Odyssey clutch freecoaster

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2017 7:12 AM

considering buying this hub. Does anyone have personal experience with it? Are the axles strong enough for grinding? Probably a stupid question but does it fit on 14mm dropouts?

|

3/26/2017 7:32 AM

DenverBMX12 wrote:

considering buying this hub. Does anyone have personal experience with it? Are the axles strong enough for grinding? Probably ...more

It's the best hub I've ever had. It has a female axle with a 14mm on one side and a 3/8" on the other. 14mm female is the best you can get for grinding. The 3/8" side, you can grind on it as well but it's quite a bit weaker. It will fit in 14mm dropouts.

There's a full 14mm version of it coming soon so I'd wait for that if you plan on grinding on both sides.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/26/2017 8:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2017 8:04 AM

This is a good version to get. The female axle on the right side uses a 14mm collar and a 3/8 bolt (fits 14mm frames, but needs a 3/8 drilled peg). The left side uses a 14mm bolt (fits 14mm dropouts and 14mm peg). The 3/8 female bolt on the right side is actually STRONGER than a traditional 14mm straight axle however for simplicity's sake the new full 14mm version is coming out (not sure if it's male or female tho).

I have used the hub before and found no flaws with it except for the easily damaged adjustable spacer mechanism inside of the hub. I ride flatland so was VERY picky about the slack and could tell if it was off by a few degrees, however for 99% of riders (even tho the spacer cracks and will back off just hair), this will not even be a remotely noticeable issue.

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

3/26/2017 9:02 AM

DenverBMX12 wrote:

considering buying this hub. Does anyone have personal experience with it? Are the axles strong enough for grinding? Probably ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

It's the best hub I've ever had. It has a female axle with a 14mm on one side and a 3/8" on the other. 14mm female is the best ...more

I looked into the v.2 hub. Seems very nice but it's 30$ more ☹️ I don't know if it's worth it to spend that much more getting something just a little more perfect than the already great v.1

|

3/26/2017 11:02 AM

DenverBMX12 wrote:

I looked into the v.2 hub. Seems very nice but it's 30$ more I don't know if it's worth it to spend that much more getting ...more

Trust me, spend the extra $30 and get the V2. It will definitely be worth it.

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

3/26/2017 1:33 PM

Metalbmxer wrote:

This is a good version to get. The female axle on the right side uses a 14mm collar and a 3/8 bolt (fits 14mm frames, but ...more

"The 3/8 female bolt on the right side is actually STRONGER than a traditional 14mm straight axle"

No it's not, at least not in terms of grinding. That 'collar' only stops that side moving around when the wheel is hit sideways. You'll still snap the bolt head off far easier than a 14mm male when grinding.

New version is 14mm female.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/26/2017 6:35 PM

Just ordered the v2 today I'm super hyped. Never grind on 3/8"

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/26/2017 7:51 PM

Wait I'm pretty sure I remember getting roasted years back for saying 14mm is better for grinding and now everyone agrees ? Whaaattt

The V1 is fairly expensive here , the V2 is probably going to be bananas here in Canada for pricing , fuck.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/26/2017 10:02 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Wait I'm pretty sure I remember getting roasted years back for saying 14mm is better for grinding and now everyone agrees ? ...more

You'd be right, in order from least to most 'strength':
3/8" male
3/8" female
14mm male
14mm female

I'd assume the reasons for the higher 'strength' of 14mm are self-explanatory...

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/27/2017 1:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2017 5:53 AM

The hubguards are garbage other than that its a great hub. i just bent the 3/8" bolt yesterday it was my fault doe but i didnt think it will last forever

|