Odyssey key chain

Related:
Create New Tag

3/4/2016 7:46 AM

So most of you will be mad at me for this,mostly xxohianxx aka odyssey know it all,but I bought the odyssey chain installed it right and had it for 2 months,never bashed it on anything just rode it,and the Allen key pin kept getting lose and my chain will fall off.ive put lock tight on it and tight it real tight and it will still get lose and soon fall off.now it has 3 stiff link I mean stiff stiff when I ride my chain hops off my sprocket its that bad.so do any of you ride the supreme chain give me a review pls

|

3/4/2016 11:27 AM

Did you ever LUBE the chain? I'm betting no.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/4/2016 11:42 AM

Yes I lubed it with lube from a bmx shop called spun in north side I know how work on a chain,idk what happen the chain got stiff links in random spots out of nowhere

|

3/4/2016 2:00 PM

Shadow Supreme /thread or even

Fly Tractor /thread2

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/4/2016 3:35 PM

Dab of Loctite on the thread. Problem solved. Also keep it lubed.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

3/4/2016 5:38 PM

Zxzbmxteam wrote:

Yes I lubed it with lube from a bmx shop called spun in north side I know how work on a chain,idk what happen the chain got ...more

Well the stiff spots are 1 of typically 4 things.

1. Needs more lube.
2. You actually hit it somewhere and didn't realize it (could have even been a minor bump somewhere)
3. Somehow it stretched so hard/weird that it deformed the plates or pins or rollers on those links.
4. Sprocket/Driver is out of round/bad chain line/damaged, giving appearance of stiff links.

If you know you didn't hit it, that leaves 3 things. Lube, damage/out of round/not aligned or stretched it out weird.

You say you lubed it. 2 things left. Damage/out of round/not aligned, stretched weird.

Check your sprocket and driver for mangled teeth and straight alignment. If they are good to go, we have determined something is wrong with those links. Figure out which ones are stiff when the chain is off your bike, look closely at them, and you will likely figure out WHY they are stiff.

BOOM. Diagnosed what the issue actually is.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/4/2016 6:49 PM

same thing happened with mine and it doesnt quit lol no point in putting loctite when its masterlink piece is the main reason people bought it for. chain lube doesnt help either ive tried white lightening on my old one and tri flow on my new one.

|

3/4/2016 11:26 PM

You shouldn't need to lube a 2 month old chain. A thorough clean might get rid of any grit that's in there causing it to stiffen. Have you tried bending the links slightly to get rid of the stiffness?

Did you definitely follow the instructions when putting it on? I believe the the master pin has to be leading when on top (going through the female link that's in front of it, not behind it when it's on the top of the rotation)

|

3/6/2016 5:48 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

You shouldn't need to lube a 2 month old chain. A thorough clean might get rid of any grit that's in there causing it to ...more

Uh yeah, I lube chains about every two or three weeks.

I don't have the instructions in front of me, but the master link should face to the right, and tighten toward the front of the bike (iirc on that). Otherwise , when you pedal, it will loosen, just like pedals on the wrong side of the bike.

|

3/6/2016 5:53 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

I don't have the instructions in front of me, but the master link ...more

Over lubed chains wear out quicker, and are more likely to develop stiff links due to grit getting stuck inbetween links/rollers
I don't think I've ever lubed a chain

|

3/6/2016 6:10 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

You shouldn't need to lube a 2 month old chain. A thorough clean might get rid of any grit that's in there causing it to ...more

tecnic1 wrote:

I don't have the instructions in front of me, but the master link ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Over lubed chains wear out quicker, and are more likely to develop stiff links due to grit getting stuck inbetween ...more

Well yeah, you gotta clean them from time to time also.

Excessive lube doesn't make things wear out faster. Like ever.

I do a lot of work with lubricated parts, and the only time over lubrication becomes an issue is when you are using friction to make stuff work/stay together (a pretty shitty design, but more common than you would think), and when it attracts dirt.

In the dirt case, over lubrication is often better because the "gobs" (for lack of a better term) of lubricant almost forms a seal. I use wax based lube on my keychain, and it fills the spaces between the plates and keeps dirt out.

I've been using one of the first run hollow keychains since, well, the first run. The only issue I had with it was a broken master link pin when it was about a year old. I replaced all three master link pins and have been rolling since.

When I first got the chain, I cleaned it in alcohol, then soaked it in a zip lock bag with that wax based lube.

About every two or three weeks, i put like one drop of lube on every pin.

About every three months, I soak it in alcohol, brush it with a small wire brush and soak it in lube again.

I run it tight as shit to clear chainstay brakes, and my chainline is pretty halfass. Fucking Barcodes. Also, my sprocket is not quite round. It's pretty much not a good situation for a chain.

So yeah, it's a lot of work, but I've never had a chain last this long. I did all the same maintenance when I was running Bluebirds, and they would last about 4-6 months before they got scary.

|

3/6/2016 9:18 AM

Over lubing a chain causes dirt and grit to stick and form a grinding compound. I know I'm right with this as I see it on a daily basis. The correct way to lube a chain is to clean it thoroughly, cake it in lube, then wipe all of the excess off. There's absolutely no need to have any lube anywhere on the outside of a chain apart from to prevent corrosion

|

3/6/2016 1:12 PM

I'd have to agree tecnic1

I overlube my chain all the time and have done so for the past 2 years and never have dirt/shit stay stuck to it. When dirt forms on it, it balls up and falls off itself right away.

Typically I do that cause I think "When was the last time I lubed my chain? Hmm better lube it now just in case it's been awhile" so I end up overlubing it at least once a month.

The lube on it also helps with crankflips. When there's no lube on it, it doesn't spin as well. When there is lube, it spins great. I think that counts as a good reason.

|

3/7/2016 12:10 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Over lubing a chain causes dirt and grit to stick and form a grinding compound. I know I'm right with this as I see it on a ...more

I ran the first run of Shadow Interlock for 5 years and lubed it monthly, cleaned it around every 2-3 months. Again, FIVE YEARS.

Currently on the second iteration of that chain, and I got it in 2012 or so. That would put us into the 4 year marker this year, and I lubed it monthly until 2013, when I stopped working at a shop where I could clean it easier. I've lubed it maybe 4-5 times since then, and it is still going well, and will likely clear that 5 year marker.

From personal experience, if you are lubing a chain around once a month, that lube is both cleaning and lubricating that chain. It goes on wet, which depending on the lube and method of putting it on the chain, can also clean some dirt and grit off. It's not as good as a thorough cleaning, drying and relubing, BUT that's why you can get that dark, gritty fluid coming off the drivetrain.

I used the drip method from a Finish Line Dry lube bottle, and even that can get some gunk off there. But the aerosol can style will get more off too. Also riding while it is a little wet can work some dirt and grit off too.

I'm glad your experience has worked for you so well, BUT a HUGE factor in that is what a person rides, how they ride, and the climate they are in. People in Arizona would typically use ONLY dry lube (alcohol based, dries quick) or a wax based lube, and should steer clear of the Wet style lubes that go on like a gel and stay wet for a lot longer-it would attract dust and dirt, acting as sandpaper in the rollers, (which would be a good choice in very wet, muddy climates like the upper Northwest of the US-Washington State-where it is rainy a lot). But also frequency and where you ride are big factors. Street rides can clean/lube a lot less often than dirt riders. People down by Florida where it is humid should be using a thicker lube regardless, as the humidity can DESTROY a bike in a season with corrosion.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/8/2016 6:16 AM

I just bought the shadow supreme I'm loving it so far,it was lubed after it was put on by the bike shop!!

|