Odyssey keychain pics.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/27/2016 7:00 PM

I want pictures of anyone and everyones keychains. No matter how long youve had it. I want to see how it looks as it ages and through different riding abuses.

|

1/27/2016 7:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2016 7:10 PM

Errrrr it still looks the same dude (since 2014). It's still that gray metallic color, I really wished it came in polished so I could use it on my 2016 build.
Photo
Too lazy to take another pic, but did you break yours or something, cause I've never heard of the keychain breaking.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/27/2016 7:11 PM

Heard of too many breaking for the price

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/27/2016 7:17 PM

Oh I forgot to mention I use the Hollow Keychain on that bike and I think Odyssey said the Hollow version is stronger.

|

1/27/2016 8:00 PM

No ive never broke one. I don't even have one yet. Im just curious of how they look and feel with age.

|

1/27/2016 9:02 PM

they look and feel the same but the only thing bad is that they chew up sprockets and drivers

|

1/27/2016 10:09 PM

It's just a chain - a 510hx or clone will last you indefinitely if you set it up properly. If you want to pay more for a premium chain, just do it but be aware that many people have broken them so nothing is perfect.

|

1/28/2016 12:01 AM

its fucking shit mate... buy a $10 chain itl last just as long, the master link strips out easy as fuck

|

1/28/2016 11:34 AM

If I could get one for 20-25 I would do it. I am actually debating it because I have some Amazon gift card $ (like 13 bucks) which would make it 20...

hmmm...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/28/2016 11:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2016 12:01 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

If I could get one for 20-25 I would do it. I am actually debating it because I have some Amazon gift card $ (like 13 bucks) which would make it 20...

hmmm...

It is quite convenient to able to connect and remove your chain with an allen key. Plus I don't believe it chews your sprocket up worse than halflink chains do.

|

1/28/2016 11:41 AM

Silentman_Man wrote:

they look and feel the same but the only thing bad is that they chew up sprockets and drivers

No they don't. Same wear as any full link, less wear than a half link.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/28/2016 11:42 AM

Caelum Persson wrote:

its fucking shit mate... buy a $10 chain itl last just as long, the master link strips out easy as fuck

Haven't had any problem with mine in 2 years. Can't blame the part for user error.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/28/2016 11:46 AM

Caelum Persson wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Haven't had any problem with mine in 2 years. Can't blame the part for user error.

so the masterlink stripping out whilst im riding is user error? interesting...

|

1/28/2016 12:36 PM

Thanks for the input guys. more pics though???

|

1/28/2016 6:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2016 6:09 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

yes they do man or at least on mine killed a brand new primo driver in 3 months cant even say it was user error cause i take all my stuff thats on the drivestrain to my lbs to get installed. id honestly just say to get a 30 dollar kmc and buy some grandstand pedals with the extra money those things are great lasted me wayy longer and wayy less problematic than my keychain

|

1/28/2016 7:49 PM

Silentman_Man wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Silentman_Man wrote:

yes they do man or at least on mine killed a brand new primo driver in 3 months cant even say it was user error cause i take all my stuff thats on the drivestrain to my lbs to get installed. id honestly just say to get a 30 dollar kmc and buy some grandstand pedals with the extra money those things are great lasted me wayy longer and wayy less problematic than my keychain

A 30 dollar KMC and some pedals for 2-3 bucks?

Ummm nope.

But I would bet there were more factors into your issue.
Did the teeth of the driver go?
Did you have brakes or use pedal pressure?
Did the BEARINGS go in the driver?
Did you clean and lube your chain?
Was it too tight?
Impacts?
Pegs on drive side?

There are SO many factors. You can't just sit here and say the chain caused the issue without some EVIDENCE to prove it.

I say that because I am coming up on around 5 years on my SECOND Interlock half link, and it has YET to break. I had the same driver for 3+ years on a Demolition hub, before that was a seconhand Profile hub.

They wouldn't have a crazy difference in wear from a regular link chain, because it is a regular link chain with a different "master link" setup and it was refined.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/28/2016 8:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2016 9:07 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

A 30 dollar KMC and some pedals for 2-3 bucks?

Ummm nope.

But I would bet there were more factors into your issue.
Did the teeth of the driver go?
Did you have brakes or use pedal pressure?
Did the BEARINGS go in the driver?
Did you clean and lube your chain?
Was it too tight?
Impacts?
Pegs on drive side?

There are SO many factors. You can't just sit here and say the chain caused the issue without some EVIDENCE to prove it.

I say that because I am coming up on around 5 years on my SECOND Interlock half link, and it has YET to break. I had the same driver for 3+ years on a Demolition hub, before that was a seconhand Profile hub.

They wouldn't have a crazy difference in wear from a regular link chain, because it is a regular link chain with a different "master link" setup and it was refined.

first off im talking about the HOLLOW key chain as ive seen soo many dudes mess up the full pinned one thats its not even worth it so yes you could get some pedals for the 7 bucks extra that you can scrap up pretty easily. secondly there are not "so many other factors" i lubed my chain on a weekly basis, i dont run a tight chain by ANY means, i dont ride rails at all, IT WAS A BRAND NEW DRIVER, the impacts i do are not crazy as all im really doing is flat things and dont mess up tricks too often, i dont use pedal pressure as im on a freecoaster, i dont even know what you mean by "did the bearings go in the driver?". this chain is honestly not that great and the people like you who have not rode the thing hype it up to be much more than its worth and i agree with the guys masterlink comment as thats where mine snapped too. some people have good experiences like ohioan and buzzbegone some people dont like me, caelum, and my friends that have rode it. the only reason im still on this thing is cause i got a free one to replace it so shoutout to odyssey for doing that but the one im on RIGHT NOW after a MONTHS use is constantly popping after each crank using a brand new clutch and la guardia. this chain is simply not that great and dont scream USER ERROR when the user did the best they could to maintain it.

|

1/28/2016 8:54 PM

Silentman_Man wrote:

first off im talking about the HOLLOW key chain as ive seen soo many dudes mess up the full pinned one thats its not even worth it so yes you could get some pedals for the 7 bucks extra that you can scrap up pretty easily. secondly there are not "so many other factors" i lubed my chain on a weekly basis, i dont run a tight chain by ANY means, i dont ride rails at all, IT WAS A BRAND NEW DRIVER, the impacts i do are not crazy as all im really doing is flat things and dont mess up tricks too often, i dont use pedal pressure as im on a freecoaster, i dont even know what you mean by "did the bearings go in the driver?". this chain is honestly not that great and the people like you who have not rode the thing hype it up to be much more than its worth and i agree with the guys masterlink comment as thats where mine snapped too. some people have good experiences like ohioan and buzzbegone some people dont like me, caelum, and my friends that have rode it. the only reason im still on this thing is cause i got a free one to replace it so shoutout to odyssey for doing that but the one im on RIGHT NOW after a MONTHS use is constantly popping after each crank using a brand new clutch and la guardia. this chain is simply not that great and dont scream USER ERROR when the user did the best they could to maintain it.

Photo

|

Refs: Josh_Ketcham, mykneeshurt (x2), Brian_Griffin, aaron.samuel.green

1/28/2016 9:06 PM

Cedrik Storm wrote: Photo

hahaha dude its just kinda frustrating a dude is accusing me of my riding style and my bike maintnence all while not even using the product hes defending lol

|

1/28/2016 9:07 PM

Rode really rough, made my drive train non-crank flippable. Broke a few links in the few months or so that I rode it. A few times I'd catch the pin getting loose. One time it came all the way out.

It wasn't a terrible chain, but I personally wouldn't buy one again. I have received better results from a $10 KMC chain.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/28/2016 9:17 PM

I ride shitty myself, already crashed 3x on my 2016 bike build. I do clean/lube my chains often on all current 4 bikes, and if not cleaning I at least brush debris off them with a dry toothbrush just for chains. That Ben is the only one running a hollow keychain.

It may have lasted for me because I rotate bikes kinda.

|

1/28/2016 9:20 PM

I really love how easy it is to remove the hollow keychain with an Allen key. I love cleaning it! If all my bikes were chicks, it's like that bike's panties come down the easiest.

|

1/28/2016 9:27 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Rode really rough, made my drive train non-crank flippable. Broke a few links in the few months or so that I rode it. A few times I'd catch the pin getting loose. One time it came all the way out.

It wasn't a terrible chain, but I personally wouldn't buy one again. I have received better results from a $10 KMC chain.

was your chain "popping" after every crank when you were unable to do crankflips? i think im going through the same thing right now and ive been trying to diagnose the issue

|

1/28/2016 9:36 PM

I don't like it that much, it's great against abuse like getting bonked here and there since it's riveted and doesn't get caught on stuff, but that master link is a joke and a half. I broke three of the full link master links inside of a month and a half. thats about every 1 and a half weeks with it breaking.

I honestly think as an IDEA it's lovely. But the pin comes loose, the chain is rather wide so you gotta be spot on the proper chain alignment as well or else you have a grinding and popping sound. I didn't have a huge struggle with that though.

It was cool to take my chain off and stuff really quickly (like if i needed to for some reason, I didn't do it often, only when i switched frames) Now, I know they do not recommend not using the master link, but if you're good with that chain breaker you CAN get it working without a master link. If you're worried about strength and stuff that is.

I wish that they could fix that damn master link because otherwise that chain would be perfect really.

On the other hand, it doesn't feel like a regular chain by any means! It literally feels more solid and stuff. Which I loved. I broke it too much and too quickly to trust it. Luckily I only paid 20$ for it and already owned the Keychain Breaker.

My brother rides it now and I'm back on a KMC 510HX Still going strong and trustworthy. I love that chain, it's one of the few I actually trust anymore. I usually replace my chains after about 6-7 months just to prevent knees to the stem really.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/28/2016 9:39 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Silentman_Man wrote:

was your chain "popping" after every crank when you were unable to do crankflips? i think im going through the same thing right now and ive been trying to diagnose the issue

It's the improper alignment or it could be the chain "breaking in". Mine stopped after a while so it's not too terrible once it's going with some grease.

I had a Sunday frame, Odyssey BB, and odyssey cranks and a gsport hub set up exactly to the spec that most of the riders for Odyssey had it, it still popped for about a week before it chilled out. It did seem to be breaking in since it's all riveted in place it's like extra stiff from the side to side loads it gets. Once it loosens up it's smooth.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/28/2016 9:39 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Silentman_Man wrote:

Nope. No noises.

I also ride a coaster which makes it harder to crank flip, but with the odyssey chain loose as could be, I'd still only get 1/2-3/4 rotation when spun by hand.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/28/2016 9:51 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

It's the improper alignment or it could be the chain "breaking in". Mine stopped after a while so it's not too terrible once it's going with some grease.

I had a Sunday frame, Odyssey BB, and odyssey cranks and a gsport hub set up exactly to the spec that most of the riders for Odyssey had it, it still popped for about a week before it chilled out. It did seem to be breaking in since it's all riveted in place it's like extra stiff from the side to side loads it gets. Once it loosens up it's smooth.

my chain is pretty spot on and i think its had more than enough of a break in period (got it last month) and @hardbmx_TIM im having the same issue with crankflips so i think im just gonna go back to a KMC, thanks for the replies though guys

|

1/28/2016 10:40 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Nope. No noises.

I also ride a coaster which makes it harder to crank flip, but with the odyssey chain loose as could be, I'd still only get 1/2-3/4 rotation when spun by hand.

could it of been that your cranks or cones were to tight?

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

1/29/2016 4:37 AM

I love being able to read the different perspectives of everyones experience with this chain. Thank you. For all the input. Still cant make up my mind between the shadow supreme and the keychain.

|

1/29/2016 7:02 AM

aussiebmxer wrote:

could it of been that your cranks or cones were to tight?

i think i can answer this Q for him, but no i slammed my wheel fully and at a time had the crank wobbling on the spindle and still had problems flipping cranks, you can lube it all you want but itll feel "crunchy" and not good in my experience, just like it did when you first break it in. thats just what i went through tho cuz it seems to be a different chain for everybody

|