Odyssey quik linear cable

Related:
Create New Tag

4/6/2021 10:33 AM

https://shop.odysseybmx.com/products/linear-quik-slic-kable

So I messed up the first time around with the cable that comes with the Springfield brakes and cut it too short. I was looking around seen Odyssey sells this, so picked one up via Ebay. I figured no cutting just hook them in and good to go...NOPE! I have to areas under the TT to screw in a stop for the barrel adjuster. The one closes to the ST makes for too much slack to the point the little ends of the hanger won't even stay in and the one stop in the middle makes so that the cable won't reach it. I know it comes with a piece to cut the piece that goes in your lever, but one how do I go about cutting that and making sure there is enough pull too?

|

REF: HELLOMYNAMEISRAD, CKY99

4/6/2021 11:07 AM

I have the same cable, or should I say, kable. Anyways, the cable is pretty long. I installed it, and figured out how long I wanted it, and how much I would need to cut off. That was easy. I cut a few inches if I remember correctly. Anyways, if there is too much slack, tighten the little nut attached to the bolt on the TT that has the wire part of the cable running through it. That will slightly pull the brake, and eliminate most of the slack. If that still doesn’t work, the thing that hooks the ST cable that has the barrel things on the ends that go into the brake might need to be tightened. To do this, you have to unscrew the bolt on top (It’s right in front of the ST, attached to the cable and hanging freely) and pull the cable back, and tighten the bolt down. Other than that, just keep messing with it if none of that works.

I hope I explained everything well enough. Hope this helps!!

PS: here’s the link to my bike check. My bike shown in the pictures has the Springfield brake kit, and if you look closely at the brakes it might help you out. Idk
Anyways here it is

|

4/6/2021 11:07 AM

Also maybe send some pics regarding what you’re talking about

|

4/6/2021 11:16 AM

The thing is the cable isn't really meant to be cut or is made as such. You can cut the knarp off at the lever and feed a screw type knarp onto the cut wire and adjust that way, but like would it be best to just cut right at the end tighten the knarp sit in place and mess with the adjustments and once it feels good...cut the excess off?

|

4/6/2021 11:20 AM

Do you think the cable is too long? Cuz if not, then you can just install it. Even if it is too long, it won’t really affect how it pulls

|

4/6/2021 12:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2021 12:10 PM

Andrew=$ wrote:

Do you think the cable is too long? Cuz if not, then you can just install it. Even if it is too long, it won’t really affect how it pulls

Yeah it's too long. Oh well...money lost and lesson learned. lol - I'm just gonna get a reg slic cable and adjust BEFORE I cut this time.

|

4/6/2021 9:20 PM

There's two versions a medium and a long. Which one did you get?

|

4/6/2021 9:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2021 9:39 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

There's two versions a medium and a long. Which one did you get?

Apparently, the long. I bought it on EBAY and the seller didn't say what size it was. Also why didn't I buy at my LBS? My LBS is Vital bmx's most hated. I've never shopped there in person because I just got back into BMX. Also He didn't have it in stock anyway.

|

4/6/2021 10:08 PM

If you still have the packaging the long is 100mm and the medium is 90mm. I use the medium and my frame has a 13.5"-13.75" CS.

If this area is too long:
Photo

You can always cut the below mark and then use the hangar that came with your Springfield kit:
Photo

|

4/7/2021 10:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2021 10:05 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

If you still have the packaging the long is 100mm and the medium is 90mm. I use the medium and my frame has a 13.5"-13.75" CS.

If this area is too long:
Photo

You can always cut the below mark and then use the hangar that came with your Springfield kit:
Photo

The odd thing is the first cable I cut short is longer. I cut it a few inches too short, but didn't realize until after I cut the cable after checking the brakes and realizing they could prob be a bit more better, but then I realized not enough cable. I ordered a slic cable for now. In hindsight I should have bought the "adjustable" version of the quik cable.

|

4/7/2021 1:08 PM

I have yet to see a quick slic work out of the box. Something is always off. Both Kink and Odyssey cables.

|

4/7/2021 1:33 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

I have yet to see a quick slic work out of the box. Something is always off. Both Kink and Odyssey cables.

Mine worked fine on my fit frame

|

It’s all bmx

4/7/2021 2:23 PM

You could cut the end and use a knarp. The bit that sits in the lever. Or extend the barrel adjuster with overlapping barrel adjusters until it tightens up.

|

4/7/2021 3:11 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Which one? You've had like 300 frames/bikes over the years and constantly change things around.

|

4/7/2021 4:18 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Mine was 100% plug and play on my V1 Tall Boy (using the medium). Completely makes setup/ removal a breeze.

|

4/7/2021 5:04 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Which one? You've had like 300 frames/bikes over the years and constantly change things around.

Both fit frames I had

|

It’s all bmx

4/7/2021 5:52 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Mine was 100% plug and play on my V1 Tall Boy (using the medium). Completely makes setup/ removal a breeze.

Yeah apparently a med is what I needed. Like I said...lesson learned. I may not even keep brakes on as I was brakeless before I stopped riding in the mid 2000s.

|

4/7/2021 6:07 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Tried both on my MOD when I was in a pinch and neither had the correct spacing to make my brakes work well, same thing with my buddy's Steadfast and Trailboss. Must be something about CS brakes.

|

4/7/2021 6:27 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Tried both on my MOD when I was in a pinch and neither had the correct spacing to make my brakes work well, same thing with my buddy's Steadfast and Trailboss. Must be something about CS brakes.

My fit trl had CS brakes and it worked although I had to have the barrel adjuster on the cable all the way out

|

It’s all bmx

4/7/2021 6:37 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

My fit trl had CS brakes and it worked although I had to have the barrel adjuster on the cable all the way out

Yeah same. I had no adjustability. That doesn't work for me.

|

4/7/2021 7:18 PM

Kind of related. I cut this part off my quick slick, I’m doing to drill a hole thru it and with a cable knarp try to use it with my gyro cable.
Photo

|

It’s all bmx

4/7/2021 8:16 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Kind of related. I cut this part off my quick slick, I’m doing to drill a hole thru it and with a cable knarp try to use it with my gyro cable.
Photo

Photo

Looks like the Kink 1pc cable already comes with that functionality. Doesn't look as clunky either.
|

4/7/2021 8:48 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Photo

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote: Photo

Looks like the Kink 1pc cable already comes with that functionality. Doesn't look as clunky either.

True, but I already had this cable laying around. Just a fun experiment.

|

It’s all bmx