Of the people who ride brakeless, how many of you ride on the street?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2019 9:42 AM

Not street riding I mean literally down the road with cars. I wanna go brakeless since the raw marks on my black back wheel (on my all black bike) make me die inside but I just can't do it because so many people around me seem to think you only need to look AFTER you back out of your driveway and two fingers on a lever is a lot faster than a foot to the wheel.

|

6"3' on a kids bike, no I don't take myself seriously either.

2/3/2019 10:26 AM

Among the reasons not to use brakes, fucking up your rim seems to be one of the dumbest.

|

2/3/2019 10:33 AM

Brakeless and I ride to the spot, which is on the other side of town... Definitely wanna be aware... No looking at your phone while you ride. Expect an obstacle anywhere you can't see. Take into account that you're a plit second slower on the brakes without a lever... I often already have my foot off the pedal when it seems a car may turn in at me, or cut me off... Look ahead for possible problems. You'll be good.

|

2/3/2019 11:53 AM

Seems like a dumb reason to go brakeless really. But you'll become more aware of what's going on around you. Instead of pedalling flat out and jamming your brake on when you need to, you'll just ride slower and be more conscious of your surroundings

|

2/3/2019 12:00 PM

But... but... them 540 hurricanes.

|

2/3/2019 12:11 PM

JPC wrote:

Among the reasons not to use brakes, fucking up your rim seems to be one of the dumbest.

yeah definitely I wasn't planning to just wanted to know how safe people feel riding without them, as in is do people fee so confident that they do it for a dumbass reason like mine haha.

|

2/3/2019 12:12 PM

OldNinTheWay wrote:

Brakeless and I ride to the spot, which is on the other side of town... Definitely wanna be aware... No looking at your phone while you ride. Expect an obstacle anywhere you can't see. Take into account that you're a plit second slower on the brakes without a lever... I often already have my foot off the pedal when it seems a car may turn in at me, or cut me off... Look ahead for possible problems. You'll be good.

Seems doable but not for me haha. Rather buy a new rim and feel safe tbh, but hey I'm a pussy.

|

2/3/2019 12:48 PM

I've always rode Brakeless just never cared for brakes on my bmx bikes I'm no tech wizard so I really never needed them

|

brakeless maniac

2/3/2019 12:49 PM

You will blow,through your shoes a lot quicker lol

|

brakeless maniac

2/3/2019 1:21 PM

JPC wrote:

And that they're "too heavy"

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/3/2019 7:12 PM

I ride brakeless sidewalk.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

2/3/2019 8:35 PM

I commute and do deliveries on a brakeless bike in one of the biggest cities in the US. It hasn't been an issue for me since about the third day that I took the brakes off. Stop and go traffic (ie: traffic lights) are a bit of a hassle but that's it.

Just take em off and give it a try, if you dont like it you can always put them back on

|

2/3/2019 8:59 PM

on the comment about people only looking AFTER they back out of their driveways... fuck those people. people do that shit here and it irritates the hell out of me, same with when they make a right turn and ONLY look left. I've almost gotten hit several times.

One time I was crossing and this fuckass went to go and only as he was starting to turn he looked back to the right and saw me, slammed on his brakes. I didn't even flinch, I was just astounded at the stupidity this person had. Called him a dumb fuckin idiot and he yells back "Ex..CUSE ME?" I yell back "I said you're a dumb fuckin idiot."

I guess he thought I was gonna be one of those people who just back down cause all he said was "oh you motherfucker." then drove off. I just yell at those people now and it's so funny to me cause THEY'RE in the wrong but get so offended.

also, brakeless riding only ruins your shoes if you drag your foot like an idiot. Fishtail kicks, lightly stomping your foot or riding through grass will slow you down gradually, jamming your foot into your back tire in between the frame will stop instantly. Neither of those methods ruin my shoes

|

2/4/2019 12:23 AM

I ride brakeless and I ride between spots and to work on my bike. It definitely makes me more aware of my surroundings as I know I can't stop suddenly so I'm constantly looking for any hazards that might occur. I also ride slower than if I had brakes and I anticipate things like red lights, crossings and driveways so that I'm starting to slow down well in advance so that I don't need to use my foot to brake

|

2/4/2019 2:31 AM

Just get a chrome rim man, stylish and efficient.

|

2/4/2019 6:11 AM

I run brakeless, I ride street and commute on my bike. I will say I have to be extra aware of my surroundings when I ride

|

2/4/2019 6:43 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

on the comment about people only looking AFTER they back out of their driveways... fuck those people. people do that shit here and it irritates the hell out of me, same with when they make a right turn and ONLY look left. I've almost gotten hit several times.

One time I was crossing and this fuckass went to go and only as he was starting to turn he looked back to the right and saw me, slammed on his brakes. I didn't even flinch, I was just astounded at the stupidity this person had. Called him a dumb fuckin idiot and he yells back "Ex..CUSE ME?" I yell back "I said you're a dumb fuckin idiot."

I guess he thought I was gonna be one of those people who just back down cause all he said was "oh you motherfucker." then drove off. I just yell at those people now and it's so funny to me cause THEY'RE in the wrong but get so offended.

also, brakeless riding only ruins your shoes if you drag your foot like an idiot. Fishtail kicks, lightly stomping your foot or riding through grass will slow you down gradually, jamming your foot into your back tire in between the frame will stop instantly. Neither of those methods ruin my shoes

Yup. Plus fishtail kicks look good

|