Oh no not another chain question

Related:
Create New Tag

5/5/2016 7:49 AM

I am so sorry for flooding the forum with yet another chain question. This is literally my last resort to find a chain that may actually last me longer than a few weeks. I am wondering what chains you guys would recommend for me. I ride all street with some very tech park and I run 4 pegs and use them all the time. I started with a kmc 410h chain and it broke in one week. I than went on to a shadow conspiracy interlock v2 chain. That is literally the only chain the didn't break but I am not a fan of it. For one it costs over 60 dollars in Canada and you have to press in the stupid master pin every time you take the chain off. This becomes a huge pain when you are at the park and need to adjust some thing. It also didn't seem to roll properly over my guarded sprocket and made nasty grinding noises the entire time I rode. After that chain I went to a kmc 510hx chain. It lasted me a couple of weeks but this is my third one that I have bent at the master link. This one is literally hanging on by a mm of the pin and I know it is going to break soon to. So I am wondering what chains do you guys run and how are they. Right now I am looking that the odyssey bluebird or keychain but I can't buy them around here and I have heard some questionable things about them. Thanks for your help.

|

5/5/2016 7:56 AM

Don't use the split link on a full link chain. I run kmc 410 and if I snap a link I just replace it. Whilst learning crank arm slides I snapped it 4 times in a day, and each time I just replaced a full link. Luckily I get them at a 5 finger discount from work but I'm only on my second in over 2 years and I probably could've left the old one on a lot longer

|

5/5/2016 9:14 AM

Don't use masterlinks! I run the fly tractor chain and have only broken it once in a year and a half of riding it. Might try out a hoder chain soon though.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/5/2016 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2016 9:19 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Don't use the split link on a full link chain. I run kmc 410 and if I snap a link I just replace it. Whilst learning crank arm ...more

I agree. I've been running a KMC Z410 since the beginning. What I recommend is not using the master link, but rather keep a chain breaker handy and just run 100% full links, no master. I do tons of those stalls where I keep accidentally hitting my sprocket (No, I don't run a guard sprocket.) and whenever a link is damaged, it takes like 2 minutes to replace and I'm good for a while. As Steve said, these last a good while, even if you don't bash your chain frequently.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/5/2016 10:23 AM

With all this being said. If you run a half link chain, you have to remember they're not designed to be split. You should fit it once and leave it. They usually come with a master pin for installation, but once it's in it should be left in. Add half a link if your chain is so short you can't move your wheel forward to take it off without splitting it.

|

5/5/2016 10:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2016 10:43 AM

You can get a sprocket with a guard and a drive side hub guard and that should end all chain breaking problemsor f you dont want to spend money on a whole sprocket you can get a shadow disaster guard, a cheap KMC chain, and a cheap drive side hubguard. That should totally protect the chain for any sort of bashing

|

5/5/2016 10:46 AM

Coopers25 wrote:

You can get a sprocket with a guard and a drive side hub guard and that should end all chain breaking problemsor f you dont ...more

I already have a guarded sprocket and all 4 hub guards and still have the problem.

|

5/5/2016 11:47 AM

How tight do you run your chain and how is your actual chain line? You mentioned some grinding when you used a shadow chain, that's why I ask. If your chain line is off it adds alot of stress especially if it's also to tight.

|

5/5/2016 11:59 AM

BoBo_Jenkins wrote:

How tight do you run your chain and how is your actual chain line? You mentioned some grinding when you used a shadow chain, ...more

I just thought this too. If you've got a hub guard and guarded sprocket, you can't be snapping chains by landing on them. It sounds like something else is causing it. If your chain is too tight you'll prematurely wear everything. If your driver or sprocket are worn, the chain won't engage properly. If it's too tight and not engaging properly something has to give

|

5/5/2016 5:48 PM

Odyssey keychain/thread

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

5/5/2016 6:00 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Don't use masterlinks! I run the fly tractor chain and have only broken it once in a year and a half of riding it. Might try ...more

Why no masterlink? I've never once broken a masterlink as long as I've been riding.

OP, if you're breaking chains all the time... Check to see if there's something messed up with your chain alignment first.

Also, the Odyssey Bluebird IS a KMC 510 chain, which you've already had you said... So, I'd go with the Odyssey Keychain just because of how strong it's claimed to be (Never used it personally so I can't say if it is or not myself).

|

5/5/2016 6:27 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Don't use masterlinks! I run the fly tractor chain and have only broken it once in a year and a half of riding it. Might try ...more

How the fuck did you break it the same fucking chain literally broke my fuckin breaker tool .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/5/2016 8:45 PM

Yeah... I've never legitly snapped a chain (knock on wood), nor a master link as long as I've been riding.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

5/5/2016 8:50 PM

odyssey keychain is beefy and cool and all but ive broken 2 directly at the masterlink from normal riding (i dont grind) and if your drive chain isn't completely striaight it doesnt feel good at all. just my two cents

|

5/5/2016 9:33 PM

Call me biased, but here are the only two chains that are worth looking at:

-http://www.odysseybmx.com/dailyword/2014/05/key-chain-available-now/
-http://www.theshadowconspiracy.com/the-shadow-interlock-supreme-chain/

The advantage with the Keychain is that it is not going to stretch: a full link chain has parallel plates; the half link ones are crooked and bent (so when you pedal, the half links will try to become straight again). The good thing is that it won't stretch forever. The bad news is that the stretching period might cover a few months if you don't really ride that much.

Durability has always been contested, but ODSY Keychains are prone to have a sort of problem at the master link. You actually have quite a lot of people on here having snapped a Keychain. Apart from that, keychains are great.

The only gripe that you here with Shadow Interlocks is the stretching and problem that you have encountered with chain fixes at the skatepark. They don't have a reputation to break (unless you don't use the master link and a normal skinny one -.-).

My advice for your situation and your reputation with chains:

1/Check that chain alignment. Fix it! Make it straight as possible.

2/As you are hard on chains, here is what I think could solve your problems for ever:

Replace your guarded sprocket with an unguarded one. The newer, unguarded version should be a bit thicker as to have more or less the same strength. Go back to Shadow Conspiracy, and this time, save up for the Interlock Supreme instead of the normal V2. It might be more expensive, but it's going to last for your whole life and is more durable than a plate of 3 ft thick cold iron.

And hey, if I could get my parts on this side of the world, you, being in Canada, should have no problems at all!

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/6/2016 8:10 AM

Thanks to everybody that posted. When you said to check my chain line that gave me an aha moment. If you remember I have a problem with my cranks being worn out and wiggling from side to side when I pedal.... This makes the chain run different ways as the sprocket moves with the cranks. This must be causing me to break chains really quickly. I will be looking into a new set of cranks to hopefully solve this problem for good.

|

5/6/2016 8:17 AM

Check the teeth on your sprocket and driver too, if they're worn or deformed you'll continue to have problems even with the new cranks.

|

5/6/2016 9:12 AM

joshcooldude wrote:

odyssey keychain is beefy and cool and all but ive broken 2 directly at the masterlink from normal riding (i dont grind) and ...more

I broke one. After a year of running it too tight with a fucked up chainline. I replaced the pin and have another year and change on it.

Get a Hollow Keychain.

|