Ok, seriously, the fuck is this shit...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/4/2018 4:57 PM

So, my Odyssey Clutch V2 that isn't even 4 months old, sounds like absolute shit... it clicks like a cassette and squeaks like and old rusty chain... I did all the maintenance to it and watched George French's disassembly/assembly video before I took it apart for the first time, took absolutely amazing care if this hub, never rode in rain or anything. Only used Mobile One Synthetic bearing grease to grease the hub as well, and that's exactly what the guys at Odyssey told me to use... So, here's some vides of the weird ass noises it's making, turn up your volume so you can hear it as my phone's microphone sucks ass lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/4/2018 5:03 PM

Hmmm I'm still thinking about buying the Clutch V2; in chrome of course. That noise wouldn't bother me too much.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

6/4/2018 5:10 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

Hmmm I'm still thinking about buying the Clutch V2; in chrome of course. That noise wouldn't bother me too much.

It's just bothering me is becasue I have other buddies who have the Clutch V2 and they said they aren't having these problems with it... just the creaking noise makes me feel like it's about to lock up... so for real I'm not going to ride it until I find out the answer and fix it, I'm pretty paranoid about it honestly....

|

6/4/2018 5:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/4/2018 5:18 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

It's just bothering me is becasue I have other buddies who have the Clutch V2 and they said they aren't having these problems with it... just the creaking noise makes me feel like it's about to lock up... so for real I'm not going to ride it until I find out the answer and fix it, I'm pretty paranoid about it honestly....

At least ride it to the store or gas station...your bike is too beautiful to not ride. I keep adding to your number of views on your bike check from looking at it everyday lol

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

6/4/2018 5:20 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Buzzbegone wrote:

At least ride it to the store or gas station...your bike is too beautiful to not ride. I keep adding to your number of views on your bike check from looking at it everyday lol

Lol thanks dude! I don't really need to rode to the gas station or the store lol, I mean my bike doesn't need gas lol (jk I know what you meant, go there for beer/cigs) but I don't smoke or drink lmao

Thanks alot though! She rides as good as she looks!

|

6/4/2018 5:31 PM

Sounds like the large drive-side bearing may be dry/seized. Take it out, spin it and pop the seals off to check it. Failing that, it could be your needle bearing but that's highly unlikely. If neither, post up pictures of each individual part and how you have them together.

Also sounds like your chain is dry...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/4/2018 5:44 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Sounds like the large drive-side bearing may be dry/seized. Take it out, spin it and pop the seals off to check it. Failing that, it could be your needle bearing but that's highly unlikely. If neither, post up pictures of each individual part and how you have them together.

Ok, will do... but I literally just lubed my chain yesterday lol...

|

6/4/2018 6:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/4/2018 6:06 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

What kind of tension is on the chain? Too much, you'll prematurely kill that large bearing and your driver. Too little, you'll also prematurely wear out your driver.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/4/2018 6:36 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

What kind of tension is on the chain? Too much, you'll prematurely kill that large bearing and your driver. Too little, you'll also prematurely wear out your driver.

It's not too much I'll tell you that, with the chain on and everything the cranks do about one full rotation. And you can move the chain up and down with your hand, so it shouldn't be chain tension I don't think...

I've got it all apart now, I'm just leaving to go look at a dirt bike so I had to pause this ordeal, gonna finish looking at everything when I get back and get back to you guys to let you know if anything has changed...

|

6/4/2018 6:38 PM

I know what's wrong with it.

OCD.

The constant showroom condition of your bike. The little scratch that you found on your rim that time. The front wheel sqeak.

It all points to that one thing.

|

6/4/2018 6:52 PM

jbales wrote:

OCD.

The constant showroom condition of your bike. The little scratch that you found on your rim that time. The front wheel sqeak.

Wow, lmao thanks

I can tell you one thing though, when you buy a $190 hub, it shouldn't be squeaking and clicking lol

|

6/4/2018 7:02 PM

jbales wrote:

OCD.

i rawed my frame had the final coat of clear coat on all drying in the sun and mothafuckin bird took a big ole shit on my frame at that moment in time i gave up on caring about my bike lol i was so upset i wanted kill every bird but sadly theres houses around me so cant just be buckin shots like that

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/4/2018 7:17 PM

Use conventional oil not synthetic oil.

|

6/4/2018 7:20 PM

I didn’t watch the videos but I’m tbinking maybe there’s shards from the clutch rubbing in some weird spot , although my best guess is your bearings probably shit the bed . If you gotta insta shoot me a message and I’ll send videos of what mine is like with over a year and haven’t opened it once lmao

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/4/2018 8:04 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I didn’t watch the videos but I’m tbinking maybe there’s shards from the clutch rubbing in some weird spot , although my best guess is your bearings probably shit the bed . If you gotta insta shoot me a message and I’ll send videos of what mine is like with over a year and haven’t opened it once lmao

Yeah I already follow you on Insta lol

I'll send you over a DM, and I'll include the links to what my hub sounds like as well...

|

6/4/2018 8:10 PM

thairishguy wrote:

Use conventional oil not synthetic oil.

Oil? Ya mean grease lol?

But the synthetic grease is what the guys at Odyssey said to use lol...

|

6/4/2018 8:19 PM

UPDATE:

So I took the whole damn thing apart, AGAIN. And now the non drive side bearing doesn't want to go all te way in, well, why the fuck would the non drive side bearing want to go in, eh? Fuckin joke this hub is in swear, I talked to Phillip at Odyssey and he said, "Super weird. Maybe juat some break in? I have never heard that noise before. So your guess is as good as mine."

So I mean yeah, I really don't know guys, I'm just heated over the whole thing... I'm just pissed and don't know what the fuck is wrong...

And, about the non drive side bearing going in, it won't go in so the c-clip won't even go in, so it's not even rideable, so it's almost 10:30pm here, I'm going to go to bed and work on it in the morning, way too pissed off right now to work on it... And hopefully I can get ahold of Phillip over the phone tomorrow, I called today and I guess he wasn't there when I called, so hopefully I can talk to him tomorrow and get this ordeal taken care of...
|

6/4/2018 9:03 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote: UPDATE:

So I took the whole damn thing apart, AGAIN. And now the non drive side bearing doesn't want to go all te way in, well, why the fuck would the non drive side bearing want to go in, eh? Fuckin joke this hub is in swear, I talked to Phillip at Odyssey and he said, "Super weird. Maybe juat some break in? I have never heard that noise before. So your guess is as good as mine."

So I mean yeah, I really don't know guys, I'm just heated over the whole thing... I'm just pissed and don't know what the fuck is wrong...

And, about the non drive side bearing going in, it won't go in so the c-clip won't even go in, so it's not even rideable, so it's almost 10:30pm here, I'm going to go to bed and work on it in the morning, way too pissed off right now to work on it... And hopefully I can get ahold of Phillip over the phone tomorrow, I called today and I guess he wasn't there when I called, so hopefully I can talk to him tomorrow and get this ordeal taken care of...

I was lurking, saw this post and had to login to comment and say that, That's some excellent tech support from the fine team over at Odyssey.

|

6/4/2018 10:38 PM

Cellmember wrote:

I was lurking, saw this post and had to login to comment and say that, That's some excellent tech support from the fine team over at Odyssey.

I just got an Email from Phillip again, he said he'd give me a call tomorrow and we'll work something out, but yeah, I read that at first and I was like, really, that's it, just some break in?

|

6/4/2018 11:21 PM

I can summarize it in 4 words:

Because it’s a freecoaster

|

6/4/2018 11:31 PM

That would mean that the friction mechanism is not sitting into the clutch properly.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

6/5/2018 1:54 AM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

i rawed my frame had the final coat of clear coat on all drying in the sun and mothafuckin bird took a big ole shit on my frame at that moment in time i gave up on caring about my bike lol i was so upset i wanted kill every bird but sadly theres houses around me so cant just be buckin shots like that

Actually lol'd

|

Hmmm

6/5/2018 1:56 AM

It's the Texas heat, you need to keep it hydrated or its performance will drop.

|

Hmmm

6/5/2018 1:58 AM

It's a legit way of getting YouTube views. But I think you need better click bait titles

|

6/5/2018 2:58 AM

I'd love to mess about with a freecoaster, but shit like this puts me off. I'd get in touch with Odyssey, could just be a faulty one.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

6/5/2018 4:48 AM

Well, Initially I'd say the "cassette" sound is from chain tension. That's what it sounds like to me from the second video. But the 1st video squeak is odd & I've got nothing to say other than it sounds like a "rub squeak" meaning two dry surfaces are rubbing against each other. Maybe a bearing is locked up under tension & is spinning in it's space? Also, in the 1st video, it sounds like the "cassette" sound engages with the smallest amount of back pedal.... is that the case? If so....????

|

6/5/2018 5:09 AM

Sounds dumb and I am sure it was mentioned (I didn't read all the comments) but make sure your spokes are tensioned correctly. Loose spokes will creak and can make a coaster "click like a cassette". After that pop it apart and check all bearings (remove them from the hub) for issues-stiffness, indexing (where it feels like it has a click) dryness, junk in em. Clean them out and relube (use a thinner oil and not grease in the cartridge bearings-I use wet chain lube). Then clean off all parts using brake cleaner/degreaser, let if FULLY dry overnight while apart. Then put it all back together with ample grease.

If it still is causing issues, check your axle and see if there is a bend issue.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/5/2018 5:12 AM

Also check to see if any hub guard stuff is hitting spokes. I had a little of that with my non drive hub guard (using on drive side currently because I am too cheap to get a new one). Clicked like a cassette and made the wheel roll like crap til I adjusted the position a bit. Works like a champ now.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/5/2018 6:26 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

That would mean that the friction mechanism is not sitting into the clutch properly.

I made sure that drag mech was seated properly, I just woke up so I'm going to get working on it again and swe what's up...

|

6/5/2018 6:59 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Haven't opened mine once, I rinsed it once with WD-40 and I regrease it every month and half or so, mine is still good too.

|