Old Fat Guy Looking for 26 or 29 Cruiser

Related:
Create New Tag

2/11/2017 4:55 AM

Hi. Possibly in the market. Not looking to race, jump, etc etc. Just around town stuff. LBS around me are not really BMX oriented at all, so I'm guessing I'll have to order online. SE seems to have alot of choices, but can I do better with a less known company for the price? My cap for this is $500...although I'd rather not spend that if I don't have too. Not much in the way of used in my area. Any recommendations? Anyone perhaps have a comprehensive list of bikes with prices and good places to order from ? I'm 44 5'11" 225 Thanks in advance for the help

|

2/11/2017 5:03 AM

24" has a ton more options, and you will be just as, if not more comfortable on one. I'd say look into 24" for sure. Those are the best, most comfortable cruiser bikes.

|

2/11/2017 5:41 AM

My worry about the 24 is that its just too small. I bought my son a 20" Quad a few years ago. I know when I ride that I feel bent over and uncomfortable. It sucks because all the LBS around here only carry road bikes and MTB, so I cant even test ride anything. I suppose there are just not enough kids that are into it around here. Im really just going to be riding this to the train station and shirt jaunts around town. No offroad or parks. Right now I ride a Scott Urban bike and a Raleigh SS. Kinda wanted something similar in size, but with a BMX feel, fat tires and what not

Anyone have any experience with 26" GT Performer or OM Flyer 26"? They are a couple that have caught my eye so far

|

2/11/2017 6:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2017 6:35 AM

A 24 will feel the same size as a 26 or 29 even a 20, if they have the same top tube size. Your son had a kid size 20". That's probably a 20" top tube with 20" wheels. You need an adult size. Probably at least 21" but if you want a lot of extra room look for a 22" top tube. Quadrangles are for flatland I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a 19.5 top tube. I'd be very cramped on that too. I ride a 20.75 TT 20" wheels. Feels perfect. When I sit my arms are almost completely stretched out. I'm 5'9" btw

|

2/11/2017 6:50 AM

Thanks. You're 100% right. He has a quadangle freestyle and the bike is really "long" and stretched out as opposed to "high" . I appreciate the knowledge and guidelines

|

2/11/2017 7:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2017 7:43 AM

If you want a 26" I'd get a Fairdale Taj! cool

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

2/11/2017 8:31 AM

SE is going to have the best bang for your buck, compared to a smaller company. They have more buying power than smaller companies.

If you're only cruising, go for 26 or 29. It will be far more comfy than a 24.

|