Old dog, new tricks

Related:
Create New Tag

5/31/2018 1:00 PM

Hi

I havent ridden for 10 years and am going to start again. I used to ride street brakeless, and some park and trails. But will probably just ride park and occasionally trails now. I am looking for advice on complete setups

I used to ride a 20.75 federal frame, but will probably want a 21 now. Am 5'11

Any help would be welcome as I dont recognise a lot of company names anymore!

Thanks

Am in UK too

|

5/31/2018 1:04 PM

The most important question is: what's your budget? There's a silly amount of completes out there now. And geometry has changed quite a bit, so a trailsy sort of set up will be closer to what you used to ride.
Second hand custom builds on Facebook groups are always a good option. Kids build good bikes then quit and sell a £1000 bike for £200

I'm in the UK too, and also an older guy smile
Welcome back to bmx

|

5/31/2018 1:16 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The most important question is: what's your budget? There's a silly amount of completes out there now. And geometry has changed quite a bit, so a trailsy sort of set up will be closer to what you used to ride.
Second hand custom builds on Facebook groups are always a good option. Kids build good bikes then quit and sell a £1000 bike for £200

Welcome back to bmx

Thanks steve

Facebook is a good shout. Budget is about 500, and would like to not have to change many parts to start with.

|

5/31/2018 1:23 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Welcome back to bmx

mrbags wrote:

Thanks steve

Facebook is a good shout. Budget is about 500, and would like to not have to change many parts to start with.

You can get a real good custom build for around that budget. Join the s&m UK group, pretty sure I've seen a few bikes on there. Also, most of the bigger groups are full of kids that don't really know what they're talking about. Some of the midschool groups, and new school bmx life, are mostly older guys that are selling legitimate good bikes at reasonable prices. You could pick up a bike for 200-300 pretty easily. Then use the rest of your budget to dial it in

|

5/31/2018 1:31 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Welcome back to bmx

mrbags wrote:

Thanks steve

grumpySteve wrote:

You can get a real good custom build for around that budget. Join the s&m UK group, pretty sure I've seen a few bikes on there. Also, most of the bigger groups are full of kids that don't really know what they're talking about. Some of the midschool groups, and new school bmx life, are mostly older guys that are selling legitimate good bikes at reasonable prices. You could pick up a bike for 200-300 pretty easily. Then use the rest of your budget to dial it in

thank. Whats the s&m group?

Think youre right, ill save the cash and try and find a second hand one.

|

5/31/2018 1:32 PM

mrbags wrote:

Thanks steve

grumpySteve wrote:

mrbags wrote:

thank. Whats the s&m group?

Think youre right, ill save the cash and try and find a second hand one.

facebook! got it

|

5/31/2018 1:46 PM

I'll have a quick look now. You might have a group local to you too. Plus if you see something that takes your fancy but don't know much about it, post it here and we can tell you if it's good/worth the asking price

|

6/2/2018 12:18 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'll have a quick look now. You might have a group local to you too. Plus if you see something that takes your fancy but don't know much about it, post it here and we can tell you if it's good/worth the asking price

What about these 3? There’s a lot of chat about mid school and new school . What’s with that?

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/3/2018 2:42 PM

Personally I would consider that S&M, it isn’t light compared to the other 2 but it is set for any type riding. But, the Total is nice, has pinch bolt cranks which in time (sometimes short time) cause problems. The Tall Order is a good frame but it would be my 3rd pick because I am not sure what wheels are on it and the fact it has 2 different colored wheels leads me to wonder if either is anything good. Rare you order 2 totally different color wheels unless it’s chrome rims for brakes and a color front to match everything else

|