Old school forks and stems

Related:
Create New Tag

2/3/2018 7:15 PM

Can you use a quill stem with newer forks and vis versa?

|

2/3/2018 7:19 PM

No... New school stuff is 1-1/8" so a quill stem won't fit correctly. Also, new school forks are threadless.

|

2/3/2018 7:20 PM

I can't say I've ever seen a 1-1/8" quill stem so I'd highly doubt it's doable. Newer forks and stems are built for 1-1/8" so using them either way on old 1" quill setup isn't doable.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/4/2018 4:28 AM

Yeah as mishinn said the Forks are threadless so you would have no way to tighten the headset

|

Hmmm

2/4/2018 5:12 AM

1 1/8th quilled stems exist. As do the threaded forks that go with them. But not in bmx. It's kinda counter productive, 1 1/8th is stronger, clamp on stems are stronger, threadless forks are stronger.

A few companies made 1" threadless forks with clamp on stems during the transition to 1 1/8th (pointless information)

|

2/4/2018 7:09 AM

I seem to recall an adapter that allows usage of 1-1/8" forks with 1" quill stems. Don't know why you'd bother though.

|

2/4/2018 9:16 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I seem to recall an adapter that allows usage of 1-1/8" forks with 1" quill stems. Don't know why you'd bother though.

That doesn't really seem possible, not without some machining. The other way around might work. How could you turn 1-1/8, into 1" without machining it down?

|

2/4/2018 9:25 AM

You can get adapters to use a 1 1/8th stem on 1" threaded forks. It's basically the shaft, the stem clamps onto the top, and you tighten a bolt in the top to tighten the wedge. I wouldn't trust it for actually riding though

|