Old school vs mid vs new

Related:
Create New Tag

4/14/2019 8:49 PM

What's everybody's opinion on old mid and new?

|

4/14/2019 8:59 PM

Every era of bmx fucking sucks

|

4/14/2019 9:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2019 9:03 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Then Wtf are u doing on vitalbmx?

|

4/14/2019 9:05 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

specialized 4 life wrote:

Hating myself

|

4/14/2019 9:05 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

Hating myself

Me too tho

|

4/14/2019 10:02 PM

I have a really good answer for this but I’m gonna wait 10 years to bump it and a bunch of other threads that no one’s gonna give a shit about

|

4/14/2019 10:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2019 10:06 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I have a really good answer for this but I’m gonna wait 10 years to bump it and a bunch of other threads that no one’s gonna give a shit about

I quite literally don't care imma just continue hating myself but u do u

|

4/14/2019 10:36 PM

Fuck them all , future school is where it’s at , flying cars and shit

|

4/14/2019 11:10 PM

I'm just waiting on my pit bull

|

4/14/2019 11:14 PM

Grew up riding during the mid era, but early new school is definitely my favourite. It was very different from today’s riding, and new school has been the longest so far so it’s about time there was some reclassification imo. 04 to 12ish was where it’s at

|

4/14/2019 11:53 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Grew up riding during the mid era, but early new school is definitely my favourite. It was very different from today’s riding, and new school has been the longest so far so it’s about time there was some reclassification imo. 04 to 12ish was where it’s at

I personally think 02-10 is pretty good myself I know the only good bikes I own are an 07 and a 17 but I did once own a subrosa from around 08 and I completely agree but TBH I like all BMX bikes

|

4/15/2019 12:21 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Yup!

|

4/15/2019 4:09 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I personally think 02-10 is pretty good myself I know the only good bikes I own are an 07 and a 17 but I did once own a subrosa from around 08 and I completely agree but TBH I like all BMX bikes

Didn’t you say you were like 16 in another thread?
But, bikes now are by far better than they ever have been.

|

4/15/2019 4:57 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Damn right!

Self healing materials
Morphing parts
Diy

Basically the industry will no longer exist as we know it.
Instead everyone will make its own bmx.

What a time to be alive!

|

4/15/2019 5:02 AM

.pegless. wrote:

This. I started in 99, and am still going (slowly).

I think my favorite time in my riding was between 04 and 10. I was the most confident in my skills and rode a LOT, so it felt like progression daily VS just trying to recoup skills.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

4/15/2019 6:22 AM

05ish to 10-11ish was the best

|

fack off

4/15/2019 7:26 AM

I agree 2004-2012 was around the best.

I would enjoy riding a nice mid school MacNeil Ruben, low bars, frontload stem. From time to time for fun. i Liked mid school riding and the bikes looked cool. But new technology is better.

Around the 2008-2012 era bikes were light and still not that weak. Some were but I don’t think anymore frames broken then than now unless they were made really light.

The biggest thing is the diversity of bmx in 2008-2012 you could find anything on danscomp.

Fat seat/ slim seat
8 inch bars or 9
Front load or top load
Long chainstay or short (13.5+ or 13 inch chainstay)
Folding tires or heavier street tires like the glh.
1.95-2.35 with plenty of options
Freecoaster or cassette
Plastic or metal pedals (still a decent amount of choice today but I see mostly plastic or 100 dollar metals)
Every size sprocket you would need
Plastic or metal pegs had more options

One of the biggest was the choice of what brand to support. There were lots of good brands who went under under or lost their US distro like:

Macneil
Mankind
Simple
Superstar
Proper
Tempered
Metal
United (until source opened the US store they were scarce)
Sputnic
Cardinal
Capitol
2hip
Black eye
Mutiny (still around but their catalog seems to be decreasing)
Solid
Tree (also still around but seem to be fading out)
Failure
Khe (apart from tires I never see their parts around)

Now it seems to be 10 cult frames 10 s&m a bunch of fit and stranger. Everyone rides the same shit and there’s not many brands to select from. All bikes look the same. And a lot of the geometry is the same on most parts being made today. So if you’re looking for something like a slim seat or smaller bars or frontload stem you don’t really get to select from the company you like; pretty much just whoever makes what you’re looking for. It’s definitely not too fun shopping for parts anymore imo.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/15/2019 7:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 7:34 AM

.pegless. wrote:

.pegless. wrote:

I am 16. Am I not allowed to like the bikes that came out when I was young?

|

4/15/2019 7:36 AM

Damn. So we all agree on the best years here? 2006/7 were like the best years for me. Everything was exploding. I thought bmx was going to take over the freaking world. SO many people to ride with. Bikes pretty much the same aside from some with extremely low standover. Receiving actual magazines and catalogs in the mail to drool over. Im too young to ve talking about “glory days” wtf ?

|

4/15/2019 7:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 7:45 AM

Four wrote:

I would enjoy riding a nice mid school MacNeil Ruben, low bars, frontload stem. From time to time for fun. i Liked mid school riding and the bikes looked cool. But new technology is better.

Around the 2008-2012 era bikes were light and still not that weak. Some were but I don’t think anymore frames broken then than now unless they were made really light.

The biggest thing is the diversity of bmx in 2008-2012 you could find anything on danscomp.

Fat seat/ slim seat
8 inch bars or 9
Front load or top load
Freecoaster or cassette
Plastic or metal pedals (still a decent amount of choice today but I see mostly plastic or 100 dollar metals)

One of the biggest was the choice of what brand to support. There were lots of good brands who went under under or lost their US distro like:

Macneil
Mankind
Simple
Superstar
Proper
Tempered
Metal
Sputnic
Cardinal
Capitol
2hip
Black eye
Solid
Failure

Now it seems to be 10 cult frames 10 s&m a bunch of fit and stranger. Everyone rides the same shit and there’s not many brands to select from. All bikes look the same. And a lot of the geometry is the same on most parts being made today. So if you’re looking for something like a slim seat or smaller bars or frontload stem you don’t really get to select from the company you like; pretty much just whoever makes what you’re looking for. It’s definitely not too fun shopping for parts anymore imo.

The is still all over Amazon and Walmart but ya got that shitty "professional" assembly aside from that they're still great bikes but they only make completes now as far as i know I honestly didn't know that Sputnic went out of business I still have a friend with one

|

4/15/2019 7:45 AM

.pegless. wrote:

He also said "modern bikes are only good for beginners" and " the 40lb bikes are just as strong (if not stronger) cheaper and if your able to rip one of these you'll show that your REALLY a good rider instead of being the same as everybody else riding the same pieces of trash that all weigh the same doing the same tricks that everybody else can do"

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/15/2019 7:50 AM

.pegless. wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

He also said "modern bikes are only good for beginners" and " the 40lb bikes are just as strong (if not stronger) cheaper and if your able to rip one of these you'll show that your REALLY a good rider instead of being the same as everybody else riding the same pieces of trash that all weigh the same doing the same tricks that everybody else can do"

Did u not see that I like all BMX bikes? Damn either y'all are slow or I'm mega stupid (probably the second one)

|

4/15/2019 7:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 8:16 AM

.pegless. wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Ok tell me this. If you're at the skatepark on some light ass bike like everyone else and somebody shows up on a 97 GT compe and rides just as good if not maybe a little better doesn't that mean that the guy who rides just as well with I bike that's harder to ride is a better rider? I personally think so imma just lose my account info. Nice knowing ya!

|

4/15/2019 8:40 AM

Four wrote:

Fat seat/ slim seat
8 inch bars or 9
Front load or top load
Freecoaster or cassette

Macneil
Mankind
Simple
Superstar
Proper
Tempered
Metal
Sputnic
Cardinal
Capitol
2hip
Black eye
Solid
Failure

Proper are still around! They don’t make huge numbers of anything by the look of it though. New stuff comes out fairly regularly. But I definitely agree about choice.

|

4/15/2019 8:41 AM

Ok tell me this. If you're at the skatepark on some light ass bike like everyone else and somebody shows up on a 97 GT compe and rides just as good if not maybe a little better doesn't that mean that the guy who rides just as well with I bike that's harder to ride is a better rider? I personally think so imma just lose my account info. Nice knowing ya!

Let's all just make things harder for ourselves because some kid on the internet said it'll automatically make us better riders. If you think you're that good, post some videos. You seem to be very hung up over what everyone else is doing and riding; almost as if you're trying to justify not riding at the same level as everyone else.

At the end of the day, why does it matter? We all look ridiculous on our bikes, we're all trying ridiculous things on our bikes and we're all just trying to enjoy ourselves while doing these ridiculous things. If you're really so good already that you need the extra challenge of an awkward, heavy bike, more power to ya.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/15/2019 8:43 AM

.pegless. wrote:

I am 16. Am I not allowed to like the bikes that came out when I was young?

Of course you can, I just wouldn’t be able to take your opinion seriously though. You didn’t see first hand parts failing, which happened loads with the over built midschool tanks, and even more so in the stupidly light early new school days.
You also didn’t experience the riding as it happened

|

4/15/2019 8:44 AM

Not really. I’d probably think the guy shredding up an old bike is kind of an asshole tbh. And if they hopped on a modern bike, they would have to adjust. Its just kind of silly. Ur young and bored as tits, i get it, but dont insult people on the forum ?.

|

4/15/2019 8:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2019 9:03 AM

|

4/15/2019 9:14 AM

Im not trying to insult everybody your all entitled to your own opinion I'm also not trying to say I'm better I fucking suck at anything that isn't dirt jumps or very easy riding I'm stating my own opinion I'm sorry if I was being offensive but with dirt jumps I find it easier with the weight of the older bikes I've had my 2017 gt come flying out from under me mid air it didn't have enough momentum to stay in the air long enough that's why I like older bikes I've also had a lot less broken parts on my specialized than my 2017 gt performer and the Kent has the most broken parts that's why I've stated the the older bikes can be just as strong I mean a fuse 2 was a cheaper bike and mine is still fuckin mint

|

4/15/2019 10:35 AM

Im not trying to insult everybody your all entitled to your own opinion I'm also not trying to say I'm better I fucking suck at anything that isn't dirt jumps or very easy riding I'm stating my own opinion I'm sorry if I was being offensive but with dirt jumps I find it easier with the weight of the older bikes I've had my 2017 gt come flying out from under me mid air it didn't have enough momentum to stay in the air long enough that's why I like older bikes I've also had a lot less broken parts on my specialized than my 2017 gt performer and the Kent has the most broken parts that's why I've stated the the older bikes can be just as strong I mean a fuse 2 was a cheaper bike and mine is still fuckin mint

Your experience is based on 3 not particularly good complete bikes. Therefore it isn’t educated enough to give a very determined opinion

|