Old vs. New School setups

Related:
Create New Tag

5/14/2019 4:51 PM

Ok, part by part and then overall ride quality.

Frame- About even but made better and lighter now
Forks- Same as frame
Bars- Minus quality I have to say older. I seemed to have better hops and manuals with 7”-ish bars.
Stem- Even
Cranks- Same, I run Profile so not much change
Sprocket- Today, with spline drive and thinner yet as strong
Chain- 1/2 links are great but if you don’t run one...even
Hubs- Today’s a driver vs a freewheel no contest
Rims- Today’s due to better construction and strength
Tires- Even, but I run 2.1-2.2 max so I don’t care about wider
Seat- Then! In a single word: adjustment
Seat post- See above
Pegs- Even but metal is better IMO
Pedals- Even but again metal

Overall most stuff is better than before. However, being able to make a 20.75 frame feel like a 21 by adjusting the seat back. Giving it the same reach and effective top tube, yet keeping the rear end the same length. And no idea why but a little more leverage to hop with a lower set of bars.

All opinion, what do you think?

|

5/14/2019 5:02 PM

seat location has nothing to do with top tube length. unless you're seat is super high and you're sitting and pedaling.

new bikes hands down.

by 'old school' , I mean 80's and 90's bikes. fuck those things.

fuck quill stems
fuck headset cups
fuck american sized BB's.
fuck giant dropouts needed to cover 16 tooth sprockets.
fuck 44 tooth sprockets.
fuck those shitty side pull brakes.

you know they make railed seats still, right? all the adjust ability that we had 30+ years ago.

/mumbles something about y'all getting off my lawn...

|

5/14/2019 5:10 PM

Welcome backgack

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

5/14/2019 6:44 PM

New bikes are so much better, but i do like how some of the old / mid school bikes looked tho.

|

Ride everything

5/14/2019 7:19 PM

Sliding the seat farther back doesn't make your TT longer, it makes your seat farther back. A 20.75" frame will be a 20.75" frame regardless of the saddle placement.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/14/2019 9:12 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Sliding the seat farther back doesn't make your TT longer, it makes your seat farther back. A 20.75" frame will be a 20.75" frame regardless of the saddle placement.

Wrong
TT is still 20.75, but do a can can and you will notice your ability to use all 20.75 not just 20.5 (or less) with a pivotal

|

5/14/2019 9:56 PM

I'm trying to find some 7.75ish bars, those were the sweet spot. I think bikes from 03-10ish were the best

|

It’s all bmx

5/14/2019 10:49 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

I'm trying to find some 7.75ish bars, those were the sweet spot. I think bikes from 03-10ish were the best

Just get an odyssey summit stem and flip it

|

smile

5/14/2019 10:49 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

I'm trying to find some 7.75ish bars, those were the sweet spot. I think bikes from 03-10ish were the best

7.8

https://themake.bigcartel.com/product/pre-order-crew-bar-raw

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/14/2019 11:16 PM

Old school bikes were shit. Every single one of them. Hence midschool bikes being over built, but most were still shit. Early new school was the best, so much innovation and style, more finesse (maybe a little too much in some places, resulting in broken parts).
I’m talking 2004 to around 2012, before bars got huge. The bikes and riders had more style about them. Now it’s all about tricks, bikes and riders all look the same. People wanting to just do tricks and get good, with a bike that aids them.

|

5/14/2019 11:20 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Sliding the seat farther back doesn't make your TT longer, it makes your seat farther back. A 20.75" frame will be a 20.75" frame regardless of the saddle placement.

Gack2000 wrote:

Wrong
TT is still 20.75, but do a can can and you will notice your ability to use all 20.75 not just 20.5 (or less) with a pivotal

Agreed. Thats why I buy layback seatposts. It makes your bike feel so much roomier when seated or standing.

|

5/14/2019 11:45 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Sliding the seat farther back doesn't make your TT longer, it makes your seat farther back. A 20.75" frame will be a 20.75" frame regardless of the saddle placement.

Gack2000 wrote:

Wrong
TT is still 20.75, but do a can can and you will notice your ability to use all 20.75 not just 20.5 (or less) with a pivotal

Bulletpup wrote:

Agreed. Thats why I buy layback seatposts. It makes your bike feel so much roomier when seated or standing.

I could've been more clear, yes it's a fact that having the seat farther back mean more useable room, but the metal tubing of the frame remains the same. So a 20.75" TT is always the same regardless of seat placement.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/15/2019 6:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2019 10:21 AM

pnj wrote:

seat location has nothing to do with top tube length. unless you're seat is super high and you're sitting and pedaling.

new bikes hands down.

by 'old school' , I mean 80's and 90's bikes. fuck those things.

fuck quill stems
fuck headset cups
fuck american sized BB's.
fuck giant dropouts needed to cover 16 tooth sprockets.
fuck 44 tooth sprockets.
fuck those shitty side pull brakes.

you know they make railed seats still, right? all the adjust ability that we had 30+ years ago.

/mumbles something about y'all getting off my lawn...

This, pretty much, sums up the good advances the sport has made. Although, I would actually like to see more "length" built into dropouts to accommodate adjustability/options for "chainstay length". I think that would allow more personalization without the need to buy a new frame. They wouldn't have to be as spacious as old school frames but a decent amount of movement, secured by built-in chain tensioners would be nice.

My only other complaint with new school bikes is the lack of imagination in design aesthetics. Yeah, I get it, the Hutch Trickstar didn't need the head tube weldment, but the frames from that era were so much more interesting.

|

5/15/2019 8:05 AM

I feel like my current bike could pass for mid 00's with just a smaller front tire/ handlebar.

I've personally grown (literally) to prefer the taller HT, SOH and bars of now, though.

|

5/15/2019 11:21 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

I feel like my current bike could pass for mid 00's with just a smaller front tire/ handlebar.

I've personally grown (literally) to prefer the taller HT, SOH and bars of now, though.

us big boys like our taller standover, even though thats kind of an oldschool thing frames have always been like 9" standover, same with big bars i had 8+ and 9 inch bars in the 90s. wasnt till the 00s u started seeing those low scooter park kid frames

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/15/2019 11:50 AM

9” bars in the 90’s? Who made those? I remember when slams were considered big.

|

5/15/2019 12:00 PM

.pegless. wrote:

9” bars in the 90’s? Who made those? I remember when slams were considered big.

they were some powerlite bars. i remember riding them and being like these are comfortable but tall i wonder if smaller bars would help me hop higher able to tuck it in, so i put on my friends DK bars which were like 6.5 rise and they felt awful (this was around late 90's), heres some big gt bars from 80s Photo

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/15/2019 1:08 PM

.pegless. wrote:

9” bars in the 90’s? Who made those? I remember when slams were considered big.

GT had the Pro 65 (9"x28.75") from late 91-00:Photo

GT also made massive 10 3/4" rise bars in the 80's:
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

5/16/2019 6:37 AM

The only way being able to push a seat back has any difference on the feel of the bike is if you sit and ride. It doesn't change anything else. The location of your BB matters more than a TT length.

|