Older riders...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/8/2013 6:05 AM

Any older dudes on here?

I am getting back in after 20+ years away. I am 42, and can't beleive how excited I am about getting back in to BMX. I quit smoking almost a year ago, and thin this will also help get my cardio health better. I am small, pretty thin, but need to be in better shape also. I am back in the gym now also.

Do you guys wear protection when you ride, or just go? I know we never did in the 80's, but seems to make sense to maybe wear something.

Anyway, glad to find this forum, have already found useful info.

|

12/8/2013 6:30 AM

Chuck, Topsey, Lorenzo are all older men as far as I am aware. (I'm 14)

I'd buy a helmet if I were you (Bell segment) buy gloves to protect your hands (I use Fly f-16 but they ripped in a few weeks)

I'd also get knee pads because if you fuck up your knees you're done

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

12/8/2013 6:30 AM

Be 41 in Jan, started riding again when my oldest showed interest. I don't try tons of new things at the moment. I have knee and elbow pads, but no helmet, which stops me now, but never did in the past. You're the same age, you know you NEVER saw helmets back when we were kids, unless it was the neighborhood old man on a cruiser, lol.

I still to this day regret selling my 80's BMX bike when I "got too old for kids bikes". 88 Mongoose Californian Pro. Looking back, it looks old, but I loved riding it. The geo made it feel stable and responsive no matter what I was trying. Funny thing is, it only had a 19" TT, and I have no clue about the rest, other than the stand over looks to be above 10". Can't wait till your bike arrives man! If your luck serves yo as mine does, you'll get 8" of snow at the same time. The snow isn't stopping me though. I love riding in it, I just clean the bike up afterwards.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

12/8/2013 6:31 AM

Knee pads and a helmet. I am 28 in two days, so you have a couple years on me.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/8/2013 6:34 AM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

I'd buy a helmet if I were you (Bell segment) buy gloves to protect your hands (I use Fly f-16 but they ripped in a few weeks)

Haha, Kane, you gunna get yo ass beat! Lol. Lorenzo is in college, and Topsey sounds far older than he is. More of an "Old soul" type. There are actually a good amount of older guys on here, most just don't post as much as the young ones.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

12/8/2013 6:42 AM

I actually have some gear from my motorcycle. I have some RS taichi elbow pads that slide right under a hoody, and plenty of good gloves. I guess I knew I was gonne hear knee pads, any suggestions on those. Any helmet suggestions?

Thanks.

|

12/8/2013 6:49 AM

I've seen bails in my time and I would suggest getting this type of helmet, does anyone actually ride bmx with a helmet like this? at least for some ramps or trails, where you can fall pretty bad and even loose your teeth
Photo

|

12/8/2013 6:50 AM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

Chuck8273 wrote:

Haha, Kane, you gunna get yo ass beat! Lol. Lorenzo is in college, and Topsey sounds far older than he is. More of an "Old soul" type. There are actually a good amount of older guys on here, most just don't post as much as the young ones.

I thought the moderators were all around 30 .

|

12/8/2013 6:57 AM

Wow, full face?

I wore one most of the time on my motorcycle, and I can understand the importance of a chin bar, but not sure if I wanna go there. Hot and uncomortable.

I was thinking more of the half helmets, doesn't someone make a softshell? I thought I heard that, guess i will search.

|

12/8/2013 6:57 AM

warrick wrote:

I actually have some gear from my motorcycle. I have some RS taichi elbow pads that slide right under a hoody, and plenty of good gloves. I guess I knew I was gonne hear knee pads, any suggestions on those. Any helmet suggestions?

Thanks.

I have been having one hell of a time finding a helmet online. Get one that's dual rated, whatever you do.

|

12/8/2013 7:02 AM

warrick wrote:

Wow, full face?

I wore one most of the time on my motorcycle, and I can understand the importance of a chin bar, but not sure if I wanna go there. Hot and uncomortable.

I was thinking more of the half helmets, doesn't someone make a softshell? I thought I heard that, guess i will search.

nah, you don't have to go full protection until you hit some big thing, but I personally wouldn't mind trying riding with those motocross helmets and see how that works for me
check some helmets here, there are actually many full face helmets http://www.vitalbmx.com/product/main?discontinued=true&product_category_id=48

|

12/8/2013 7:57 AM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

Thanks Kane, that Bell Segment is looking like it may be the way to go.

Do you wear one?

|

12/8/2013 8:02 AM

Turned 32 a couple of weeks ago...;(

I don't leave home without shin & knee guards, thinking bout getting a pair of compression shorts with the padding on the side that protects the hip area, mtb riders use them. I fell on my side trying to wallride longer than gravity would allow and ended up getting my sciatic nerve pinched, which was over a year ago and still plays up when I land on that side so...

Welcome back to the sport bro, I was off my bike for over 10yrs.

I started riding age 12 & had to quit aged 19 cuz of mental health, then started again age 30...can't stop now...love it, always have.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

12/8/2013 8:14 AM

That's funny. I already have a pair of those padded compression shorts I wore on my motorcycle, already planned on throwing those on underneath.

I know I won't heal as fast as I used to, prefer to be a bit safer.

appreciate all the input, now just have to suffer through the winter looking at my brand new ride in my office.

|

12/8/2013 8:43 AM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

topsey is 26 and i think lorenzo is mid 20s

|

12/8/2013 9:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2013 9:10 AM

if you want to keep riding and riding well you'll probably need to change some life habits as well as wear pads.

eat good/healthy food.
drink water often.(not just when riding)
stretch/do yoga

I don't lift weights but I do some cardio when I can't ride. I have a treadmill that I'll walk/jog on from time to time. It's boring a fuck but it helps when I am able to get back on the bike. Being loose is key to preventing injury.

I'd wear at least a helmet. Wear whatever other pads you think you need.
I have to wear knee pads EVERYTIIME I ride. I have some really nice ones that fit under my jeans. and I wear a helmet.

What type of riding are you doing? I mostly ride dirt these days.

|

12/8/2013 9:14 AM

pnj wrote:

if you want to keep riding and riding well you'll probably need to change some life habits as well as wear pads.

eat good/healthy food.
drink water often.(not just when riding)
stretch/do yoga

I don't lift weights but I do some cardio when I can't ride. I have a treadmill that I'll walk/jog on from time to time. It's boring a fuck but it helps when I am able to get back on the bike. Being loose is key to preventing injury.

I'd wear at least a helmet. Wear whatever other pads you think you need.
I have to wear knee pads EVERYTIIME I ride. I have some really nice ones that fit under my jeans. and I wear a helmet.

What type of riding are you doing? I mostly ride dirt these days.

Probably a little of everything.

What knee pads do you have? I am looking for that type.

|

12/8/2013 9:22 AM

I have Troy Lee Designs KG 5400 Knee Guard. They are $50 bucks or so and have zero straps to adjust them.

You'll want to buy extra small and you may need to use a needle/thread to make 'em smaller. Mine stay in place pretty well but if I was falling all the time, I'd look into another pair that has straps.

Knee pad design and material has changed a lot over the years. They can be expensive but they're so much better than anything we had in the 80's or 90's.

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/

|

12/8/2013 9:32 AM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

warrick wrote:

Thanks Kane, that Bell Segment is looking like it may be the way to go.

Do you wear one?

I personally don't wear the Bell one, I sometimes wear a cheap helmet from my bike shop.

The segment helmet is popular among the pro's such as Nyquist and Benasawich

|

12/8/2013 9:55 AM

That's awesome your getting back into it. You should definitely wear a helmet, in my opinion, the pads might be a bit overkill unless you plan on really going in on the bike haha. It's always a blast riding with the older dudes because they are truly in it for the fun of it. Good luck!

|

12/8/2013 10:15 AM

Us older guys have more at stake when it comes to getting injured. Not just getting hurt, but being on medical leave can be costly. You could literally lose everything. For normal riding, it's no big deal, but when you start doing more dangerous things, are cheap insurance against getting seriously injured.

|

12/8/2013 10:24 AM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Us older guys have more at stake when it comes to getting injured. Not just getting hurt, but being on medical leave can be costly. You could literally lose everything. For normal riding, it's no big deal, but when you start doing more dangerous things, are cheap insurance against getting seriously injured.

I guess we are lucky with regards to that in the UK with the NHS.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

12/8/2013 10:38 AM

That is one thing I do have, very good health insurance. I work for the largest broker.

I think I may try the triple eight exoskin knee and elbow pads. I just want something light with a little protection for now. I am not sure how far this will go.

Freakin snowin out right now....

|