On budget, which hub?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/15/2013 11:34 PM

I'm looking to get a new hub, but I'm on a budget, so which of these would be the best choice
- Animal Javelin
- BSD Backstreet FA hub
- Odyssey Quartet cassete hub
- Shadow Conspiracy Raptor hub
Also, since some of these have options like a choice of male or female axle, i would like to know which is best, btw i do grind
Thanks in advance

|

4/15/2013 11:47 PM

Male for back especially because you grind.

|

Street Life/Park Life

It's not about what you ride, it's about how you ride it.

4/16/2013 3:08 AM

Get either the Javelin or the Raptor both legit hubs.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

4/16/2013 3:16 AM

Javelin

|

4/16/2013 3:47 AM

I have the bsd fa. I really like it so far. I don't go big, and am only starting to get into grinding, so I can't say the 3/8ths bolts are bombproof but they hold well for me. I'm not hitting crazy ice picks tho. And when I bought the hub, they didn't have the male axle in stock. I would have bought that.

Out of the ones you picked, I'd say the javelin or the backstreet. If you check via search bar, you can find more info on these as well.

|

Villain'll hold a bike like he's mean and his tummy hurt
In a clean pair, ripped jeans and a bummy shirt

4/16/2013 3:52 AM

Javelin whistling

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

4/16/2013 9:13 AM

Get the BSD and all this talk about male being better for grinding...complete nonsense! The BSD has a females axle which sits in the dropouts, has 3 extra wide pawls and 3 individual springs unlike the javelin. Javelin runs a c-clip, perhaps its the popularity of the Animal name but it seems that any other company using a c-clip everyone states its a generic shit hub....but not here even though it falls under the category.

The Raptor hub is good as well( I ran this in the past), as well as the Odyssey.

In truth all will hold up fine, its whatever company or specs you favor most.

Out of all of them I prefer the BSD( I do have it). The weight is perfect, slightly over 14oz, slide on hubgaurds (no spreading the frame and is just overall extremely easy to setup and use ), 14mm heat treated chromoly axle which sits in the dropouts( even though its a 3/8 you do not need any axle adapters because of the axle design), polymer bushing in driver....etc. This hub is extremely reliable and has been designed for peg/grinding use.

If a female axle wasnt strong enough for grinds, then why is every company now using the same design as the BSD? Despite who may of had it first but most hubs are now coming standard with a 14mm female hollow axle which sits in the dropouts and has 10mm bolts.

Ive heard more stories of a male axle snapping from grinds compare to a female.

To each their own...

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

4/16/2013 9:38 AM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Get the BSD and all this talk about male being better for grinding...complete nonsense! The BSD has a females axle which sits ...more

Female Bolts tend to be stronger than Male Axles for Grinding, but 14mm is a lot stronger than 3/8". So a 14mm Male Axle tends to be stronger than 3/8" Bolts on a 14mm Female Axle, grinding wise. This is why the Odyssey Antigram, G-Sport Ratchet, Shadow BTR and Tree Rear Hubs use 14mm Bolts. But this means the Axle has to be even bigger, creating quite a large Hub, or one with with a very thin axle and very small Bearings. Female Axles are a lot better in a lot of other respects though; They tend to be lighter, Harder to Cross Thread, look cleaner, and there is no Axle sticking out as well.

|

4/16/2013 10:10 AM

go for either the BSD or javelin both are good

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

4/16/2013 11:00 AM

I'd probably go with the javelin.

|

4/16/2013 12:35 PM

Remix/mix

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

4/16/2013 12:47 PM

A mix ratchet.

|

4/16/2013 12:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2013 12:54 PM

Ok, now it's narrowed down to either the javelin or backstreet, so which one, and if bsd should I get male or female axle
Oh yeah, since I'm new to it and am not that good at grinds yet, what hub guards fit what hubs?
And please only suggestions from people who have ridden or owned the hub
Thanks in advance

|

4/16/2013 1:01 PM

i like my Ratchet. only skipping ones a month or under high high torque (uphill). 20+ more bucks. i'll get the one with the bigger bearings and pawls. the Animal Bearing>bushing.

|

4/16/2013 1:22 PM

The Horror Contact wrote:

Get the BSD and all this talk about male being better for grinding...complete nonsense! The BSD has a females axle which sits ...more

BMX_Forever wrote:

Female Bolts tend to be stronger than Male Axles for Grinding, but 14mm is a lot stronger than 3/8". So a 14mm Male Axle tends ...more

This, the thing with these 3/8" female bull shit is that they are simply male axles with female bolts.
What this does is having a 14mm axle that is way more hollowed out making it less strong.
Not only this, the pegs will sit on the 3/8" female bolts, that for a rear peg isn't as strong.
I rode a Mix with a converted axle and it was shit, the thing snapped on me within 6 months of riding.
So my conclusion is no I would not get the BSD FA.

As stated before I would go with the Raptor.

|

4/16/2013 1:27 PM

BSD /thread no need to argue

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/16/2013 1:32 PM

The BSD Backstreet in the 14mm male version is an option too.

|

4/16/2013 3:00 PM

kaliel.roblesrios wrote:

i like my Ratchet. only skipping ones a month or under high high torque (uphill). 20+ more bucks. i'll get the one with the ...more

Ik, I wish I could get it, but I'm on a really tight budget, I don't even have the time to make anymore money cause of school kicking my ass, so out of the animal javelin or bsd backstreet, which would u choose, oh yeah I made a mistake, I'm ordering a custom complete wheel off of empire cause I trust their lacing more and don't have the money to pay a shop to fix any mistakes, and I am currently learning how to myself and don't trust myself with it yet, so I can only get the bsd in a female axle :/

|

4/16/2013 3:03 PM

kaliel.roblesrios wrote:

i like my Ratchet. only skipping ones a month or under high high torque (uphill). 20+ more bucks. i'll get the one with the ...more

BmxForTheHellofit wrote:

Ik, I wish I could get it, but I'm on a really tight budget, I don't even have the time to make anymore money cause of school ...more

In that case I would get the Javelin.

|

4/16/2013 3:09 PM

kaliel.roblesrios wrote:

BmxForTheHellofit wrote:

Ik, I wish I could get it, but I'm on a really tight budget, I don't even have the time to make anymore money cause of school ...more

I was going to say you could trust dans but i just remembered the on time i had them lace me a wheel i rode it for a day and didnt like the hub and lace my old one in myself

|

Refs:
ac~handley -les.cheek - the_bmxist -Skids007(x4) - Roqfan - jared42069 - Bmxnick2511

4/16/2013 3:20 PM

so by the looks of it my top 2 choices are the javelin and raptor, so which of the 2 and why?

|

4/16/2013 3:25 PM

BmxForTheHellofit wrote:

so by the looks of it my top 2 choices are the javelin and raptor, so which of the 2 and why?

I would go Javelin, it has a higher grade shell compared to the Raptor.
What I don't like about the Javelin is the aluminum hardware that in the Raptor is Chromoly.

But still the Raptor is a dope hub and it has been holding up for me.

|

4/16/2013 3:43 PM

wait for the sunday to come out if you want somthing cheap

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

4/16/2013 3:48 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

wait for the sunday to come out if you want somthing cheap

The Sunday looks just like a rebranded Odyssey Quartet...

|

4/16/2013 5:26 PM

andyferly wrote:

Get either the Javelin or the Raptor both legit hubs.

^this^

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

4/16/2013 5:33 PM

BSD male for the win. I have it , its badass. Check Some BSD edits there street as fuck so you know its gonner be good they know what there doin.

No brainer really

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

4/16/2013 5:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2013 5:39 PM

BSD female... I have it, know other people who have it and have yet to have any problems, plus I grind a lot and I'm not to easy on it.

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/16/2013 6:17 PM

BSD.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

4/16/2013 7:50 PM

I love my animal wouldn't trade it for any other hub over a year no problems I definitely recommend it

|

text me for faster response 7742720929.

Refs- bmxscout48, easternbikes28, DontDELETEmePLEASEandTHANKyou, Mybike1986, Funky chicken

4/16/2013 8:00 PM

friend had the backstreet ma snapped the axle it half and was out like 100 bucks. he ended up getting another bsd hub fa this time and it still holding up after a year

|