On the outside....looking in

Related:
Create New Tag

8/29/2013 2:29 PM

Hey everybody! It has been probably over 5 years since I posted on Vital (probably even more...time flies).

I was going through my email accounts and re-configuring everything, when I came upon an email from vitalbmx.com. For no reason at all, I decided to click it. Boy, does it bring back memories.

I rode up until I was about 19, then hung it up. College athletics, school, work, social pressures, girlfriends, family....it all got in the way. My bike still sits in my parents garage about 2 hours away, but it does exactly that.....sits. Every once in a while when I go home to visit, I like to just sit on it and grab the grips (which are worn as shit). Nothing better than looking down on a set of slam bars and a 20.5" top tube.

I work a corporate job now. Chained to a desk. My daily routine consists of coffee, emails, work, gym, sleep. I might go out to the bars with some friends, but it aint too fun. Just want to remind all of you young guys to really cherish and take advantage of the time you get on your bike, whether you're on the trails, riding a new park, or pissing off a high school security guard. The feeling of being on a bike you can maneuver better than your own legs is better than almost any other. Enjoy the afternoon street sessions and the people who surround you. Enjoy the shitty music your friends like to play in the background. Enjoy the feeling of a new set of cranks showing up at your front door. Enjoy your parents asking you why you ride a little kids bike all day. Enjoy the bruises, cuts, breaks and rashes that all come with the sport. Take the time to make sure your friends know you enjoy riding with them. Most of all, try to stay out of too much trouble...

One day you will have to hang up the bike (injuries, family, etc...) and you will look back on the awesome times you had on it. You will look back on them not only because it is fun to ride a bike, but because you were given the freedom to be creative while creating a bond with your riding buddies. You all got in trouble together, you all got hurt, you all probably partied together, whatever...I look back on the fun times I had with those guys and cherish them.

Growing up sucks, so have fun while youre young (and still have functioning knees).

|

8/29/2013 2:37 PM

How old are you now mate?

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

8/29/2013 2:38 PM

Damn man this made me think, I always tell myself that when I'm going to be an adult with a stable job and possibly a family I'm still gonna ride, but it seems to me like this is just an illusion.
It's nice to have some advice and experience from an adult tho.
Just hop back onto that bike!

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

8/29/2013 2:41 PM

sucks to be you.

My friends and I still ride. Most of the guys I ride with are between the ages of 30-44 years old.

you said you go to the gym. My bike is my gym.

|

8/29/2013 2:43 PM

Nope , I'm never going to forget about my bike , family first , biking second

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/29/2013 2:47 PM

pnj wrote:

sucks to be you.

My friends and I still ride. Most of the guys I ride with are between the ages of 30-44 years old.

you said you go to the gym. My bike is my gym.

That's good to know mate, I'm 31 and plan to ride for the next 10yrs at least.

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

8/29/2013 2:49 PM

I do agree, to a point. Unless you physically cannot do it, you do not need to hang the bike up. I am in a similar boat as you, engaged, working a corporate job with emails, a desk etc, plans for a family, bills to pay etc, and I STILL make a little time to ride, if even an hour a week.

As to your knees, invest in a road bike, put some miles in, and strengthen them up. If guys like Mat Hoffman can still do it, there is no reason you can't.

And you should bring your bike home next time you are there. Maybe use it to run an errand or something, hop a few curbs, whatever you gotta do.

That's what I do.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/29/2013 2:50 PM

andyferly wrote:

Damn man this made me think, I always tell myself that when I'm going to be an adult with a stable job and possibly a family I'm still gonna ride, but it seems to me like this is just an illusion.
It's nice to have some advice and experience from an adult tho.
Just hop back onto that bike!

It doesn't have to be an illusion buddy, you should always make time to do the things you love, no matter what your circumstance, you'll be happier for it and in turn that will make your family / responsibilities happy too.

Win win

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

8/29/2013 2:52 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Nope , I'm never going to forget about my bike , family first , biking second

I said this growing up. It doesn't always work this way.

I told myself I would never ever not ride 5 times a week, 6 hours at a time.

That was simly not possible after a while.

When you work crap hours and never see your fiance, you don't ride when you both have time off. You find other times to go ride.

I ride at 8 am once or twice a week because of my work hours.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/29/2013 4:04 PM

I'm 26 so i am by no means "Old" but i never, ever plan on stopping riding. My shoulder is destroyed i am waiting for my second surgery, once its done i will do my Re-hab, get my strength back up & get to riding again! My Diabetes is almost under control, i am changing insulin in a few days time *fingers crossed* which means i will be able to do more exercise which will start with walking the dog etc & as mentioned when the shoulder is fixed i will get to riding again! I will be riding till i am no longer physically able (Old Age NOT broken!) I will get my kids into riding, you guys know my kids are going to be spoiled haha. BMX is my passion in life, my Girl understands & has taken a huge interest! It will be a part of OUR life together also. BMX 4EVA etc etc. lolages laughing

|

8/29/2013 4:19 PM

I got back into it after riding mtb for a good long time. Now, I love my bike. I don't care if I only get to ride a few hours a week, month, whatever. As long as I see it in my garage on my way out, and I have the option to take it out when feeling stressed, or after I get my little ones in bed, I feel less stress. I also ride with my little ones every chance I get, and on the rare occasion my oldest one decides to ride.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

8/29/2013 6:01 PM

I kind of know how it feels and im only 19 haha, I work go to school and have to pay rent for my apartment, luckily where I work there is a lot of dead time so I can jump on here throughout the day and don't work on weekends and don't have school everyday either so i squeeze in as much riding as I can ( I ride dirt so that's not exactly easy for me) and coming on here. but hopefully when the day comes that I have to put the bike away it wont completely disappear from my life and ill try hardest to make sure it wont

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

8/29/2013 6:36 PM

yeah man this really got me thinking....

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

8/29/2013 6:53 PM

Probably one of the best things ever said.

Welcome back to Vital fellow 2007er!

|

8/29/2013 8:15 PM

thank you brotha, i came to this realization myself a couple of weeks ago and now im going hard in the paint even though i got a fucked knee because when i do have to retire the bike i wanna make sure i gave it all that i have and have no regrets

|

8/29/2013 8:54 PM

What's up man. I started riding in '85, began trail riding in '90, and raced BMX from '94-'99. I stopped riding when I joined the Navy, but now I'm married with 2 kids and began riding again in February of 2013 when my son became interested in riding. I ride park and street now with my son, and meet a ton of guys in their 30's and 40's who also started riding again when their kids got into it. My son races at our local BMX track now too. My only regret is that I stopped riding for so long. I won't hang it up again until I can't physically ride. It still makes me smile when I learn a new trick (which happens quite frequently now that I started riding street and park). Get back on your bike and see how great it feels man!!

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

8/30/2013 9:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2013 9:23 AM

Honestly, I see being a parent as a reason TO ride. Sure, slow down some and wear your protective gear to help keep from busting your skull up. But stop all together? No way. I'm 40, going on 41 and still ride.

The Whosoevers/Deathstar 2013-John DeCaprio

|

8/30/2013 10:08 AM

Damn, this has made me think really deep. I've already had a nice taste in this whole thing. Between school and working part time, and some homework.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

8/30/2013 10:15 AM

Fondue wrote:

Honestly, I see being a parent as a reason TO ride. Sure, slow down some and wear your protective gear to help keep from busting your skull up. But stop all together? No way. I'm 40, going on 41 and still ride.

Yes man, this is what I like to here.

Funny thing when I was 17 I quit for 2yrs because I thought I was getting to old for it. Haha WTF was I thinking...I'm 31 now lol

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

8/30/2013 10:21 AM

Fondue wrote:

Haha, this for sure!

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

8/30/2013 10:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2013 10:48 AM

Madtown608 wrote:

What's up man. I started riding in '85, began trail riding in '90, and raced BMX from '94-'99. I stopped riding when I joined the Navy, but now I'm married with 2 kids and began riding again in February of 2013 when my son became interested in riding. I ride park and street now with my son, and meet a ton of guys in their 30's and 40's who also started riding again when their kids got into it. My son races at our local BMX track now too. My only regret is that I stopped riding for so long. I won't hang it up again until I can't physically ride. It still makes me smile when I learn a new trick (which happens quite frequently now that I started riding street and park). Get back on your bike and see how great it feels man!!

Same situation here. I wished I never stopped riding but I have no regrets. I had to date, focus on school, jobs, etc. I didn't get back to BMX until 17 years later, in my 30s, when my son hit age 5 and wanted to ride a bike. Now me and my 3 boys are all on BMX bikes with the youngest on a balance bike.

|

Back into BMX after 17 years. I just want to learn how to manual dammit!

2012 Fit WiFi Custom

8/30/2013 12:54 PM

Madtown608 wrote:

whocares wrote:

Same situation here. I wished I never stopped riding but I have no regrets. I had to date, focus on school, jobs, etc. I didn't get back to BMX until 17 years later, in my 30s, when my son hit age 5 and wanted to ride a bike. Now me and my 3 boys are all on BMX bikes with the youngest on a balance bike.

That's so cool mate.

I got a 12yr old son, he's a scooter kid haha

Think yourself lucky lmafo

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

8/30/2013 4:44 PM

Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring fellow riders to cherish and enjoy those priceless moments that BMX gives us!

|