One benefit of running grips with flanges

Related:
Create New Tag

1/1/2020 6:11 PM

I don't bar so its not an issue for me but the bars on the left are 10mos old and always ridden with flanged grips but the ones on the right, have only been ridden about a month with flangeless grips.

Photo
Photo

|

1/1/2020 7:21 PM

Another thing I liked flanges for was back when I preferred them for brake setups. I’d run a flange on my lever side so my thumb wouldn’t scratch against the clamp and a flangeless grip on the other side without a lever.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

1/1/2020 8:33 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Another thing I liked flanges for was back when I preferred them for brake setups. I’d run a flange on my lever side so my thumb wouldn’t scratch against the clamp and a flangeless grip on the other side without a lever.

I started bmx with flanged grips because of brakes too and always just liked how they look, so never stopped using them.

|

1/1/2020 9:06 PM

I've always had flanged grips, 37 years now.. Just don't seem right without them. God forbid, you land wrong and somehow take it up the backdoor, flanges bro..

|

1/1/2020 9:16 PM

Tried flangeless grips for about a month , thumb part of my hand litteraly got bloody chunks chewed out of it from my brake lever , lock on grips with a flange have been my go too for a long time

|

1/1/2020 11:32 PM

I never thought about the flanged grips helping keep your thumb from getting all cut up. I can't remember what I was doing but my brake lever would dig right into the side of my thumb.

|

1/1/2020 11:35 PM

I don’t have flanges and mine don’t look like that even after a year & a half riding these bars. all my other bars did though idk why these are any different

If I get bored and run brakes I don’t need them either cause I ride my hands on the ends of my bars so flanges are completely useless to me

|

1/3/2020 9:06 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I don’t have flanges and mine don’t look like that even after a year & a half riding these bars. all my other bars did though idk why these are any different

If I get bored and run brakes I don’t need them either cause I ride my hands on the ends of my bars so flanges are completely useless to me

It's from flipping over the bars practicing nosemanuals. I do about the same amount now.. actually fall less than I did when riding.the other bars.

|

1/3/2020 9:11 AM

Another benefit with flanges... blisters. Haven't rode them since I was a kid and wouldn't even consider it.

|

1/3/2020 9:16 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

Another benefit with flanges... blisters. Haven't rode them since I was a kid and wouldn't even consider it.

Oooof. Sorry to hear. well if you feel like protecting the bends in your bars from getting excessively scratched from flipping forward.... 👍👍😁

|

1/6/2020 9:52 AM

I can't decide if I like them or not. My first bike didn't have any and now I have a set. I think I prefer it without...….. But I don't have brakes, so I think I would like them if I had brakes.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

1/8/2020 9:49 AM

quick16g wrote:

I never thought about the flanged grips helping keep your thumb from getting all cut up. I can't remember what I was doing but my brake lever would dig right into the side of my thumb.

Could be wrong on this but I believe that's what they were invented for originally.

|

1/12/2020 1:15 PM

Another benifit is less likely to get throttle grip as the flange stops sweat from getting under the grip in my experience.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

1/12/2020 2:13 PM

Or you could just run ODI XL's and cut them so they cover the bends tada flangeless.

|