One of these stupid threads again.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/28/2014 3:36 PM

So making my order for brakes finally. Just want to know if there is anything you guys advise i should change or if there is any better coopons available. Cheers guys

Photo

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

7/28/2014 3:38 PM

*facepalm just order the shit
on second thought, springfields are shit brakes, they have no stopping power, the ghost pads are shit, and they feel super spongy
get better shit
i had springfields on for all of 2 days before i sold them

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/28/2014 3:48 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

on second thought, springfields are shit brakes, they have no stopping power, the ghost pads are ...more

See thats why i checked here before i ordered spongy (as you say) brakes. What other brake setup would you advise running? I don't want to spend a shit load since I may not choose to keep running brakes once i get them?

|

7/28/2014 3:50 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

on second thought, springfields are shit brakes, they have no stopping power, the ghost pads are ...more

jamiespadina wrote:

See thats why i checked here before i ordered spongy (as you say) brakes. What other brake setup would you advise running? I ...more

im not a brake guy anymore so i have no idea
i think tech 77 levers are still considered by the older riders to be reliable and a good choice
maybe oddy brakes?

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/28/2014 4:02 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

jamiespadina wrote:

See thats why i checked here before i ordered spongy (as you say) brakes. What other brake setup would you advise running? I ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

im not a brake guy anymore so i have no idea
i think tech 77 levers are still considered by the older riders to be reliable ...more

Yeah the Tech 77 was my first lever when i was younger and ran brakes. Just want to pick up were i left off.

|

7/28/2014 5:02 PM

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/biltwell-bonanza-helmet

So i decided to grab my old primo brake setup off my mate that stopped riding, which i thought he had sold. So i'm going to grab myself This helmet instead.

|

7/28/2014 5:07 PM

i swear to god steve crandall has that exact same helmet lol

|

7/28/2014 5:13 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Wait really? that guy is a legend haha. Want mine in the Matte red to match the bars and sprocket

|

7/28/2014 5:13 PM

hey I like my springfields,

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/28/2014 5:16 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

How does the spring on them hold up? and have there been any problems with them

|

7/28/2014 5:33 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

jamiespadina wrote:

i broke two, they suck

|

7/28/2014 5:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2014 5:36 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

jamiespadina wrote:

if the springs breaks, u can order a new one.
go to the hardware store and buy a new one for less then 90 cents.
or rummage though the junk drawer for a rubber band.

seriously, you do NOT need super powerful springs on a brake, ALL they do is push the pads away when the lever is released, hell a rubberband will work just the same. hell for 1 dollar, you can buy a whole bag of the damn things, and will probably last you at least 2-3 years before you run out of "brake bands"

if the arms break, ITS AN ODYSSEY PRODUCT, THEY WILL SEND YOU A NEW ONE.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/28/2014 5:41 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

jamiespadina wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

or rummage ...more

its still a pain in the ass to have to deal with
besides the point, they suck dick compared to just about any other brake on the market
your money is best spent elsewhere
look here
http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Broken-Odyssey-Springfield-Brakes,1275922 broken arm
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=560469&p=1 broken spring and reported weak power
http://www.bikeguide.org/forum/index.php?topic=212946.240 broken springs
http://www.bikeguide.org/forum/index.php?topic=219189.0 broken springs and spongy
now tell me you still want to buy them

|

7/28/2014 5:42 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

jamiespadina wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

or rummage ...more

That is actually a really good point. Since i'm ordering my new helmet this arve ill order this after my pay goes through on wednesday (your tuesday) ill order my set. You just stole me with the rubber bands hahahaah

|

7/28/2014 5:44 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

or rummage ...more

jamiespadina wrote:

That is actually a really good point. Since i'm ordering my new helmet this arve ill order this after my pay goes through on ...more

read my post with links

|

7/28/2014 5:47 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

read my post with links

Did. But for a brake setup that is cheap and super eazy to install i'm okay with the spongy gunky factor. And i spoke to G about them and he said if they snap or anything they will replace them no questions asked.

|

jamiespadina wrote:

That is actually a really good point. Since i'm ordering my new helmet this arve ill order this after my pay goes through on ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

read my post with links

jamiespadina wrote:

Did. But for a brake setup that is cheap and super eazy to install i'm okay with the spongy gunky factor. And i spoke to G ...more

your loss

|

if your looking for a brake set you can throw on your bike to use it as an a-b thing, or just tired of dealing with noisy brakes, and arnt using your brakes for doing tricks and stuff, then the springfield is perfect.

if your looking for a brake that can stand up to a fufunu-180 fakie to manual, you might want to look at the Evo II or the Shadow Sano

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/28/2014 5:48 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

if your looking for a brake set you can throw on your bike to use it as an a-b thing, or just tired of dealing with noisy ...more

normal brakes install just as easily, maybe an extra minute on the install?

|

7/28/2014 5:53 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

if your looking for a brake set you can throw on your bike to use it as an a-b thing, or just tired of dealing with noisy ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

I setup brakes all day at work, I can tell you they dont.
takes about 20-30 minutes to fully dial in breaks perfectly,
took me maybe less then 10 minutes to do the springfeilds, and most of that was taking off the old brakes. and they where dialed out of the box....

In mass production, you will always come across some items with flaws in them to cause weakness, But, thats to be expected. and with a Lifetime warrenty, from a Company Like Odyssey who has been a leading innovator of the sport's tech since '85 chances are, they have a pretty good product.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/28/2014 5:57 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

I setup brakes all day at work, I can tell you they dont.
takes about 20-30 minutes to fully dial in breaks perfectly,
took ...more

problem is, you get little to no adjustability with springfields compared to others
but whatever, i guess simplicity is a priority for some, and i guess i respect that /thread

|

7/28/2014 6:01 PM

well, the adjustment behind a traditional u brake is brake timing, but because the springfeild shares the spring, they self center themselves, so theirs no need for that- they have about the same amount of adjustment as any other brakes i've seen. unless you decide to do custom stuff like make your own hanger cable and stuff, but ya know.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/28/2014 6:58 PM

Get fly manuals if you want something simple, reliable, and poweful

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

7/28/2014 8:02 PM

How do the old primo E-Brakes hold up in comparison to these? Can pick up my old ones from a friend who was borrowing them but has since quit bmx

|

7/28/2014 8:04 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Just had a look. Pretty sure The Blue Falcon wears one as well

|

7/29/2014 9:18 AM

I don't know how someone can break a brake arm. I have a cheap tektro brake haven't break them yet.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

7/29/2014 4:50 PM

neophyte16 wrote:

I don't know how someone can break a brake arm. I have a cheap tektro brake haven't break them yet.

Me either i've never seen it done in person before. Seems like it would need a hell of a lot of stress

|

7/29/2014 9:05 PM

Id go with the tech 77, tektros, and tree cable. All you have to do is learn how to set up the brakes. The tektros ate also MUCH better feeling than the Springfields in my opinion.

|

7/29/2014 10:12 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Id go with the tech 77, tektros, and tree cable. All you have to do is learn how to set up the brakes. The tektros ate also ...more

Alright thanks smile been a few years since i set up some on y own bike. Thats u brakes.

I set up V brakes all the time though so i'm guessing its about the same thing. just slight different cable placement?

|