Opinion? Least Maintenance Brakes (F+R) + Gyro

Related:
Create New Tag

2/23/2020 6:49 PM

Any opinions for the best operating, with little to rare maintenance required, front and back brakes + gyro and associated cables?

|

2/23/2020 7:24 PM

You want brakes with little maintenance get a decent lever so the barrel adjuster doesn’t strip. A straight cable and some odyssey Springfield brakes. You dont have to touch them.

Front brakes are simple. It’s just a Straight cable.

Gyros are just naturally more maintenance. I run a odyssey m2 with dual upper/total upper plate/shadow detangler/ total dbs dual cables/ eclat talon calipers and kool stop Supra 2 pads. I still adjust them. Keep your wheels true at all times and it’s easier to maintain

|

2/23/2020 8:59 PM

The Odyssey Springfield is typically the go-to choice for minimal maintenance, however they are known to have issues when used with gyro set ups. Also not sure if they work as fronts..

Most other U-Brakes function practically the same as each other, so just go with whatever you think looks best, and make sure they specify that they are compatible with front brakes

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


2/23/2020 9:06 PM

You actually have to maintain your brakes? Honestly my brakes never dejust and I maintain literally everything on my bike.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/24/2020 4:37 AM

The only maintenance I do on my brakes is initial setup. Then it is rare unless I have new cables-cause new cables tend to stretch a bit.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/24/2020 7:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2020 7:26 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The Odyssey Springfield is typically the go-to choice for minimal maintenance, however they are known to have issues when used with gyro set ups. Also not sure if they work as fronts..

Most other U-Brakes function practically the same as each other, so just go with whatever you think looks best, and make sure they specify that they are compatible with front brakes

What issues do they have with detangler setups? Also, I have successfully used Springfield brakes in the front.

I run a Shadow Sano detangler with Odyssey upper and lower cables, Odyssey M-lever, some kind of aluminum cable hanger, Springfield u-brakes in the rear with black ghost pads.

My advice is to take the pads off every few rides and scrub all the glazed on shit with sandpaper or a rough scrub pad.

Also importand is to wipe your rims down with alcohol every couple rides so your brakes actually work. Lol

The rest of the maintanence is much less frequent. Such as changing out your pads, adjusting cable length after it has stretched a bit, oiling your cable (inside the cable housing), re-adjusting lever after a crash, etc.

If you get the setup I have, its a no-brainer just set it up and go.

|

2/24/2020 9:45 AM

Are chrome rims still considered the best for brakes or does it not really matter? I remember back in the day everyone rode with a black rim up front and chrome in the rear for the stopping power but I don't see that much anymore. Granted I don't see much brakes at all anymore which may be a factor too.

Just thinking out loud here.

|

2/24/2020 10:22 AM

Orbital28 wrote:

Are chrome rims still considered the best for brakes or does it not really matter? I remember back in the day everyone rode with a black rim up front and chrome in the rear for the stopping power but I don't see that much anymore. Granted I don't see much brakes at all anymore which may be a factor too.

Just thinking out loud here.

You can run whatever now if you run clear pads. Brakes will be amazing regardless of color.

|

2/25/2020 7:16 AM

Orbital28 wrote:

Are chrome rims still considered the best for brakes or does it not really matter? I remember back in the day everyone rode with a black rim up front and chrome in the rear for the stopping power but I don't see that much anymore. Granted I don't see much brakes at all anymore which may be a factor too.

Just thinking out loud here.

Mulletsnax wrote:

You can run whatever now if you run clear pads. Brakes will be amazing regardless of color.

I wouldn’t run clear on chrome though, I’ve done that before and they seize up like nobody’s business.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/25/2020 7:24 AM

Orbital28 wrote:

Are chrome rims still considered the best for brakes or does it not really matter? I remember back in the day everyone rode with a black rim up front and chrome in the rear for the stopping power but I don't see that much anymore. Granted I don't see much brakes at all anymore which may be a factor too.

Just thinking out loud here.

Mulletsnax wrote:

You can run whatever now if you run clear pads. Brakes will be amazing regardless of color.

HavokDJ wrote:

I wouldn’t run clear on chrome though, I’ve done that before and they seize up like nobody’s business.

Clear stick to my black rims also. But if you like fufanus on back railings in quarters I’ll take it over anything else anyday

|

4/26/2020 10:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2020 10:42 PM

Thanks guys! I wasn’t getting notifications of replies so I didn’t notice all your help!

I went down a gyro and front brake rabbit hole out of pandemic based boredom and dealing with my desire to run front and back brakes with minimal maintenance.

Any who, if anyone wants to dig deeper into a lost art, brakes and gyros, I have tried these in various combinations:

* TSC Sano V2 gyro
* TSC gyro plate
* Odyssey gyro plate
* WTP Message gyro plate
* Odyssey Gyro cables (regular ones with barrel adjuster)
* TSC Sano Cable
* Odyssey M2 lever
* Odyssey M2 cable
* Odyssey Springfields
* Odyssey Evo 2.5’s
*Eclat Talon
*Odyssey London mod
*Kink lower gyro cables
*Regular plain old Odyssey gyro lower cable
* Odyssey Trigger lever (left/right)
* Odyssey Ghost (clear)
* Eclat female pads (clear)
* Odyssey 2x4 (clear)
* Black G-Sport Birdcage + Ribcage

I have used these with 9.5 Cult bars that are 28” wide and 10” Deco bars that are 27” wide. And used Fit Aitken, Sunday Freeze, and Odyssey Tomahawk stems.

I need to read all the replies and maybe try or retry stuff? And I’m getting an S&M Enduro, S&M Plate, Kink Universal cable, and Alienation Vandal rim

But after I test this new stuff if anyone would be interested I can nerd out on it with you if you’re a gyro and/or front brake user or gyro? Or are gyro or front brake curious? There is also a pandemic so I’ll need a new distraction after I’m done with my gyro and front brake over obsessing 😂

|

4/27/2020 12:04 AM

Mulletsnax wrote:

You want brakes with little maintenance get a decent lever so the barrel adjuster doesn’t strip. A straight cable and some odyssey Springfield brakes. You dont have to touch them.

Front brakes are simple. It’s just a Straight cable.

Gyros are just naturally more maintenance. I run a odyssey m2 with dual upper/total upper plate/shadow detangler/ total dbs dual cables/ eclat talon calipers and kool stop Supra 2 pads. I still adjust them. Keep your wheels true at all times and it’s easier to maintain

Where did you get your Total gyro stuff? I’m interested in trying out their gyro plate and probably other gyro stuff they got.

I am going to re test the Eclat Talon but found the Evo 2.5 way less complicated than I thought they would be front or back.

Thanks for the advice before, I read it months later 😂 , but I’m going to try a majority if your set up at some point + am looking into a cheap used truing stand while I spend 10x longer without using zip ties...

|

4/27/2020 12:06 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The Odyssey Springfield is typically the go-to choice for minimal maintenance, however they are known to have issues when used with gyro set ups. Also not sure if they work as fronts..

Most other U-Brakes function practically the same as each other, so just go with whatever you think looks best, and make sure they specify that they are compatible with front brakes

Bulletpup wrote:

What issues do they have with detangler setups? Also, I have successfully used Springfield brakes in the front.

I run a Shadow Sano detangler with Odyssey upper and lower cables, Odyssey M-lever, some kind of aluminum cable hanger, Springfield u-brakes in the rear with black ghost pads.

My advice is to take the pads off every few rides and scrub all the glazed on shit with sandpaper or a rough scrub pad.

Also importand is to wipe your rims down with alcohol every couple rides so your brakes actually work. Lol

The rest of the maintanence is much less frequent. Such as changing out your pads, adjusting cable length after it has stretched a bit, oiling your cable (inside the cable housing), re-adjusting lever after a crash, etc.

If you get the setup I have, its a no-brainer just set it up and go.

I literally think it’s time I did all the stuff you suggest in this, thanks so much, going to do it later today. It’s been a bit and my brakes are getting louder and working less good. So, yeah, need to do all this!

I also like the Sano V2, do you like it better than the GTX-S, if you’ve tried that?

|

4/27/2020 12:13 AM

Orbital28 wrote:

Are chrome rims still considered the best for brakes or does it not really matter? I remember back in the day everyone rode with a black rim up front and chrome in the rear for the stopping power but I don't see that much anymore. Granted I don't see much brakes at all anymore which may be a factor too.

Just thinking out loud here.

I had chrome G-Sport rims for a bit with Odyssey black 2x4 and Ghost Pads pads and I then got black G-Sports with clear pads... I think technically the chrome with black were less sticky and stopped better...?

...yet... I might be insane here, but I have only rode street and flowed around without using the brakes much a very small skatepark with both set ups? I haven’t yet rode a huge skatepark, trails, or done a huge gap full speed... my theory is the chrome with black would’ve stopped me much better if I had a beaver cross a jump at the trails/scooter child at the park/a car on the street... but I have mostly gotten what I needed with the black and clear and think I’d be okay even in these scenarios.....

I however am going to test an Alienation Vandal rim that while black they say is anodized different so it’s as good as chrome? I’ll let you people know what that is like if they want to know...

|

4/27/2020 4:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2020 4:19 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The Odyssey Springfield is typically the go-to choice for minimal maintenance, however they are known to have issues when used with gyro set ups. Also not sure if they work as fronts..

Most other U-Brakes function practically the same as each other, so just go with whatever you think looks best, and make sure they specify that they are compatible with front brakes

Bulletpup wrote:

What issues do they have with detangler setups? Also, I have successfully used Springfield brakes in the front.

I run a Shadow Sano detangler with Odyssey upper and lower cables, Odyssey M-lever, some kind of aluminum cable hanger, Springfield u-brakes in the rear with black ghost pads.

My advice is to take the pads off every few rides and scrub all the glazed on shit with sandpaper or a rough scrub pad.

Also importand is to wipe your rims down with alcohol every couple rides so your brakes actually work. Lol

The rest of the maintanence is much less frequent. Such as changing out your pads, adjusting cable length after it has stretched a bit, oiling your cable (inside the cable housing), re-adjusting lever after a crash, etc.

If you get the setup I have, its a no-brainer just set it up and go.

BBH11 wrote:

I literally think it’s time I did all the stuff you suggest in this, thanks so much, going to do it later today. It’s been a bit and my brakes are getting louder and working less good. So, yeah, need to do all this!

I also like the Sano V2, do you like it better than the GTX-S, if you’ve tried that?

I never owned a gtx. My first detangler was an old school design I got for super cheap to see if I would like it.

I did. wink

|

4/27/2020 9:20 AM

Mulletsnax wrote:

You want brakes with little maintenance get a decent lever so the barrel adjuster doesn’t strip. A straight cable and some odyssey Springfield brakes. You dont have to touch them.

Front brakes are simple. It’s just a Straight cable.

Gyros are just naturally more maintenance. I run a odyssey m2 with dual upper/total upper plate/shadow detangler/ total dbs dual cables/ eclat talon calipers and kool stop Supra 2 pads. I still adjust them. Keep your wheels true at all times and it’s easier to maintain

BBH11 wrote:

Where did you get your Total gyro stuff? I’m interested in trying out their gyro plate and probably other gyro stuff they got.

I am going to re test the Eclat Talon but found the Evo 2.5 way less complicated than I thought they would be front or back.

Thanks for the advice before, I read it months later 😂 , but I’m going to try a majority if your set up at some point + am looking into a cheap used truing stand while I spend 10x longer without using zip ties...

I spent forever trying to find this gyro plate. Total never had them in stock and neither did their US distributor. So I finally had to just order from SC bicycles. They had a couple in.

I love it can’t speak for their detangler. But I don’t run any kind of spacer. Just my kink ti headset then the gyro plate then stem. It gives me plenty of room and helps get rid of the slack in my m2 lever. 10/10 one of my favorite parts on my bike

|

4/27/2020 10:54 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

What issues do they have with detangler setups? Also, I have successfully used Springfield brakes in the front.

I run a Shadow Sano detangler with Odyssey upper and lower cables, Odyssey M-lever, some kind of aluminum cable hanger, Springfield u-brakes in the rear with black ghost pads.

My advice is to take the pads off every few rides and scrub all the glazed on shit with sandpaper or a rough scrub pad.

Also importand is to wipe your rims down with alcohol every couple rides so your brakes actually work. Lol

The rest of the maintanence is much less frequent. Such as changing out your pads, adjusting cable length after it has stretched a bit, oiling your cable (inside the cable housing), re-adjusting lever after a crash, etc.

If you get the setup I have, its a no-brainer just set it up and go.

BBH11 wrote:

I literally think it’s time I did all the stuff you suggest in this, thanks so much, going to do it later today. It’s been a bit and my brakes are getting louder and working less good. So, yeah, need to do all this!

I also like the Sano V2, do you like it better than the GTX-S, if you’ve tried that?

Bulletpup wrote:

I never owned a gtx. My first detangler was an old school design I got for super cheap to see if I would like it.

I did. wink

I still haven’t bought a gtx yet. I’ve been running the same old raggedy ass detangler for like 10 years now

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/27/2020 11:08 AM

BBH11 wrote:

I literally think it’s time I did all the stuff you suggest in this, thanks so much, going to do it later today. It’s been a bit and my brakes are getting louder and working less good. So, yeah, need to do all this!

I also like the Sano V2, do you like it better than the GTX-S, if you’ve tried that?

Bulletpup wrote:

I never owned a gtx. My first detangler was an old school design I got for super cheap to see if I would like it.

I did. wink

HavokDJ wrote:

I still haven’t bought a gtx yet. I’ve been running the same old raggedy ass detangler for like 10 years now

Well...id venture to say you have got your money's worth and then some!

|

4/27/2020 1:34 PM

BBH11 wrote:

I had chrome G-Sport rims for a bit with Odyssey black 2x4 and Ghost Pads pads and I then got black G-Sports with clear pads... I think technically the chrome with black were less sticky and stopped better...?

...yet... I might be insane here, but I have only rode street and flowed around without using the brakes much a very small skatepark with both set ups? I haven’t yet rode a huge skatepark, trails, or done a huge gap full speed... my theory is the chrome with black would’ve stopped me much better if I had a beaver cross a jump at the trails/scooter child at the park/a car on the street... but I have mostly gotten what I needed with the black and clear and think I’d be okay even in these scenarios.....

I however am going to test an Alienation Vandal rim that while black they say is anodized different so it’s as good as chrome? I’ll let you people know what that is like if they want to know...

I'd be interested in hearing your review of the vandal rim. I read that whatever they did to the coating is supposed to make for incredible stopping power but I haven't heard from anyone with first hand experience yet.

|

4/27/2020 2:33 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I never owned a gtx. My first detangler was an old school design I got for super cheap to see if I would like it.

I did. wink

I like the Sano too. I had a GTX very WAY back in the day and I appreciate the built in knarps on the Sano... I don’t know about the V1, but the V2 I got weighs the same as and seems as thin as the GTX... both are sealed too

|

4/27/2020 2:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2020 2:45 PM

Orbital28 wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing your review of the vandal rim. I read that whatever they did to the coating is supposed to make for incredible stopping power but I haven't heard from anyone with first hand experience yet.

I’ll definitely let you know! I’ll have it built up in about a week or so. If it’s rad I’m going to build both wheels with it (I run front and back brakes).

Only thing I’m worried about is it’s lightness? I’m a big guy 200+ pounds and I’m not good enough to break stuff yet but if I try a 360 and land 270 too fast, I have to tru my wheels being a fat portly 🐖 of a fellow...

I have run G-Sport Rib and Roll cages front and rear (and a birdcage up front) and with proper psi and I haven’t had to tru or worry much, but the VANDAL has some NASA designed “4D” truing tech 😂 and it’s absurdly light... lighter than the g-sport birdcage!... so yeah I’ll let you know too if it 🌮’s when I try to learn still very basic stuff and this 🐷 lands wrong on the wheel....

|