Opinions welcome...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2017 10:18 PM

This makes me upset, It shouldnt but it does.

I guess at the end of the day, if you spend the money on your own free will...

Why not just buy a cheap 12" bike and rip the cranks out?

Then when the child has developed skills in the balance department, You could reinstall the cranks and let the child move on to the next step of riding.

If this was priced around the same as a walmart 12" it might be worth considering for a not-so-handy parent with a blatant lack of tools.

Thoughts?Photo

|

12/13/2017 10:48 PM

not every parent wants to remove cranks from a bike. MANY people don't know how to do it.

I have removed many a crank set for parents.

|

12/13/2017 11:51 PM

I bought my friends 2 year old daughter a haro freestyler push bike , 150 bucks she loves it there cool , 150 to spend isn’t that much for a bike

|

12/13/2017 11:51 PM

The idea is (and it works) that kids learn to balance well with these, so when they outgrow a balance bike they go straight to a bigger bike with no stabilisers. So they'd be no point in taking cranks out of, and putting them back into a bike that the kids outgrown. And, if you don't want to spend that money on it, buy a cheaper one from somewhere else

|

12/13/2017 11:54 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The idea is (and it works) that kids learn to balance well with these, so when they outgrow a balance bike they go straight to ...more

This.

Plus, it has platforms for the kids feet, as opposed to nothing.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/14/2017 5:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 5:49 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The idea is (and it works) that kids learn to balance well with these, so when they outgrow a balance bike they go straight to ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This.

What has platforms? I thought the whole point of the push bike is that it doesnt have platorms?

I understand the point of a push bike, I think it really makes a lot of sense. Training wheels always seemed like a crutch that kids would instantly lock into and throw balance out the window in favor of.

As I said earlier, if you dont mind spending extra money and you would rather spend money supporting a brand that you like it especially makes sense.

I still dont see why it should be 150 dollars especially since its not really intended for any kind of real abuse.

I am aware that some other companies are charging similar prices and I will admit this is one of the cooler looking push bikes.

|

12/14/2017 5:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 5:49 AM

They work.

Besides, a typical cheap kids 12" bike has a standover and seat that are too high to reach the ground, let alone scoot along to learn balance. These are designed with a different geometry (as a bmxer you should understand that some) to allow smaller and younger kids to start learning to balance on two wheels.

My son started on his strider at about 1 1/2 and was CRUISING when he turned 2-riding little ramps from plywood and 2X4s I made last summer before he turned 3. Now he is on a pedal bike with no training wheels, asking to go to the skateparks and for me to put pegs on it so he can hit the little rail I have for him.

That's my known facts. My opinion is that they are GREAT. Hate all you want, they are PROVEN better than training wheels, and keep a solid return selling used. They are also designed better than a cheap 12" bike.

As to the platforms, the frames jut out a little right where a BB would be, and usually there is a little grip tape. Essentially standing on the chainstays.

You can get other brands and some are cheaper. My sons Strider brand was 100 bucks. They sell them at the local Target now for 75.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/14/2017 5:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 5:58 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

What has platforms? I thought the whole point of the push bike is that it doesnt have platorms?

I understand the point of a ...more

It's just a little nub where the bb would be. Only meant for putting feet on to practice cruising on 2 wheels when they're comfortable enough. Far easier for a kid to learn balance on then a spinning crankset, and far closer to the ground than what would be on an actual bike.

It's meant for little kids who otherwise wouldn't even be capable of riding a regular bike. Like REALLY little kids.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/14/2017 6:29 AM

Here's an opinion for ya. "You're a dick". wink Merry Christmas!!!

|

12/14/2017 6:34 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The gift of a swift insult! Priceless! Lol

|

12/14/2017 6:35 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This.

Bulletpup wrote:

I understand the point of a ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

It's just a little nub where the bb would be. Only meant for putting feet on to practice cruising on 2 wheels when they're ...more

Oh, i didnt see that. Thank you for clarifying smile

|

12/14/2017 6:36 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

They work.

Besides, a typical cheap kids 12" bike has a standover and seat that are too high to reach the ground, let alone ...more

I dont disagree with the concept, just the price.

Honestly, it doesnt affect me at all. I just was looking into them for a friend and saw some prices I wasnt expecting.

|

12/14/2017 6:40 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I dont disagree with the concept, just the price.

Honestly, it doesnt affect me at all. I just was looking into them for a ...more

Oh yea, the price sucks, and they exploit a bunch because of them working as well as they do if you ask me. The one my son has is a couple front wheels, what almost looks like a fork with a seat tube, and another angled tube going to a HT with a BUSHING headset.

Seriously, there is almost nothing to them. I could probably rummage through a scrap bin at a welding place, find the necessary parts to make almost all of one, then snag a couple front wheels from a couple junk 12" bikes and have a homemade one for like 25 bucks TOPS.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/14/2017 8:11 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I wanted to get you something you'd like!

|

12/14/2017 8:20 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I wanted to get you something you'd like!

Shouldve nabbed that handlebar chain for me if you wanted to blow my mind!

|

12/14/2017 8:52 AM

Do allot of people not have jobs on here ? I don’t get what’s to be pissed about 150 bucks for a bike , I’m working all the time so I like to spend lots on bikes , I want my bikes to be balling as fuck , I work for them , hell I can spend 150 at a bar in a night easy

|

12/14/2017 9:09 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Do allot of people not have jobs on here ? I don’t get what’s to be pissed about 150 bucks for a bike , I’m working all the ...more

man for real, 150 ain't shit.

|

It’s all bmx

12/14/2017 11:00 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Do allot of people not have jobs on here ? I don’t get what’s to be pissed about 150 bucks for a bike , I’m working all the ...more

1000 dollars aint shit either....Im not hurting for money.

Thats not the point though, the point is 150 is a lot to ask for what this is. Its not built with high quality components, tubing or special processes to justify the price.

Its not made to withstand drops, hard crashes etc.

Its a hi-ten, no brake, unsealed, push bike that will be outgrown relatively quickly.

|

12/14/2017 11:13 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Thats not the point though, the point is 150 is a lot to ask for ...more

Bottom line, it's supply & demand. It's been proven to be the (current) most effective method of training a child bicycle balance & how to ride a bike (eventually). Most people do not have the means of building this themselves & I suspect that they priced it at a point where even people who do have the skills to build this, might think twice about the time investment. A "Why would I invest all that time for this when I could just buy it for $150?" sort of pricing structure. & for those who have no DIY skills, it's available at a "modest price". For those parents, they buy it for the same reason we don't make our own tires from scratch.

|

12/14/2017 12:49 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Thats not the point though, the point is 150 is a lot to ask for ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bottom line, it's supply & demand. It's been proven to be the (current) most effective method of training a child bicycle ...more

Very true. I guess it just boils down to, I wouldnt pay that. I guess Im somewhat of an anomaly when ot comes to push bikes, Eastern, Shitty mountain bikes and Mongoose, turns out.

|

12/14/2017 6:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2017 6:17 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Very true. I guess it just boils down to, I wouldnt pay that. I guess Im somewhat of an anomaly when ot comes to push bikes, ...more

They are called balance bikes.

I would say 100-150 is a competitive market price point. Strider had a big chunk of the market and companies use to rebrand/resticker the striders.

Some companies are now making their own balance bikes. It is more of a parent image deal then the kids image deal.
Parent has Kink bmx, cool to have kids first bike be a Kink bmx. No dif then a parent liking nikes and getting the kid nikes.
--------------

With the age a kid can start on a balance bike, A true 12 pedal bike would be big for them to push around, balance on.

|