Outdated Bmx Habits

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2019 1:48 PM

Bmx has evolved a lot more than some other sports in the same time, and with that all sorts of trends and beliefs. Whats something you heard/believed/stuck with you even though it is now either outdated information, superstition, or just not valid.

Biggest for me is the “2peg rule”. Older kids around me (early 2000’s) always said only pussies used 4pegs, its ugly, and cheating. According to them, if something is on the wrong side, you either rotate or go over the rail to make it work. Its complete bs and I love watching 4peg edits, but I dont think I will ever change. 4pegs still looks ugly to me, and I like how it forces me to be creative and adapt to certain spots. It has become a big part of my stylo.

|

3/26/2019 2:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2019 2:01 PM

I still slam my seat- I don’t understand how people under 6 foot are riding 9 inch standovers with a fist of post or more. I can’t even suck my legs up lol.

I don’t ride 4 pegs never liked it I’m usually pegless but sometimes 2 or 3

Frontload stems- I hate toploads I think they’re so ugly lol. very few look decent

Light bikes- I don’t get the heavy bike trend and never will I like my bike to be around 21-24 lbs. especially my wheels being light.

Tires- can’t ride over 2.15 or heavy tires they just feel awful and sluggish

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/26/2019 3:31 PM

I also believe that thinner tires are simply better. 1.95" is the biggest I'll go and it's the size I've been running pretty much ever since I started riding.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

3/26/2019 5:03 PM

Bars over 9" feel weird to me

Can't hop or do shit with them, feel like I'm not in control of the bike

|

3/26/2019 6:52 PM

Four wrote:

I still slam my seat- I don’t understand how people under 6 foot are riding 9 inch standovers with a fist of post or more. I can’t even suck my legs up lol.

Frontload stems- I hate toploads I think they’re so ugly lol. very few look decent

Light bikes- I don’t get the heavy bike trend and never will I like my bike to be around 21-24 lbs. especially my wheels being light.

Are you me? Only difference I have is that I don't mind a heavier bike.

|

3/26/2019 7:59 PM

Im still in the habit of wearing my 1995 Rector Knee pads.... I just slap them monsters over my pants and goon it up without a care. I also still wear a ballcap under my protec helmet all the time.

|

3/26/2019 9:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2019 1:16 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Bmx has evolved a lot more than some other sports in the same time, and with that all sorts of trends and beliefs. Whats something you heard/believed/stuck with you even though it is now either outdated information, superstition, or just not valid.

Biggest for me is the “2peg rule”. Older kids around me (early 2000’s) always said only pussies used 4pegs, its ugly, and cheating. According to them, if something is on the wrong side, you either rotate or go over the rail to make it work. Its complete bs and I love watching 4peg edits, but I dont think I will ever change. 4pegs still looks ugly to me, and I like how it forces me to be creative and adapt to certain spots. It has become a big part of my stylo.

Thats a weird thing to say...sounds like those people were just afraid to do things on their opposite side...lol

Glad you broke that curse.

Edit: I re-read the post and it sounds like you still dont like 4 pegs. I am glad you see that it is somewhat illogical though.

|

3/26/2019 10:21 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Im still in the habit of wearing my 1995 Rector Knee pads.... I just slap them monsters over my pants and goon it up without a care. I also still wear a ballcap under my protec helmet all the time.

Dave Freimuth reincarnated.

|

3/27/2019 12:12 AM

I still wear baggyish jeans.

I find the trick order that kids learn in weird. We always used to build up learning one trick, then the next in a line of progression. Every kid out there wants to or can do barspins, non of them can do a nice x up. And they learn tailwhips without getting no footers and no footed tricks dialled. That seems illogical to me.

|

3/27/2019 7:18 AM

Four wrote:

You can't suck your legs up? Try it on the setup here....

|

3/27/2019 8:04 AM

My roll outs from 180's. I've corrected them now but I still did the old spin around. I now do the hop around.

|

3/27/2019 8:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2019 8:59 AM

This is just my opinion so no one get buttmad but I seriously hate this "bulky" trend going on in BMX - fat seat, fat tires, fat sprocket w bulky guard, bulky freecoaster, tall seatpost, handlebar pads and frame zip-bags. Good example is Billy Perry or Simone Barraco. Bikes are beginning to look like homeless people's carts. I fully expect the next trend in BMX to be racks behind the seat so you can carry your camera, skateboard & lunch. Fuck your 2.69 tires and 12 inches of seatpost yet most still cant throw bars anyway.

Also add to this list those oversized cuffed to shit Dickies/Carhartt pants that everyone wears now.

|

3/27/2019 9:20 AM

I still back pedal when I ride fakie

Still have 2 pegs and a straight cable

Still do brake tricks

I will never run balloon tires

|

3/27/2019 9:28 AM

Four wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

Are you me? Only difference I have is that I don't mind a heavier bike.

Nah your bars are a lot smaller than mine! I can’t ride small bars anymore it feels like my back is being broken in two

|

3/27/2019 9:29 AM

Four wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You can't suck your legs up? Try it on the setup here....

I can still do the side tuck technique but that feels like shit haha. It mostly effects hop 3s for me

|

3/27/2019 9:39 AM

falloftroy20 wrote:

This is just my opinion so no one get buttmad but I seriously hate this "bulky" trend going on in BMX - fat seat, fat tires, fat sprocket w bulky guard, bulky freecoaster, tall seatpost, handlebar pads and frame zip-bags. Good example is Billy Perry or Simone Barraco. Bikes are beginning to look like homeless people's carts. I fully expect the next trend in BMX to be racks behind the seat so you can carry your camera, skateboard & lunch. Fuck your 2.69 tires and 12 inches of seatpost yet most still cant throw bars anyway.

Also add to this list those oversized cuffed to shit Dickies/Carhartt pants that everyone wears now.

This is the best post lol. I agree bikes look stupid as fuck now. Most of the bikes I see don’t even feel or look like bmx bikes but more like big mountain bikes. I personally don’t care what people ride but choosing bike parts sucks now lol because of the trends. It used to be fun but now I’m usually sorting through trying to find tires under 2.25 and 2lbs each. Everything is overbuilt now with forks at 36-40 oz, cranks at 35 oz, bars at 35 oz, rims at 20-23 oz lol. And most of the people with the 30 lb tank bikes just do feebles on ledges so why does everything need to be able to handle jumping 25 sets to flat.

Sure you don’t notice a few ounces on a part but when you add 5 oz to every part eventually you’re adding pounds to your bike that aren’t needed. And most bars on the market now cant be cut to 28 or under without losing all your grip area which is stupid. The best era for bmx bike shopping was like 2011-2014 maybe you could kinda find anything you wanted from short frames, long frames, big bars, small bars, fat seat, slim seat, small tires etc and the company selection seemed a lot better

Also yes cuffing your pants isn’t cool you look like a nerd. I’ve seen a lot of scooter kids riding in overalls lately haha. It’s like the current trend is to look as silly as possible

|

3/27/2019 10:06 AM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Four wrote:

This is the best post lol. I agree bikes look stupid as fuck now. Most of the bikes I see don’t even feel or look like bmx bikes but more like big mountain bikes. I personally don’t care what people ride but choosing bike parts sucks now lol because of the trends. It used to be fun but now I’m usually sorting through trying to find tires under 2.25 and 2lbs each. Everything is overbuilt now with forks at 36-40 oz, cranks at 35 oz, bars at 35 oz, rims at 20-23 oz lol. And most of the people with the 30 lb tank bikes just do feebles on ledges so why does everything need to be able to handle jumping 25 sets to flat.

Sure you don’t notice a few ounces on a part but when you add 5 oz to every part eventually you’re adding pounds to your bike that aren’t needed. And most bars on the market now cant be cut to 28 or under without losing all your grip area which is stupid. The best era for bmx bike shopping was like 2011-2014 maybe you could kinda find anything you wanted from short frames, long frames, big bars, small bars, fat seat, slim seat, small tires etc and the company selection seemed a lot better

Also yes cuffing your pants isn’t cool you look like a nerd. I’ve seen a lot of scooter kids riding in overalls lately haha. It’s like the current trend is to look as silly as possible

Pounds make kilos

|

3/27/2019 11:43 AM

Lol! Yeah we are for sure in the middle of one of those “silly bmx stages”. I mean I get that in the mid 2000’s bikes were asploding from the super lightness and huge hammers, but the reaction was too slow. Now the current riding style suits lightweight bikes, yet everyone is on a friggin tank and still strapping more shit on ?

@BulletPup: Yeah i still do 2pegs, and yeah I realize its irrational and limiting. I have done 4pegs in the past though, for months at a time even, but I end up taking them off because reasons

|

3/27/2019 12:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2019 12:51 PM

I like my bike, function over form/fashion. I like it light, low, responsive and pretty/neat. Brakes for life.

|

3/27/2019 1:02 PM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Lol! Yeah we are for sure in the middle of one of those “silly bmx stages”. I mean I get that in the mid 2000’s bikes were asploding from the super lightness and huge hammers, but the reaction was too slow. Now the current riding style suits lightweight bikes, yet everyone is on a friggin tank and still strapping more shit on ?

@BulletPup: Yeah i still do 2pegs, and yeah I realize its irrational and limiting. I have done 4pegs in the past though, for months at a time even, but I end up taking them off because reasons

No problem with me.

Im just happy when people are nice and out riding.

|

3/27/2019 1:04 PM

Right now I have a fist and change of seatpost, 180 or 185 cranks, 2.1 tires (I think) and NO pegs. Straight cable. Little Devil headtube badge.

But I do agree with some of the statements.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/27/2019 1:53 PM

Big bars/ tires have been going strong for almost 10yrs... It's almost silly to call them a "trend" at this point and I highly doubt that 2025 is going to be like 2005 again.

I do think more company's should make sub 2" tires (actual inflated size) and sub 8" bars for those that need/ want them. I've also seen more company's doing slim/ mid seats and tall seatpost are still the minority when it comes to BMX selection (you can always cut a seat post anyway).

As for the frame bags... Most of these pro riders do nothing, but travel and ride their bikes, so being able to throw tools, hydration and snacks in a frame bag and ditch the backpack doesn't seem that wack.

My old setup from 2005 imo wasn't outdated... I just simply "outgrew" it.

In 2005 I was about 5'6" and rode 7" bars, FL stem, 20.5" TT, 2.10/ 1.95 tires, no pegs, straight cable and absolutely loved it.

Then I grew 9" and stopped riding BMX as much as I used to, because of my height. Then company's started making bigger and stronger shit.

Now I'm 6'3" and ride 9.5" bars, TL stem, 21.5" TT, 2.4/ 2.1 tires, no pegs, straight cable and absolutely love it.

The only thing I'm willing to go smaller on at this point is tires, but most 1.95/ 2.1 tires inflate to 2.1/ 2.25 these days... I also really like the look and feel of my 2.4/ 2.24 (actual inflated width) Mainline tires, though.

|

3/27/2019 1:58 PM

I don't know how to post pics but we had frames with luggage racks 'back in the day'. and bars with TWO cross bars....

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/cw_racing/88198

http://www.snakebitebmx.com/tricked-out-tuesday-1984-vector-unlimited-fs/

you kids have no idea what you missed out on. haha

|

3/27/2019 2:43 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Right now I have a fist and change of seatpost, 180 or 185 cranks, 2.1 tires (I think) and NO pegs. Straight cable. Little Devil headtube badge.

But I do agree with some of the statements.

Forgot, I am also on 180mm cranks as well

|

3/27/2019 3:42 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I find the trick order that kids learn in weird. We always used to build up learning one trick, then the next in a line of progression. Every kid out there wants to or can do barspins, non of them can do a nice x up. And they learn tailwhips without getting no footers and no footed tricks dialled. That seems illogical to me.

To be fair, x ups & no footers are wack so I don't blame anyone for not being interested in learning then

|

3/27/2019 4:59 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Swaggy P wrote:

To be fair, x ups & no footers are wack so I don't blame anyone for not being interested in learning then

WHAT?! 360 x-ups look so dope!

|

3/27/2019 5:41 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Swaggy P wrote:

Your whole existence is whack

|

3/27/2019 7:09 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Swaggy P wrote:

You are Wack , x ups and no footers are a blast to do

|

3/27/2019 8:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Swaggy P wrote:

Never been a fan of a straight no footer myself. But a nice x up, or no footed can are amongst the most stylish tricks out there. Just like tables, everyone has their own, and they say a lot about a person's style. The order kids learn tricks just seems illogical. Learning barspins out of a fly out before they can do a one hander comfortably, seems weird to me.

Plus, everyone out there is doing barspins and tailwhips, it's actually refreshing to see a nice clicked x up from time to time

|

3/27/2019 9:28 PM

one footed x-up's are one of the best tricks. ever.

|