PSA: Never Tell Anything to a Cop

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2018 6:57 AM

Posted in Reddit but I'll post it here too.

Me and a buddy were fooling around 2 nights ago on a concrete post that had fallen over, and a cop walked up to us accusing us of taking it down. Blatantly lied and said he "just watched us do it". Their tactic is to get you to confess. Don't EVER do that because they could be talking out their ass, as he was here.

If you're persistent enough, and polite ("I promise I didn't do that, sir") they are likely to let you go even if they're lying sacks of shit.

In general, I think if you're a BMX rider you've gotta rely on street justice or just letting shit go. Never call the cops, because they will never side with a BMX rider.

|

1/18/2018 7:55 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Posted in Reddit but I'll post it here too.

Me and a buddy were fooling around 2 nights ago on a concrete post that had ...more

i remember watching spencers new york video where the cop is talking all kinds of shit and when spencer mentions he has the whole thing on video the cop instantly changes tone

|

Hmmm

1/18/2018 8:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 8:19 AM

Not all cops are shitty people. I've made friends with a few cops that I've met riding street, a few of which were hyped to watch us ride & show us pictures of their old school collections. Even have the number of a bike cop who's willing to chase us around in uniform for video purposes. I've also had cops recognize me and compliment my YouTube channel.

That being said, not all cops are good people either so it's best to just avoid the situation if possible.
Rule #1 is to leave the spot before making eye contact. You see a cop pull up, it's time to go. No time for chit chat, you know why he's there. Don't play stupid, just leave and save him the trouble of getting out of his car.

That doesn't always work, sometimes they will ask you to stay where you are.. Just gotta do what they say & be friendly. It's usually pretty easy to make friends with a cop, given that they're not a total douche. Just remember they are only doing their job. If you don't admit to anything & they didn't see it or have reasonable suspicion to think that you did it, then they have no reason to arrest you. Just don't be rude or be a smart ass, they will make up their own BS reason to arrest you.

I was arrested for 3 days while riding street for the charges of "Vagrancy & Loitering,"

Initially, I had got a clip on this roof (of a vacant building, in a vacant parking lot, with no signs posted,) and somebody had called the cops when they seen me up there on my bike.
Cops pulled up as we were walking away from the spot, literally like 2ft from the sidewalk (friend had a flat or we would have dipped out at this point)
They asked if we were on the roof, we told them no & that we were just crossing through parking lot because of my friends flat tire.
When he asked us where we lived, I informed him that I was homeless at the time (arrestable offence btw.)
We weren't confessing to anything, so the cop got really mad, like red in the face kinda mad. We knew at this moment that he was going to take us to jail no matter what he had to do to make it happen.
So, this POS started relying on using racist remarks towards my friend to stir the pot. The second my friend lashed back (verbally,) he was thrown in cuffs and in the cruiser.
During that time I managed to get my phone out of my pocket and started recording how the cop was treating my friend (I feared for my friends life at this point, the things this cop was saying to him were really messed up..) I was trying to wiggle it just far enough back into my pocket that the camera would still hang out to film.
The cop seen me doing so and slapped me in cuffs, took my phone, went into my gallery & deleted the video (luckily without seeing the clip of me riding off the roof..)
So the cop cussed me out the whole ride to the police station because I continuously asked why I was being arrested & he refused to give me an answer.
When we get to the station, he charges us both with literally the only thing I admitted to, being homeless. Vagrancy. Mind you, my friend wasn't homeless and had given the cop his home address already.. We also got hit with Loitering even though it was a vacant building/parking lot, with no signs posted, no fence, and the fact that we were 2ft from the sidewalk and in motion leaving the property when they pulled up on us..
& when we went to court, the judges laughed at our case and dropped it. They told us basically that we spent 3 days in jail for no reason & that the cop was way out of line.

TLDR;
You can be arrested for "Vagrancy" just for riding bikes with a homeless person. If they want to see you in a jail cell, they will make it happen with or without a legitimate reason. Just be calm & polite, & avoid talking to them if at all possible.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/18/2018 8:47 AM

Edman123 wrote:

i remember watching spencers new york video where the cop is talking all kinds of shit and when spencer mentions he has the ...more

I can vouch for Spencer, and anyone riding in NYC. The NYPD are not your friends. They're not on your side. They're looking, waiting, and wishing for a reason to stop you and give you a hard time. They don't enforce laws. They enforce their moods.

But yeah, don't talk to the police. VERY rarely are they truly looking to help you out.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/18/2018 8:52 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not all cops are shitty people. I've made friends with a few cops that I've met riding street, a few of which were hyped to ...more

Couldn't you recover the deleted footage?

In my country cops are actually ok in this regard.
I mean the real cops, not the local police bullshit that nobody gives 2 farts about, those are assholes but have no real power, you can ride away while verbally fuck their moms laughing

|

1/18/2018 8:55 AM

There were some peices of plywood sitting next to a building so I used them to make a run up for a wall ride because the ground was really rough. The building also happened to be a mosque. Some lady who lived at the house behind it accused me of arson and called the cops. The cops were reasonable. They immediately knew that we were just there to bike and told us to put the wood back.

|

1/18/2018 8:59 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I can vouch for Spencer, and anyone riding in NYC. The NYPD are not your friends. They're not on your side. They're looking, ...more

I think enforcing their mood is a nationwide problem, but it's definitely worse in cities because of the amount of cops..

It's pretty amazing to me the lack of requirements to become an officer of the law. I worked with an ex cop for a little while.. I'd catch him sleeping on the clock, not clocking in/out at appropriately, always had a fucking lump of dip in his lip, would spit the shit on the floors of my shop and all over freaking everywhere.. He would brag about beating people up as a cop and getting to taze people. I could go on for days about how vile of a person the dude was, but what really amazes me is that, once his parole is over, he'll be eligible to become an officer again!

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there should be much higher standards to being an officer. Intelligence and the ability to remain unbiased should be a must. But they'll hand anyone a badge these days..

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/18/2018 9:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 9:11 AM

Yes, if you ever find yourself in serious trouble don't say a single word to the cops. Their training tells them to lie to get you to confess, they do this because they have zero evidence and a confession from you is all they need to add to their arrest quota. If they had the evidence then you would be in handcuffs before a single word was spoken. Just say, "Am I under arrest?" If not, "have a good day" and go on about your business. If you are ever actually arrested then DO NOT SAY A WORD no matter how scared you are, and call a lawyer. You can very well talk yourself into a world of trouble.

|

1/18/2018 9:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 9:46 AM

I think it entirely depends on how you act and are with them when they roll up as well. I have been accused of some stuff (been posted on here before-not diving into it again) and was nearly arrested for being quiet in a friends yard while a homie fixed his bike. Those cops were jerks.

Other times I have been riding with a buddy who was visibly WASTED and they were all friendly and just said "hey you gotta go" on a Halloween night where we got the boot for riding despite a college campus KNOWN for partying less than a mile away. (also a story posted on here) That cop was awesome, and super friendly.

I even had skaters call the cops to get me and some buddies kicked from the local plaza, to have the cops roll up and make sure it wasn't too dark to session. They didn't even care we were riding there.

In my experience, be respectful, don't lie if you can avoid it, and don't be a dick. If you are overly nice it can work WONDERS for you. But again, this depends on where you are. It seems to be VERY location and situation based, also the reason they come rolling up to shut you down.

If they lie to harass you, deny it, but do so politely. I've heard of people asking to see any viable evidence of their claims.

Also research local bike laws and laws about where you can be. There is a bmx dude who shut a cop down by knowing the law better. Just make sure you ABSOLUTELY know it accurately. I've done it with local bike light requirements-Cops get upset when you point out specific statutes and codes and can explain it word for word but legitimately cannot do anything if you are polite about it. Also film them. Legally you can do that (check local laws just to be sure) and if it does NOT hinder their work, they cannot prevent it. If you see things going down, film it and don't get in their way. They cannot stop it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/18/2018 10:23 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I think enforcing their mood is a nationwide problem, but it's definitely worse in cities because of the amount of cops..

...more

Definitely not just you. I used to work in law enforcement and I've seen it firsthand. It's not so much that it's every single damn cop. It's just a lot of them. And the culture actively discourages speaking out against it.

Trying to change policing and police culture from the inside rarely works because of it.

My point is very similar to yours. They need to hold themselves to a higher standard, because they are theoretically being held to a higher standard by society. They SHOULD be better, because they should be here to make things better.

Often times that's not the case. And what sucks to me is the recent trend of police officers responding swiftly and violently when they feel disrespected. Like...look...people can be disrespectful, that's gonna happen. But if you pull out a gun and train it on some douche kid that was doing what ANY teenager would do while getting arrested and end their life? You should've never been given a gun in the first place.

I don't care what your stance on policing is, nobody deserves to die while getting arrested, running from the police, or resisting arrest. Seems like when I was a kid watching cops, they actually chased after people instead of pulling a gun and riddling them with bullets.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/18/2018 10:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 10:36 AM

Just shut your mouth and be respectful, these guys can ruin your life and lose you in the system really easy like. Call a lawyer and stay quiet. I've had cops deliberately move my brother around from county to county to try to make paperwork expire etc, these fuckers are not in it for you. They just want you in the system. Cops are hired to be non thinkers and show it constantly, don't fuck with these dumb asses.

|

1/18/2018 10:41 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Just shut your mouth and be respectful, these guys can ruin your life and lose you in the system really easy like. Call a ...more

Everyone should watch " Making a murderer " on Netflix...

|

1/18/2018 11:02 AM

Ive had so many encounters with police in my short time.

From teens till now.

Been arrested, in jail, etc.
Too many to count driving violations, kicked out of many buildings, property etc. And I still have dealings with police now that I ride street.

Cops can be very nice, they have a job to do and some are not the friendliest. The majority I have encountered have been respectful. Just reciprocate the respect and dont lie. Ime

|

1/18/2018 11:40 AM

Only time I've ever had an encounter with police was when I was bombing a hill with some friends, no helmet, easily doing 30mph keeping up with traffic and being a little too reckless. The cop pulled in front of me way at the bottom of the hill, so I had no choice but to stop when I got there. She chatted with me for a couple minutes, and I was polite and respectful the whole time. Ended up letting me ride away (with my helmet on, I took it out of my bag) but as I was doing so, another cop car pulled up so I got out of there. My buddies and I figured that they would give us trouble and we didn't want to deal with it so we got outta there.

|

1/18/2018 2:09 PM

Cops are literally trained to lie, they will always say, "we know you did this, or we saw you do this" typical cop tactics. They are just as shady as the criminals they bust, and the same type of personality/person. Cops are criminals, that are above the law. It's disgusting. I see them run red lights all the time, turn without signaling, just driving like assholes because they can, etc. They have too much power, and they abuse it, because they got beat on by thier dad, or didn't have a dad. If families stayed together like they used to, there wouldn't be so many angry assholes in the world.

|

1/18/2018 2:26 PM

I always respect cops... I don't agree with all of them, some can be real shady... but in my small town all the cops are pretty cool... I love cops, and when I turn 18 I plan on going into the military for 4 years, get my free college, graduate become a Sheriff... that's my dream job.... I may get hate from you guys, but when I'm a cop, I'm not going to be a dick cop, I'm going to be cool and reasonable. I hope where ever I become a cop, there are BMX riders there I can become friends and be cool with.

Now back on topic lol. But I've only had a few encounters with police, but I'm always respectful and I leave if they ask me to... I always respect them becasue I think this, if my house gets broken into and I call the police, after I take down the intruder of course lol, but if the cop that comes to my house was a cop I was a total dick to, I'd feel terrible... that's just my thinking...

And Tim, you said you had a YouTube channel, do you mind sharing it?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/18/2018 2:37 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I always respect cops... I don't agree with all of them, some can be real shady... but in my small town all the cops are ...more

Capital Crew BMX Videos.

Ironically, the first few b-roll clips in that video are of my friend running from bike cops and ultimately getting arrested.

I filmed every clip that isn't of me & do my own editing. Enjoy.tongue
|

1/18/2018 3:18 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I always respect cops... I don't agree with all of them, some can be real shady... but in my small town all the cops are ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Capital Crew BMX Videos.

Ironically, the first few b-roll clips in that video are of my friend running from bike cops and ...more

Cool thanks! I subbed!

|

1/18/2018 4:08 PM

Ironically, the first few b-roll clips in that video are of my friend running from bike cops and ...more

I've seen that before, wasn't it shared by BMX Union or a similar page? Great video!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/18/2018 4:10 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I've seen that before, wasn't it shared by BMX Union or a similar page? Great video!

Was it??blinkblink

That'd be news to me! Thanks dawg!

|

1/18/2018 4:46 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I respect your desire to join the military and as an ARMY vet I can tell you that your college will not be free. You will receive a monthly payment as long as you maintain a C average and are a full time student (part time students get part time money). Second, the military is mostly for people who don't know what they want to do after highschool and in your case you do. So, you have two options; go to your local community college and persue a criminology degree and do the "Cop training program" or become an MP which I believe is a 6 year commitment. I'm telling you this because this is the advice I gave my cousin when he graduated highschool and now he is doing his dream job of being a "Pig". P.S. FUCK THE POLICE but support the troops, firefighters, EMTs, doctors, ect... #RealHeros.

|

1/18/2018 4:49 PM

Ahhh, the perks of being a devout parkrat.

|

1/18/2018 5:29 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Rubio151 wrote:

I respect your desire to join the military and as an ARMY vet I can tell you that your college will not be free. You will ...more

Ah I see, thats cool, I wanted to be an MP, not sure what branch I want to go into yet though... but that's definatly what I want to do... I'll do some research and double check about the free college, I believe if you go in for a minimum of 4 years you get the free college, I'll do some research though... also I'm still figuring out what kind of college I'll go to... but that will be a couple years so I've got timesmile

|

1/18/2018 5:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 5:32 PM

jbales wrote:

This. Another reason I rarely ride street.... but also, would you like to deal with Security and police, or annoying scooter kids and skaters, hmmm... but at least scooter kids can't get you fined and taken to jail lol

|

1/18/2018 6:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 6:11 PM

jbales wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

This. Another reason I rarely ride street.... but also, would you like to deal with Security and police, or annoying scooter ...more

Well, actually...

Earlier in 2017, me and my friend got up early on a Sunday morning to get to the park before everyone else & film some stuff.

We get there at like 9-10am, and it turns out the place is a freaking playground early in the day.. so we're just kinda coasting around the ramps to get our blood flowing, being mindful of the kids.

I was going to turn around on a quarter pipe when, the second I started to hit transition, this little girl (no older than 7) on a scooter dropped in right in front of me. She basically fell straight on to my front tire as I was coming up the quarter.

So we both ate it pretty bad. By the time I got up and knew what was going on, the girl's (step?)father was in my face trying to fight me. The girl was fine & back on her scooter within seconds, but began crying & begging her dad to stop yelling at me because it was scaring her.

And that's when.. Momma bear, and I mean BEAR, I'm talking bout a big ol woman, blindsides me to the ground. Now she's in my face threatening me & won't let me off the ground.

Now the great thing about all of this.. There was a cop literally across the street doing radar the whole time (#1 reason I didn't whoop both their asses in the first place,) who assumably saw it all unfold. He calls for back up and pulled up to the skatepark.

They talked to them first and told them to leave, so they did. At this point I was just ready to ride my friggin bike, so I was already back to cruising around the park.

One of the cops pulled me to the side and asked that I leave too. Of course I tried to explain what happened & why I should be able to stay, but he wanted me to leave. So, I threw my bike in the back of my van and was getting ready to leave.

Then one of the cops decides to walk up to the window of my van and take a peak in, to see that my friend left his grinder on top of my freaking dash (still pissed about that one.)

So I was thrown in cuffs on the spot and arrested, luckily the cops were cool with my van staying at the skatepark..

$500 bond later (+ ungodly lawyer fees later on down the road...) for paraphernalia that wasn't even mine, and I'm back at the skatepark to pick up my van. So, after everything that had happened, i figured it was time to ride some goddamn bikes. Took my bike out of my van & broke my wrist a couple hours into the session.

Oh and also, I requested to press charges for assault on the woman who tackled me to the ground in front of the cop, but they wouldn't let me since they had already let her leave before even talking to me..

I wish I could make this stuff up. Most unfortunate day of my life most certainly. dizzy

|

1/18/2018 6:09 PM

Brian Blyther is a cop. He can ramp his bike higher than you.....

|

1/18/2018 6:25 PM

Dealt with police internationally. They all suck, the difference is in how they suck. For example, FUCK PROVIDENCE POLICE DEPARTMENT. Back in ‘06 their whole department was full of short-man-complex motherfuckers, probably still the same.

Over here in Thailand, cops are so corrupt that they will turn on each other for bribes. Oh yeah they blatantly accept bribes here. Like the Red Bull heir that killed a cop, but other officers in the department made sure that he got away with it.

|

1/18/2018 7:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 10:12 PM

I can definitely attest that if you're cool/cooperate with the cop(s), they tend to go easier on you. I got out of a fine before just because I was polite while they were taking our information, but the one guy we were with kept rolling his eyes, going "tch" after everything, and was just generally being rude... he ended up with a fine, then bitched and complained wondering why.

the best (worst?) was Summer 2016. my friend and I were riding and some guy got spooked by him making a noise not even directed to him, and this fucker finds us at McDonald's later and stomps on our bikes... well, my friend didn't like that so he went after the guy and I stayed there cause I didn't want any part of that... well, turns out after a bit of running around... somehow he shattered the guys windshield when the guy tried running him over in his car, and he bailed and his bike flew up and hit the windshield. idk, wasn't sure but the guys windshield was definitely shattered haha. so I'm thinking "oh fuck we're going to jail tonight" cause of that. Cops ended up finding us and I'm thinking we're completely fucked even though I had no involvement but I was with him (just not during the windshield breaking stuff) and there's no way they're gonna be cool with who they think just assaulted & broke a dudes windshield. We were calm & cooperative during the whole ordeal, and they didn't even seem budged and even thanked us for being so cooperative.

The next couple months I'm still worrying about it cause it usually takes 3 months for anything to get done about this kind of shit... eventually I do get a subpoena in the mail and I think oh here we fucking go... but, it was actually the other guy who was on trial and we were going to testify that he did indeed stomp on our bikes! He was being charged with harassment and disorderly conduct and had to pay my friend restitution. Somehow my friend got nothing for breaking the dudes windshield, I have no idea how. So we went to court for this and the cop even told us the guy was quite uncooperative with him and the other cops and even changed his story up a few times, as opposed to us who were calm & cooperative who stuck to the single story. So that just goes to show ya. I think if we were defensive or denying it could have been a different story.

I'll follow the story up so no one's left wondering what happened next, if you don't care about that feel free to stop reading... Well, the guy didn't show up so he was issued a warrant and we think that's the end of it... months later I get another subpoena in the mail, he's appealing it. I go to the courthouse which this time is a higher up court, big time stuff. The place they can send you to big bubba's butthole widening service. it was quite overwhelming to be honest. anyway, get into the courtroom we're assigned to and the guy tried playing the victim which the judge shut down immediately. he was there to say "Yes" or "No" but but kept trying to play the victim. judge asked him "Are you the defendant in this case?" he goes "Well uh, no, I uh, actually I wanted to ask you--" judge goes "No, you either are or you aren't, if you aren't, you wouldn't be in that chair." then asked again. guy goes "Well I uh, I think I am but--" judge goes "No, listen, I ask you a question. You respond with yes or no. Now are you the defendant or not?" guy goes "..ye-yeahh, can I ask you a question?" judge shoots him down with a firm "No." then reads the case off, and AGAIN the guy tried playing the victim and the judge belittled him telling him to go take a seat until he's ready to quit wasting everyone's time... he then asked for a continuance so he could afford a lawyer -___- be back in 3 months... so 3 months later, this guy played the victim AGAIN but this time just did the "oh I'm so sick and in pain and can't do this" routine. I was getting pissed cause this was still going on over a year later. guy ended up having an ambulance called cause he was "in immense pain" so the DA just asked if we wanna drop it so we don't have to come back AGAIN. I agreed just cause I didn't wanna be there a 3rd time, but also because if this idiot faked the sickness/pain... well have fun with that ambulance charge as opposed to 2 little fines.

|

1/18/2018 10:10 PM

^^thats a great story, loved reading it. all these tales of crazy adventure make mine sounds like a walk in the park. well, it actually was. but instead of walking in the park i just rode down the street on a bike. no biggie.

|

1/18/2018 10:26 PM

Cops can for sure be dicks and do fucked up shit, but in my experiances, a lot of them are resonable if you are polite. Sometimes they are even just cool people. One time i had just filmed a little roof to roof clip and as i was packing my camera up some cops showed up. They told me some crazy person had called and said i was on a roof with a bike they also said it was obvious that i wasn't on the roof becahse that would be stupid. So i showed them my phones angle of the clip and my friend got this photo while they watched. Photo
They were all stoked! One of them even told me he really wanted to see me do it again but he couldn't let me while he was on duty. They told me to keep killing it but not to get in trouble then i said have a nice day and that was that. Those cops were so cool it actually felt good to get kicked out. Just more proof that not ALL cops are dicks.

A few months ago i had been on a churches roof scouting to see if it was a good spot (best roof spot i've ever found actually.) And as i was leaving i saw an angry looking preist filming me drive away. My van is covered in stickers and sticks out a lot so i decided to just drive straight home incase he called the cops and had them look for me. Right as i get on the highway i notice a cop behind me. No big deal he doesn't even have his lights on so i just kept going. Then i see another cop, and then another, and another. Then all four of them turn their lights on and pull me over. They hid behind their doors and yelled at me to throw my keys out the window, then had me walk towards them backwards with my hands up, then they cuffed and frisked me and searched my van. At this point i was just thinking "holy shit why is this a big deal!?" Then the cops finally tell me i matched the description of a "cat burglar" seen escaping from the roof of a church. I explained i didn't break in or steal anything and i just wanted to ride my bike off the roof and they looked at me like i was the dumbest person they had ever met. They put me in the back of one of their cars until another cop back at the church confirmed nothing was stolen and no damage had been done to the roof. Then the preist told them he wouldn't press trespassing charges if i promissed never to come back to ride my bike off the roof. Idk why the preist told them i was a burglar when nothing was even stolen but whatever. They called my dad because i was only 17 at the time then they let me go. Ultimately it was just a funny situation but it could have ended bad for me if i had resisted or gave them an attitude. Maybe i just get lucky or maybe it's white privilege, but cops are usually pretty nice to me.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop