Pads?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2017 5:10 PM

What are some thoughts on pads? Are they great? Do they look stupid? Are they worth it? Just wondering what you all think about pads. Personaly i like then because they help me to be more confident and commit.

|

6/13/2017 5:25 PM

I rock a helmet 100% of my riding time. Knee pads probably 50% of the time, and gloves maybe 10%. Personally I don't care if someone else thinks pads are lame. They will be hurting and struggling to stand/walk/move when they are in their 30's and I won't.

Who knows...they might even be eating through a straw from a hard slam.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/13/2017 6:25 PM

Helmet, elbow pads, gloves, knee pads, and shin guards here. I couldn't care less what others think about it, and I'll likely never go back. I personally don't feel like they're restraints, especially with the modern, low profile offerings.

|

6/13/2017 8:32 PM

Knee Pads are so worth it , gotta find my shin pads I lost them

|

6/13/2017 10:07 PM

I hate them but they are usefull i use shin knee pad helmet and ankle guard sometimes. They are all kinda uncomfortable for me especially the ankle guard hurts my ankle more then when i dont wear it but i was tired getting shinners twisting my ankle and hitting my head. Im a "heavy" street rider and couldn't give a fuck what people think about pads rather wear them then get hurt, im riding bmx for fun and getting hurt is not fun at all for me

|

6/13/2017 10:08 PM

I wouldnt be riding bmx at a decent level at age 29 if it wasnt for kneepads.

I always wear a helmet too.

|

6/13/2017 10:24 PM

helmet & soccer shin pads here ftw

|

6/14/2017 3:31 AM

I used to ride with only helmet but I hated when I'd hit my knee in some stupid way and get so sore I couldn't ride more that day.
Now I always ride with (soccer) shin pads and knee pads. The Shadow knee pads are slim enough not to be uncomfortable.

The way I look at it is that with pads I'll be able to ride more than I was without them because I'm more likely not to get injured with pads.
For the same reason I always keep an extra rear wheel (with a tyre, pumped up) so that when I get a flat I can just switch and keep riding. I just hated it so much when we'd drive to a skate park and then had to stop riding because of a flat.

|

6/14/2017 8:30 AM

I wore knee, shin and ankle under some jeans especially when learning tailwhips or barspins. but I don't ride in pads anymore. Gotta stay looking fresh in case some bitches roll through the park

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/14/2017 8:44 AM

helmet and volleyball kneepads when I'm doing tall ramps or trying new stuff. I tried the shadow kneepads, they felt super constricting to me. The soft modell's volleyball ones feel way better. probably a little less protection, but better than nothing and very comfortable.

|

6/14/2017 9:19 AM

Nelsdollaz wrote:

helmet and volleyball kneepads when I'm doing tall ramps or trying new stuff. I tried the shadow kneepads, they felt super constricting to me. The soft modell's volleyball ones feel way better. probably a little less protection, but better than nothing and very comfortable.

Which Shadow Pads? I ran the Super Slim (the neoprene ones with the foam and plastic inserts) for several months, and they were crazy tight at first. Now, though, they have stretched out/broken in soooooo much. They are a confusing thing to fit because of that. Incidentally, I no longer run them 'cause the main seam on the left one has almost completely blown out. Same thing with the Fuse pads I bought to replace them. C'mon, pad makers!

|

6/14/2017 9:28 AM

i use knee pads. the shadow invislites. I really don't think they do much for me outside of preventing a scrap or lessening a bang on the knee a tad but i keep using them as they are a nice placebo.

|

6/14/2017 10:26 AM

Have always worn a helmet. Have never worn any other, mostly b/c I forget. I also never wear pads mountain biking, other than the helmet. I have had too many chunks, scrapes, and cuts to worry about it now. It was actually a status symbol back in the day with my group. The more scars, the better...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/14/2017 11:00 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

Which Shadow Pads? I ran the Super Slim (the neoprene ones with the foam and plastic inserts) for several months, and they were crazy tight at first. Now, though, they have stretched out/broken in soooooo much. They are a confusing thing to fit because of that. Incidentally, I no longer run them 'cause the main seam on the left one has almost completely blown out. Same thing with the Fuse pads I bought to replace them. C'mon, pad makers!

Yup, it's the super slims. I got size medium, and they slide on okay, but then I can't bend my knee even, like, 3 inches. Not sure how I'd be able to wear them in enough to get them comfortable. Probably going to sell them on ebay for cheap

|

6/14/2017 11:33 AM

Four wrote:

I wore knee, shin and ankle under some jeans especially when learning tailwhips or barspins. but I don't ride in pads anymore. Gotta stay looking fresh in case some bitches roll through the park

The correct term is ramp tramps, and chances are really good they are underage.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/14/2017 12:14 PM

I've been riding over 20 years and always a helmet and shin/pad combo. My shins are destroyed as it is from the past. And I still ride metal pedals!

|

6/15/2017 5:51 AM

tiho wrote:

helmet & soccer shin pads here ftw

Same with me. Been meaning to pick up some knee pads. Probably go the route of volleyball pads to save some $$.

|

6/15/2017 7:17 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

The correct term is ramp tramps, and chances are really good they are underage.

Ramp tramps or kid's moms are accepted. If she's 16 we good

|

45 refs and counting check profile.