Paint wear down on rims from brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2018 3:14 PM

I have a Gsport rear rim in black and I want brakes for tricks not stopping. Will clear pads wear down the paint or is that only with black pads or and or using the brakes to stop?

|

2/6/2018 3:32 PM

It depends on the rim paint too but as you want to do tricks go for clear pads, black ones are only good to slow you down.

|

2/6/2018 4:36 PM

Clear pads are your best bet. Use them only for fufanuing sub rails and you'll be fine.

|

2/6/2018 7:32 PM

Yeah, I have black break pads and all of the paint on the sides of my rear rim is gone. You can see in my bike check.

|

2/6/2018 7:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2018 8:03 PM

I find if I clean my pads, they wear the rim less. Sometimes Ill get like a rock or dirt from riding in mud stuck on the pads and it will wear down the paint super quick. Check you pads any time you take your wheel off and dig out any small debris with a knife. smile

Helps.

|

2/6/2018 10:43 PM

It's not paint, they're hard anodized. And it will eventually wear no matter what you do

|

2/6/2018 10:56 PM

I figure I'd just polish the side of the rim entirely

|

2/7/2018 12:56 AM

Get chrome rims smile

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/7/2018 7:13 AM

Paint wears quick
Anodizing is better
Hard-Anodizing (Gsport/Odyssey) will take forever to wear if you truly only use your brakes for tricks.

Clear pads are in your best interest due to their stopping power. The sooner the wheel stops, the less "paint" wears off.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx