Painting Rims

Related:
Create New Tag

2/12/2017 1:39 PM

So, for my wheels, I got a odyssey 7ka laced to a demo rotator in black, but the rim is grey, and some random demo front rim with hub..

Ended up getting another 7ka rim with a BSD pro front hub in all black and i want my back rim to be black, not the shitty gray i have..

I got little experience with painting but i get the gist. Do you guys have any tips to paint the rim, and helpers?? What to buy exactly and how much to buy of it? I just want it normal gloss black like the front rim

Thanks for all the help

|

2/12/2017 1:50 PM

From my experience its pretty hard to make a finish look factory with a rattlecan paint job. But you could try polishing it.

Anyway from my experience youll need 1 can each of black primer, black gloss paint and black gloss clearcoat. Do more light layers than fewer heavy ones. I normally go one or two light coats of primer, enough light coats of paint to make it all even, and 1 or 2 coats of clear. Then polish it after. I think it should look fine.

|

2/12/2017 2:07 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

From my experience its pretty hard to make a finish look factory with a rattlecan paint job. But you could try polishing it.

...more

Good advice here, OP, and I'd like to emphasize the importance of light coats. Also, start spraying before you hit the rim! In my experience, rattle cans tend to sneeze paint when you first depress the nozzle dealy.

|

2/12/2017 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2017 2:27 PM

Demolition only makes one rim, just so you know. It's the zero rim. It's a solid rim, unchanged for almost 10 years. I have the same setup. 7ka, and zero rim. I just bought a used 7ka with the chrome flaking, so I'll be painting mine soon as well. Try a Google search. I'm sure this question has been asked millions of times. It's a lot easier to search Google, then to start a new thread.

|

2/12/2017 2:34 PM

Thank u all

|

2/12/2017 3:10 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

...more

One last thing, should i sand the factory grey paint or is it fine to paint over it?

|

2/12/2017 3:26 PM

My buddy had his painted years ago at a body shop he worked at it came out looking good

|

2/12/2017 3:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2017 3:36 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

...more

bmxChuck wrote:

One last thing, should i sand the factory grey paint or is it fine to paint over it?

Is it paint or anodized? If it paint, and it's in good shape you can get some spray paint that's designed to be used on plastic that's two in one paint/primer. Most paints will have trouble sticking, but the paints made for plastic are made for hard to bond to surfaces. You should probably scuff it up a bit anyway with a fine grit sandpaper. I just painted my bike right over a matte color, and it worked great. It was a new frame through.

|

2/12/2017 4:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2017 5:31 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Is it paint or anodized? If it paint, and it's in good shape you can get some spray paint that's designed to be used on ...more

Its a Anodized gray Odyssey 7ka rim, is there any way to get it black

|

2/12/2017 8:26 PM

bmxChuck wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

Is it paint or anodized? If it paint, and it's in good shape you can get some spray paint that's designed to be used on ...more

bmxChuck wrote:

You could try scuffing it up and using that plastic paint, or you could do it right and strip the anodizing off then paint it.

|

2/13/2017 12:23 AM

Either get it powder coated, or do a ratty rattle can job. You won't get paint to stick to it properly no matter how well you do it. Paint simply doesn't stick to alloy very well.
Powder coating will work and probably cost the same by the time you've bought good primer, paint and lacquer.
Or just buy some cheap black spray paint, give it a few coats, and re do it when it chips too much

|

2/13/2017 12:24 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

bmxChuck wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

You could try scuffing it up and using that plastic paint, or you could do it right and strip the anodizing off then paint it. ...more

Stripping the anodizing off won't make any difference at all. It's literally just a colour stained into the top layer of material.

|

2/13/2017 4:27 AM

bmxChuck wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

You could try scuffing it up and using that plastic paint, or you could do it right and strip the anodizing off then paint it. ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Stripping the anodizing off won't make any difference at all. It's literally just a colour stained into the top layer of ...more

The aluminum under the anodizing is way softer, and easier to scuff up

|

2/13/2017 4:39 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Stripping the anodizing off won't make any difference at all. It's literally just a colour stained into the top layer of ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

The aluminum under the anodizing is way softer, and easier to scuff up

So what I'm hearing is I'm basically fucked unless i can get it powder coated ???

|

2/14/2017 10:56 AM

Just lightly scuff the rim spray a light coat of filler primer and than spray a couple coats of colour and a few coats of clear. Call it a day. It won't stay on as long as a powder coat but it should be good to get the colour change that you want

|

2/14/2017 7:39 PM

howzigowin frends lets have a birthday party

|

2/16/2017 2:43 PM

If you run brakes, get it anodized or powdercoated.

If not, sand with very fine grit sandpaper (high numbers), clean the rim, prime it, light sand again, clean it, then spin the wheel and spray thin coats onto the rim. One the final coat is on, several thin layers of clear.

Then be careful about tire installation-and go ride.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura