Painting a raw frame

Related:
Create New Tag

1/27/2017 1:08 PM

I have a Hoffman Bama and the colour is 'raw'. I wanted to paint the frame black but heard you need to raw the frame first so I'm not sure if the frame is actually raw and I can paint it straight or if its just painted raw and have to sand it and then paint it. Thanks
My bike

|

An Indian on a small bike

1/27/2017 1:11 PM

Its probably has a clear lacquer on it so you better sand it before you paint it

|

1/27/2017 1:17 PM

You don't need to sand it, use paint stripper to take the clear coat off (a lot easier, quicker, and probably cheaper. Plus it won't scratch the metal). Then clean it and degrease it. Then primer it, paint it, clear coat it. Follow the instructions on the cans otherwise it'll scratch easily

|

1/27/2017 4:36 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You don't need to sand it, use paint stripper to take the clear coat off (a lot easier, quicker, and probably cheaper. Plus it ...more

I do two coats primer, two-three coats paint, and 5 coats clear (AND DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPEST CRAP PAINT IF YOU WANT IT TO BE DURABLE)

Get ENGINE PAINT from auto parts stores.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/27/2017 9:39 PM

Yeah it most likely has a coat of clear on it, my Sunday did even though it was raw.

Paint stripper will be your best bet. Make sure you clean it all off so there's no dirt or grease anywhere on it, and be sure to tape things off like the bearing seats for the headset & BB, and brake mounts if it has them (or plug the holes if it uses removable ones.)

Follow this guide and it'll come out excellent. I use this for anything I need painted and it always comes out great.

|

1/28/2017 12:50 AM

Why strip a factory paint job?

I'd rough it up and spray right over the top of it, using quality paint.

|

2/3/2017 2:41 AM

Whilst we're on subject of painting a frame, I'm looking to do this myself in my garage but are there any limits to consider in terms of weather? It's not the warmest here but it's not freezing conditions.

|

2/3/2017 3:28 AM

Rusko187 wrote:

Whilst we're on subject of painting a frame, I'm looking to do this myself in my garage but are there any limits to consider ...more

I'd wait for warmer weather personally. Paint doesn't bond as easily in the cold

|

2/3/2017 2:21 PM

Rusko187 wrote:

Whilst we're on subject of painting a frame, I'm looking to do this myself in my garage but are there any limits to consider ...more

Read the can. Cold weather doesn't give great painting conditions.

I try to paint when it is at least 55-60 degrees, ideally 70ish.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/3/2017 7:42 PM

Rusko187 wrote:

I just painted my frame in my basement. 30 degrees is a nice day this time of year. I definitely wouldn't do it outside though.

|