Painting a stem help

Related:
Create New Tag

12/11/2013 9:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2013 9:32 PM

So yeah, I sanded down an anodized Stolen Convict V3 stem and now taping up the areas that aren't supposed to be painted over, like the clamping area and steerer tube. I used duct tape and trimmed it nicely and left tiny open flaps to take it off after finishing painting. My question is will the paint make the tape stick to the stem? Should I take off the tape after the whole entire paintjob is done? Cause trimming the tape and getting it all correctly placed was a real beetch.. And one super important question, most people paint the stem without covering the bolt holes. Should I cover those with something? Oh, and btw, I'm painting with no primer, matte black, and matte finish/clearcoat.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/11/2013 9:21 PM

Don't press the duct tape on. just set it on enough to cover it.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

12/11/2013 9:26 PM

Duct tape is horrible for painting. Make sure your paint is completely dry before attempting to remove the tape, and if it starts to take the paint up with it, use a razor and lightly go around the edges of the tape to minimize that. Also, shitty duct tape may kinda melt due to chemicals in the paint. Masking tape is way better, and worth waiting to get some. The duct tape may also leave a lot of residue behind that using a chemical to remove could mess up your paint job if the paint hasn't cured.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

12/11/2013 9:30 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Duct tape is horrible for painting. Make sure your paint is completely dry before attempting to remove the tape, and if it starts to take the paint up with it, use a razor and lightly go around the edges of the tape to minimize that. Also, shitty duct tape may kinda melt due to chemicals in the paint. Masking tape is way better, and worth waiting to get some. The duct tape may also leave a lot of residue behind that using a chemical to remove could mess up your paint job if the paint hasn't cured.

Will any masking tape work? Cheap masking tape?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

12/11/2013 9:31 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

last part's a huge issue, just go out and get some masking tape

as for the bolt holes, you could just crumple paper towel pieces or toilet paper even, and jam it in there

|

12/11/2013 9:31 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Will any masking tape work? Cheap masking tape?

masking tape is made for painting so yes

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

12/11/2013 9:39 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

masking tape is made for painting so yes

I don't have any at all.. It's either that or regular gloss scotch tape or matte scotch tape.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

12/11/2013 9:39 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

last part's a huge issue, just go out and get some masking tape

as for the bolt holes, you could just crumple paper towel pieces or toilet paper even, and jam it in there

Would the paint make it stick to the stem at all?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

12/11/2013 9:41 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Get blue painters tape ya dummie

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

12/11/2013 9:46 PM

SickDude wrote:

Get blue painters tape ya dummie

I don't have any at all! I had some cheap regular white stuff but it's gone now from the last time I used it..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

12/11/2013 9:47 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

masking tape? it shouldn't, never happened to me. just be careful when removing the tape. the paint will be on the stem & the tape and when you remove the tape, it could grab some of the paint on the stem and remove it so just watch it

|

12/11/2013 9:55 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

masking tape? it shouldn't, never happened to me. just be careful when removing the tape. the paint will be on the stem & the tape and when you remove the tape, it could grab some of the paint on the stem and remove it so just watch it

No, I meant the tissue and stuff. I took some toilet paper and jammed it in with some excess sticking out where I need to pull it out. It's nicely trimmed and everything. And as for the tape, duct tape and big glossy scotch tape is all I've got so yeah.. I pressed the duct tape down pretty hard so hopefully, there's no adhesive or a lot at least. Hopefully, nothing gets super stuck to the stem, otherwise it'd be like freshly painting and then dropping your part onto the ground.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

12/11/2013 9:59 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

No, I meant the tissue and stuff. I took some toilet paper and jammed it in with some excess sticking out where I need to pull it out. It's nicely trimmed and everything. And as for the tape, duct tape and big glossy scotch tape is all I've got so yeah.. I pressed the duct tape down pretty hard so hopefully, there's no adhesive or a lot at least. Hopefully, nothing gets super stuck to the stem, otherwise it'd be like freshly painting and then dropping your part onto the ground.

I don't think it did, but now that I think about it, I think I actually just crumpled up bits of masking tape and sprayed it. I can't remember haha.

|

12/11/2013 10:19 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I don't think it did, but now that I think about it, I think I actually just crumpled up bits of masking tape and sprayed it. I can't remember haha.

So right now, I gotta stick with TP and duct tape, huh.. You think it'll go well with my matte paint?

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

12/11/2013 10:43 PM

Bump, more help guys. I'm gonna paint tomorrow.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

12/11/2013 10:52 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Bump, more help guys. I'm gonna paint tomorrow.

I'd use scotch tape over duct tape.. Masking tape over everything

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/12/2013 5:21 AM

I personally use paper towels for this. Wad up a paper towel and jam it in the steerer clamp, same in the bar clamp, then little wads in the bolt holes.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/12/2013 6:01 AM

I did these last week. You can kind of see the paper towels hanging out. Ive always done this over any tape. It works perfectly for me. I would take the duct tape off asap before it bonds enough to leave sticky shit inside your stem. Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/13/2013 7:02 PM

Yep, came out great, though I left it outside this morning and a bit of frost accumulated so there's a super tiny and faint film of whitish on the faceplate. As for everything else, it's great. The bottom side of the stem is super smooth but everything else has a tiny bit more texture cause I didn't get a super consistent coat. The duct tape worked totally great and so did the toilet paper for plugging up the holes.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update