Painting bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2015 2:32 PM

I am wanting to paint my 2011 norco nail which is silver, its got some paint chips and scratches and surface rust. I was going to paint it with a matte black rattle can, but before i paint it flat black, im not sure if i should are the frame with paint stripper then sand it, or should i just sand it down smooth? Also should i use primer with flat black? Im wondering how many coats of primer and do i have to sand or scuff the primer between coats? If i use clear coat on flat black it will take away the flatness and make it glossy, is there a clear coat that wont do this to flat black?

|

8/12/2015 2:39 PM

Paint strip it to raw, then wipe it down really good get all the residue off then 2 coats of primer and 3-4 coats of paint and I'd do either a matte gloss or gloss clear coat the matte will make it look like factory matte paint and gloss well makes it glossy and about 2 coats of clear

|

8/12/2015 3:40 PM

Find some lava , dip it in the lava should melt the rust back to metal

|

8/12/2015 4:11 PM

just sand it smoothly, wash it and let it air dry. then use Duplicolor Perfect Match auto spray paint.
The rusoliem paint wont look as nice as the Auto paint wink

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

8/12/2015 7:01 PM

for ease of painting... get a pole- about ehh nipple height- +1 foot- make sure it can fit into the seat tube easily but not sloppy-

shove that sucker into the ground and boom now you have a paint stand for your frame. same thing works on forks too.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

8/12/2015 7:03 PM

|

8/29/2015 8:07 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

for ease of painting... get a pole- about ehh nipple height- +1 foot- make sure it can fit into the seat tube easily but not ...more

this, this is incredible! I always put a rope through the headtube and hang the sucker from a clothesline, this would be much better!

To the OP, I wouldn't bother trying to remove all the old paint, it'll likely be FAR more trouble than it's worth. That said, preparation of the surfaces and putting the paint on right (ie multiple thin coats, not a couple goopy/thick coats) is what will make the difference between something that approaches a 'factory finish' and something that was obviously done at home!

|

8/29/2015 8:08 AM

Oh and keep in mind that the glossier of a sheen you use, the more it will show imperfections! I've done tons of bikes in satin and lower-sheened blacks, they always come out really nice smile

|

8/29/2015 9:11 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

for ease of painting... get a pole- about ehh nipple height- +1 foot- make sure it can fit into the seat tube easily but not ...more

Or find some old headset bearings put them in, put a rope through the head tube and hang it from a horizontal beam or tree branch

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/29/2015 9:29 AM

dkTechEthan wrote:

Idk why but when i started reading this i though you were going to tell him to sit on the pole hahaha

|