Painting the frame

Related:
Create New Tag

11/17/2015 5:54 AM

So I painted my frame not long ago and I messed up
I used good quality spray paint i mixed them and got a sick effect but it's weak
It doesn't come off but it also doesn't feel like paint on new frames it's just between
And I want to get the best effectPhoto

|

11/17/2015 5:56 AM

Photo

|

11/17/2015 6:42 AM

Aside from the fucked up seatstay that looks pretty dope!

|

If it ain't broke...

11/17/2015 7:31 AM

Take your time.. even layers.. in my experience, a quality rattle job can be almost as expensive as a powdercoat (depending on the place.)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/17/2015 7:43 AM

I did take my time
It's actually really hard to paint multiple colours
and I painted that like 5 months ago and it scratched alot and started to chip
Now and the paint doesn't feel that good
So what do you recommend what paint.
How to paint it to make it feel really really good and make it last long ?

|

11/17/2015 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2015 7:48 AM

http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/How-To,25/Official-rawing-painting-thread,879148

The only thing I disagree with is I would not buy cheap walmart paint. I would get Krylon or Rustoleom

|

If it ain't broke...

11/17/2015 7:48 AM

ImKritical wrote:

I did take my time

Primer it, sand the primer completely smooth. Very very very light coats every 30-45mins. Leave to dry in the hottest space possible (I hear an oven works wonders if you have one you can use.) And very very light coats of LACQUER clear coat every 30-45mins. Leave to dry for about a week before touching.

This still won't be as quality as a powdercoat, but that's the best way to do it with spray paint.. look into powder

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/17/2015 7:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2015 9:08 AM

ImKritical wrote:

I did take my time

I used an automotive engine paint from a local auto parts store and it is a lot better than the crap from department stores and hardware stores. Even seems to beat the higher end rustoleum and krylon stuff. It was something like 6-7 bucks a can, and handles engine temperatures.

I did multiple thin layers or primer, let fully dry between each coat, then paint, let fully dry between coats, and then did several thin layers of clear that I let fully dry between coats. Took me around 3 days to paint a fork because I took my time, which is always the best option.

ALSO always let it dry for at least 24 hours when finished to let everything fully cure.

OR, paint it, and take it to an autobody shop and ask them to clear it for you when they do their next round of parts.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/17/2015 8:40 AM

I will try that
Thanks for the help I will post results on Saturday

|