Parents Won't Let Me Do BMX Because It's "Too" Dangerous

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2017 5:28 PM

Hi I'm a kid starting BMX. Or, well trying to. BMX is something I'm genuinely interested in as a sport. But here's the twist... my parents say it's too dangerous. And the fact that I broke my thumb on a bike isn't really going to help. I tried explaining to my parents that this was a "dream"... I guess that's how you can put it. I want to be able to ride with my friends, whose parents allow them to do BMX. Apparently my brother did some magic and said he convinced my parents to let me do BMX but I asked my parents about it later and they said my brother never talked to them about it. Any suggestions?

|

8/10/2017 5:44 PM

How old are you? Just say you'll take any safety precautions? Like a helmet, pads, gloves, litterally anything. Just try and be mature and have a proper convo about it and ask what would make them more comfortable letting you bmx.

|

8/10/2017 5:48 PM

show them a sean burns video

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

8/10/2017 5:51 PM

Spenlard wrote:

show them a sean burns video

Lol I literally lold, do not show them a Sean burns video...

|

8/10/2017 6:00 PM

JoshHM wrote:

How old are you? Just say you'll take any safety precautions? Like a helmet, pads, gloves, litterally anything. Just try and ...more

Yeah OP. Its not uncool to wear a helmet and stuff anymore. Tell em youll be smart about it

|

8/10/2017 6:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2017 6:24 PM

Show them guys like Dennis McCoy, who is 50 years old and still riding at a pro level. He wears pads and a helmet when he rides (as we all should, honestly).

Then tell them you will ALWAYS have a helmet on at a minimum, and wear one. Also DO NOT show them videos of pro riders-your skills etc will not be there for some time-usually a few years at a minimum-and them imagining you being 25 feet up from the ground would do the opposite of what you want. Show them kids who are just starting who do 180s on flat ground, and who manual 3 feet. Have the conversation that your skills develop as fast as you let them, and while someday you could be boosting a ramp 25 feet up, chances are good you won't be (at least for a very long time).

TYPICALLY the worst "injury" you would get would be soreness, an occasional bruise, and some scrapes. This is coming from a guy who has over 18 years riding experience. And I have been intentionally upside down on a bike. I've had a few bigger injuries that took a few weeks to heal from, mostly small stuff that I was good in a couple days.

If they say they want you in team sports, show them the carnage that can occur on the fields too. Football players get WRECKED all the time. One wrong landing by another person and your career is over.

Nobody gets out of life alive. We need to do things WE enjoy to not wake up in 40 years bummed we did not try that thing that looked awesome.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/10/2017 6:24 PM

JoshHM wrote:

How old are you? Just say you'll take any safety precautions? Like a helmet, pads, gloves, litterally anything. Just try and ...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

Yeah OP. Its not uncool to wear a helmet and stuff anymore. Tell em youll be smart about it

Really nice to see now, as I've recently come back to bmx and about 8 years ago everyone would rip into you for wearing a helmet. A nice change that kids specifically don't feel out of place being safe! Hell of a lot of life to get through if you mash your brain at say 12!

|

8/10/2017 6:31 PM

JoshHM wrote:

I would prefer not to say my age... but thanks bro helps lot.

|

8/10/2017 6:33 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Show them guys like Dennis McCoy, who is 50 years old and still riding at a pro level. He wears pads and a helmet when he ...more

Thanks bro I appreciate your helpfulness smile

|

8/11/2017 12:51 AM

My dad bought me my first bmx after taking me to backyard jam in 95 and seeing people eat shit..... Sounds like your parents care about you! But in all seriousness, Dave's right, you'll be spending the first year or so just learning how to hop properly and do 180s on flat, you're really not going to wreck yourself unless you force yourself to try things beyond your capabilities

|

8/11/2017 3:05 AM

Try moving out

|

It’s all bmx

8/11/2017 7:48 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My dad bought me my first bmx after taking me to backyard jam in 95 and seeing people eat shit..... Sounds like your parents ...more

True, I'll talk to them about it

|

8/11/2017 7:49 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Try moving out

Haha I'll be homeless... don't wanna do that

|

8/11/2017 9:24 AM

Pretty much everything can be dangerous, it's just how safely you go about it. From driving cars, high school sports, rafting/tubing, I've even seen a friend break a finger bowling. At some point we all do things that risk our safety and our lives there is no way of avoiding it. Just explain to them you will always wear a helmet and ride at your skill level, you could always ask them if you can get a bike don't mention the word bmx and just pick one out.

|

8/11/2017 5:12 PM

Hey guys I'm in the south jersey area... know any good lessons around here? From my knowledge, most local parks don't offer lessons... wondering if u guys know any

|

8/12/2017 9:12 AM

Well I talked to my parents today and my dad who was on my side under some circumstances didn't care anymore and just said that he totally disagrees. And my mom didn't even let me speak she just said no. My parents don't care about poop and only care about time and money. My mom compared me trying bmx like trying to see what it was like jumping of a bridge. I really can't explain the amount of bullshit i have been given. They expect to just go and find a new hobby.

|

8/12/2017 9:42 AM

CookieChris_BMX wrote:

Well I talked to my parents today and my dad who was on my side under some circumstances didn't care anymore and just said ...more

Take up drugs, get really fat, lay around playing nothing but video games all day, and start masturbating all day everyday. That'll show em lmao

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

8/12/2017 9:56 AM

CookieChris_BMX wrote:

Well I talked to my parents today and my dad who was on my side under some circumstances didn't care anymore and just said ...more

GCBMX69 wrote:

Take up drugs, get really fat, lay around playing nothing but video games all day, and start masturbating all day everyday. ...more

Ha, unless I want military school

|

8/12/2017 10:57 AM

Maybe look for a part-time job or go mow lawns abd wash cars without them knowing so you can raise the money yourself and buy a bike and a helmet. They really can't say anything at that point as you worked for your money and bought something you were passionate about.

|

8/12/2017 11:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2017 11:11 AM

Show them things like this and not YouTube videos. Its probably the culture they are afraid of being Asian. I know this sounds wierd but 90% of my clients are Asian and they have some strange hangups from time to time.
http://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/health-benefits-bmx/

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.livestrong.com/amp/article/243931-ride-bmx/

https://synergy-bmx.com/2014/12/benefits-of-bmx/

|

8/12/2017 11:06 AM

CookieChris_BMX wrote:

GCBMX69 wrote:

Take up drugs, get really fat, lay around playing nothing but video games all day, and start masturbating all day everyday. ...more

CookieChris_BMX wrote:

Ha, unless I want military school

Why do you want to waste your time with bmx if your going to go get blown up in the military anyways , get into diy pyrotechnics instead

|

8/12/2017 12:20 PM

Wait so your parents wont let you ride a bike because danger but they will let you join the military.... Wow thats some backwards thinking about danger for sure!

|

8/12/2017 1:48 PM

Getting blown to bits - fine
A bunnyhop on a little bicycle - ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT
Logic ftw

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

8/12/2017 3:17 PM

You need to catch your ma or pa doing something shady that the other one doesn't know about and then blackmail the shit out of them

|

8/12/2017 3:40 PM

I'd go rogue. Outlaw bmx Rider.

|

8/12/2017 3:45 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Maybe look for a part-time job or go mow lawns abd wash cars without them knowing so you can raise the money yourself and buy ...more

I think I'm a bit too young for part time jobs. But me being twelve, my parents think I'm still too young. Thanks for the recommendation tho I'll keep that in the back of my mind

|

8/12/2017 3:46 PM

GCBMX69 wrote:

Getting blown to bits - fine
A bunnyhop on a little bicycle - ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT
Logic ftw

Ikr... Asian parents r crazy

|

8/12/2017 3:46 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'd go rogue. Outlaw bmx Rider.

Hmmmmm... yeah.... jk. But maybe

|

8/12/2017 3:47 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Wait so your parents wont let you ride a bike because danger but they will let you join the military.... Wow thats some ...more

Yep. Craziness

|

8/12/2017 3:50 PM

I feel u guys r trying to get me fat and do drugs ... XD I can't get fat anyways I weighed 65 lb in 4 th grade... and I was a little above average height. Way to fudging skinny

|