Parts Drought

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2020 10:15 PM

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has seen it if you order online. Thanks to COVID places are low on stock. It's to the point where I stocked up on back ups. Even might grab a frame.

I was just wondering if people in other countries are feeling it.

|

10/5/2020 3:13 AM

Its probably a thing down here, but I haven't really had a problem thus far. I don't go through parts very often so I'm definitely guilty of not paying attention.

|

10/5/2020 4:36 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has seen it if you order online. Thanks to COVID places are low on stock. It's to the point where I stocked up on back ups. Even might grab a frame.

I was just wondering if people in other countries are feeling it.

So you're saying you stocked up on backups..

There isn't a parts drought, it's just people like you buying multiple backups.

While you have multiple, some can't buy one, you're part of the problem..

There wasn't a toilet paper shortage either, there was just people buying it all before anyone else could.

|





10/5/2020 5:32 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has seen it if you order online. Thanks to COVID places are low on stock. It's to the point where I stocked up on back ups. Even might grab a frame.

I was just wondering if people in other countries are feeling it.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So you're saying you stocked up on backups..

There isn't a parts drought, it's just people like you buying multiple backups.

While you have multiple, some can't buy one, you're part of the problem..

There wasn't a toilet paper shortage either, there was just people buying it all before anyone else could.

This is Truth.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/5/2020 6:28 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has seen it if you order online. Thanks to COVID places are low on stock. It's to the point where I stocked up on back ups. Even might grab a frame.

I was just wondering if people in other countries are feeling it.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So you're saying you stocked up on backups..

There isn't a parts drought, it's just people like you buying multiple backups.

While you have multiple, some can't buy one, you're part of the problem..

There wasn't a toilet paper shortage either, there was just people buying it all before anyone else could.

... so because I bought extra of things that wear down like grips, pedals, peg sleeves, & an extra tire, I'm the problem? K.

|

10/5/2020 6:33 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has seen it if you order online. Thanks to COVID places are low on stock. It's to the point where I stocked up on back ups. Even might grab a frame.

I was just wondering if people in other countries are feeling it.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So you're saying you stocked up on backups..

There isn't a parts drought, it's just people like you buying multiple backups.

While you have multiple, some can't buy one, you're part of the problem..

There wasn't a toilet paper shortage either, there was just people buying it all before anyone else could.

I'll go along with you there for the most part, especially on the toilet paper. You have idiots filling entire closets, or whatever they are doing with it. It does seem there is a shortage of a lot of bikes and parts, though. It looks like even the completes are in short supply, and I have to doubt people are buying extras of those. I'm not going to yell at anyone for buying some extra parts, especially if it's consumables like grips, tires, and such.

Now if you are filling closets with bike parts like the dummies are doing with TP and cleaning supplies, then, yes you are going overboard and need to chill. If nothing else that would have to get expensive. Hopefully things will be back on track soon enough and we'll all be able to get what we want/ need. I'll be the first to admit I've bought a couple things recently (tires, grips, brake parts, etc) that I don't have an immediate need for just because they were in stock and I wanted to have them on hand.

|

10/5/2020 6:43 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has seen it if you order online. Thanks to COVID places are low on stock. It's to the point where I stocked up on back ups. Even might grab a frame.

I was just wondering if people in other countries are feeling it.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So you're saying you stocked up on backups..

There isn't a parts drought, it's just people like you buying multiple backups.

While you have multiple, some can't buy one, you're part of the problem..

There wasn't a toilet paper shortage either, there was just people buying it all before anyone else could.

upnsmoke wrote:

I'll go along with you there for the most part, especially on the toilet paper. You have idiots filling entire closets, or whatever they are doing with it. It does seem there is a shortage of a lot of bikes and parts, though. It looks like even the completes are in short supply, and I have to doubt people are buying extras of those. I'm not going to yell at anyone for buying some extra parts, especially if it's consumables like grips, tires, and such.

Now if you are filling closets with bike parts like the dummies are doing with TP and cleaning supplies, then, yes you are going overboard and need to chill. If nothing else that would have to get expensive. Hopefully things will be back on track soon enough and we'll all be able to get what we want/ need. I'll be the first to admit I've bought a couple things recently (tires, grips, brake parts, etc) that I don't have an immediate need for just because they were in stock and I wanted to have them on hand.

I just always keep extra on deck just incase I wear down things. I don't have a local shop so I have to order from empire just to get it in a week. I don't want to break shit & be assed out. I don't think anyone is hoarding parts. Shit wouldn't make sense.

Companies have even said due to COVID production on parts has slowed down & shipping to the US costs more now apparently. I was just curious to see how it was in other countries. That's why I'm confused about the hostility from SwampGhost. But fuck it. Is the internet. Lol

|

10/5/2020 7:00 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I just always keep extra on deck just incase I wear down things. I don't have a local shop so I have to order from empire just to get it in a week. I don't want to break shit & be assed out. I don't think anyone is hoarding parts. Shit wouldn't make sense.

Companies have even said due to COVID production on parts has slowed down & shipping to the US costs more now apparently. I was just curious to see how it was in other countries. That's why I'm confused about the hostility from SwampGhost. But fuck it. Is the internet. Lol

I wouldn't necessarily take it as hostility, nor being specifically aimed toward you. If a bunch of people buy multiples of the same part, then it will impact the availability of it. I wouldn't think there are people doing that, but I also didn't think people would start buying toilet paper by the ton, so who knows. It's frustrating for people when they can't get the things they need, especially when the situation could be avoided by people using common sense, being considerate, and exercising some moderation. Unfortunately, we've all seen that is too much to ask of the general population.

As bike parts go, we're in the same boat. I don't have a local store that sells Bmx specific parts, so I buy them mail order. I don't figure there's anything wrong with grabbing a couple spares while I'm paying for shipping anyway. They all eventually get used, and like you say, having some parts on hand can keep you from ending up waiting on the mail while your bike is disabled.

|

10/5/2020 7:05 AM

upnsmoke wrote:

I'll go along with you there for the most part, especially on the toilet paper. You have idiots filling entire closets, or whatever they are doing with it. It does seem there is a shortage of a lot of bikes and parts, though. It looks like even the completes are in short supply, and I have to doubt people are buying extras of those. I'm not going to yell at anyone for buying some extra parts, especially if it's consumables like grips, tires, and such.

Now if you are filling closets with bike parts like the dummies are doing with TP and cleaning supplies, then, yes you are going overboard and need to chill. If nothing else that would have to get expensive. Hopefully things will be back on track soon enough and we'll all be able to get what we want/ need. I'll be the first to admit I've bought a couple things recently (tires, grips, brake parts, etc) that I don't have an immediate need for just because they were in stock and I wanted to have them on hand.

WiteMic wrote:

I just always keep extra on deck just incase I wear down things. I don't have a local shop so I have to order from empire just to get it in a week. I don't want to break shit & be assed out. I don't think anyone is hoarding parts. Shit wouldn't make sense.

Companies have even said due to COVID production on parts has slowed down & shipping to the US costs more now apparently. I was just curious to see how it was in other countries. That's why I'm confused about the hostility from SwampGhost. But fuck it. Is the internet. Lol

upnsmoke wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily take it as hostility, nor being specifically aimed toward you. If a bunch of people buy multiples of the same part, then it will impact the availability of it. I wouldn't think there are people doing that, but I also didn't think people would start buying toilet paper by the ton, so who knows. It's frustrating for people when they can't get the things they need, especially when the situation could be avoided by people using common sense, being considerate, and exercising some moderation. Unfortunately, we've all seen that is too much to ask of the general population.

As bike parts go, we're in the same boat. I don't have a local store that sells Bmx specific parts, so I buy them mail order. I don't figure there's anything wrong with grabbing a couple spares while I'm paying for shipping anyway. They all eventually get used, and like you say, having some parts on hand can keep you from ending up waiting on the mail while your bike is disabled.

I have hope that the bmx community wouldn't do that. Lol.. But I see your point.

|

10/5/2020 7:21 AM

If you are buying tons of stuff you have zero need for because you don't want to be out "for a week", that can be part of the issue. If it is like grips, pegs, pedals etc it's not a big deal, but if you have the cash to drop on like 3 spare wheels, frames, forks etc, then it's BS.

I can also see being in a spot where you have extra cash and KNOW your frame is gonna be replaced "this fall" and dropping on it while you have the cash for it.

But again, moderation.

I don't even have a spare 20" tube right now honestly.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/5/2020 7:28 AM

I believe the shortage is mostly due to the fact that the overwhelming majority of parts (as well as bikes) are made in the same handful of factories in China/Taiwan where restrictions due to COVID have slowed or in some cases even stopped production and/or shipping.

As for people buying spare parts, or “hoarding”, I don’t blame them. My family has always been into the “extreme coupon” thing long before they made a tv show about it. Our entire basement is equipped with a commercial shelving system that is stocked with all manner of food products, cleaning products, health and beauty products, etc. We also keep three deep freezers stocked full of meat/frozen foods, and enough canned goods to feed an army.

Among my other hobbies, I have always been a shooter, and will generally fire several thousands of rounds of various caliber ammunition each year just to keep my skills up and to have a good time. Currently, guys are paying $600.00 for a case of .223/5.56mm ammo to feed their AR-15’s, and I am laughing at the craziness of it all because I had been buying a half case every payday back when a case was still around $250.00. I’ve currently got enough ammo to feed my AR’s, AK’s, lever actions, bolt actions, pistols, revolvers, and shotguns for the rest of my life if I don’t go blasting away a thousand rounds per week. One of my buddies has been selling off some of his ammo stash, and has pocketed over $30,000.00 in the past few weeks doing so.

My point is that you buy cheap when availability and times are good so that you aren’t paying through the nose, or doing without when times get tough. Personally, I’ve probable got somewhere around 1,000 rolls of toilet paper in my basement right now. People don’t have to like it, but my butt isn’t itching. Lol

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/5/2020 7:44 AM

Taiwan shut down for a handful of months - meaning approx. 90% of bike companies could no longer have their products manufactured. Even some of of the other 10% (S&M for example) shut down their manufacturing centers.

And many companies already had products manufactured but they got stuck in either Taiwan or on a boat waiting to clear customs into their destination countries. And then when they finally do make it over, it’s up to the hard working individuals at the distribution centers to get all these products on the market in the midst of answering a million covid-related phone calls and being incredibly under-staffed.

Now Taiwan is back running at about 30% capacity and BMX is probably far from their top priority. And when BMX parts do make it off the line, they still have to make it through the time-consuming process that I mentioned in the paragraph above before they are ready to be purchased by the consumer.


Someone buying an extra pair of heavy-wear parts (grips, pedals, seat, tires, etc.) has very little to do with what’s going on. In fact, if you fancy certain ones of those parts, I would highly recommend doing the same since there’s a slim chance at them getting manufactured again within the time period that it will take for you to wear through your current ones.

And then when that happens, chances are that you’ll be calling up the companies phone asking about when these parts will be available - which only contributes to the madness going on in the industry right now. Which is also why a lot of companies aren’t taking calls anymore and will redirect you to a bike shop for answers.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


10/5/2020 7:44 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I just always keep extra on deck just incase I wear down things. I don't have a local shop so I have to order from empire just to get it in a week. I don't want to break shit & be assed out. I don't think anyone is hoarding parts. Shit wouldn't make sense.

Companies have even said due to COVID production on parts has slowed down & shipping to the US costs more now apparently. I was just curious to see how it was in other countries. That's why I'm confused about the hostility from SwampGhost. But fuck it. Is the internet. Lol

Speak for yourself, I hoard the hell out of bob bars.

|

Come back with a warrant.

10/5/2020 7:58 AM

i don't know about anyone else but i always keep a spare pair of grips in my garage

also why i'm not quick to sell old parts, if my forks break tonight, i have an old pair laying around that could get me by if i can't find a new fork that i really want

|

10/5/2020 8:11 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

If you are buying tons of stuff you have zero need for because you don't want to be out "for a week", that can be part of the issue. If it is like grips, pegs, pedals etc it's not a big deal, but if you have the cash to drop on like 3 spare wheels, frames, forks etc, then it's BS.

I can also see being in a spot where you have extra cash and KNOW your frame is gonna be replaced "this fall" and dropping on it while you have the cash for it.

But again, moderation.

I don't even have a spare 20" tube right now honestly.

I keep tubes & patches. New Orleans streets are a glass pit. And tbh, only reason I want a spare frame is because I'm always scared with my Laird frame. Lol. The tubes are thin, the welds are tiny. I think he did a great job & don't question his craft but I'm use to thick frames, thick welds. It just scares the crap out of me.

|

10/5/2020 8:13 AM

upnsmoke wrote:

I'll go along with you there for the most part, especially on the toilet paper. You have idiots filling entire closets, or whatever they are doing with it. It does seem there is a shortage of a lot of bikes and parts, though. It looks like even the completes are in short supply, and I have to doubt people are buying extras of those. I'm not going to yell at anyone for buying some extra parts, especially if it's consumables like grips, tires, and such.

Now if you are filling closets with bike parts like the dummies are doing with TP and cleaning supplies, then, yes you are going overboard and need to chill. If nothing else that would have to get expensive. Hopefully things will be back on track soon enough and we'll all be able to get what we want/ need. I'll be the first to admit I've bought a couple things recently (tires, grips, brake parts, etc) that I don't have an immediate need for just because they were in stock and I wanted to have them on hand.

WiteMic wrote:

I just always keep extra on deck just incase I wear down things. I don't have a local shop so I have to order from empire just to get it in a week. I don't want to break shit & be assed out. I don't think anyone is hoarding parts. Shit wouldn't make sense.

Companies have even said due to COVID production on parts has slowed down & shipping to the US costs more now apparently. I was just curious to see how it was in other countries. That's why I'm confused about the hostility from SwampGhost. But fuck it. Is the internet. Lol

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

Speak for yourself, I hoard the hell out of bob bars.

If you mean the animal ones, that's technically collecting. Lol. Those fucking things are a collectors item.

|

10/5/2020 8:16 AM

younggotti wrote:

i don't know about anyone else but i always keep a spare pair of grips in my garage

also why i'm not quick to sell old parts, if my forks break tonight, i have an old pair laying around that could get me by if i can't find a new fork that i really want

I usually give old parts that are still functional to friends that need them. My friend Josh got his bike snatched so I sold him my kink titan 2 with some animal parts. I also dropped some old Merritt stuff at the Skatepark for kids that just need parts. But I don't blame you for keeping your stuff. I usually do that too

|

10/5/2020 9:37 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I just always keep extra on deck just incase I wear down things. I don't have a local shop so I have to order from empire just to get it in a week. I don't want to break shit & be assed out. I don't think anyone is hoarding parts. Shit wouldn't make sense.

Companies have even said due to COVID production on parts has slowed down & shipping to the US costs more now apparently. I was just curious to see how it was in other countries. That's why I'm confused about the hostility from SwampGhost. But fuck it. Is the internet. Lol

It just sounded like you stocked up on backups, like ten tubes, four pairs of grips, four sets of pedals etc..

I apologise if that's not the case..

But if everyone is buying a few extra at the same time there is a manufacturing shortage, all the little bit extra adds up to having none for those that just need 1.

|





10/5/2020 9:44 AM

upnsmoke wrote:

I'll go along with you there for the most part, especially on the toilet paper. You have idiots filling entire closets, or whatever they are doing with it. It does seem there is a shortage of a lot of bikes and parts, though. It looks like even the completes are in short supply, and I have to doubt people are buying extras of those. I'm not going to yell at anyone for buying some extra parts, especially if it's consumables like grips, tires, and such.

Now if you are filling closets with bike parts like the dummies are doing with TP and cleaning supplies, then, yes you are going overboard and need to chill. If nothing else that would have to get expensive. Hopefully things will be back on track soon enough and we'll all be able to get what we want/ need. I'll be the first to admit I've bought a couple things recently (tires, grips, brake parts, etc) that I don't have an immediate need for just because they were in stock and I wanted to have them on hand.

WiteMic wrote:

I just always keep extra on deck just incase I wear down things. I don't have a local shop so I have to order from empire just to get it in a week. I don't want to break shit & be assed out. I don't think anyone is hoarding parts. Shit wouldn't make sense.

Companies have even said due to COVID production on parts has slowed down & shipping to the US costs more now apparently. I was just curious to see how it was in other countries. That's why I'm confused about the hostility from SwampGhost. But fuck it. Is the internet. Lol

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

It just sounded like you stocked up on backups, like ten tubes, four pairs of grips, four sets of pedals etc..

I apologise if that's not the case..

But if everyone is buying a few extra at the same time there is a manufacturing shortage, all the little bit extra adds up to having none for those that just need 1.

Nope. I have a back up pair of Ruben 2s that are on my 2 piece bars so I can switch between my 2 & 4s. A pair of Primo Super Tenderizers PC because I do Magic Carpet Grinds, 4 Merritt GFE peg sleeves because all I do is grind, & a Ruben tire because I grind haggard shit.

I do have a shit ton of tubes though because, like I told Dave, New Orleans is just a glass pit because drunks just throw their shit on the ground here.

But I do no hoarding. I just think everyone should have back up especially if there's no local shops.

|

10/5/2020 10:03 AM

WiteMic wrote:

Nope. I have a back up pair of Ruben 2s that are on my 2 piece bars so I can switch between my 2 & 4s. A pair of Primo Super Tenderizers PC because I do Magic Carpet Grinds, 4 Merritt GFE peg sleeves because all I do is grind, & a Ruben tire because I grind haggard shit.

I do have a shit ton of tubes though because, like I told Dave, New Orleans is just a glass pit because drunks just throw their shit on the ground here.

But I do no hoarding. I just think everyone should have back up especially if there's no local shops.

I get the tubes thing in a glass pit.

Have you considered tire liners? Might stretch the length of a tubes life for ya.

Outside of that, I don't have spare stuff because I ride MAYBE 1-2 times a week at a local skate plaza for an hour or so.

I actually might be done for the year because of my knee. I am reaching out to my Doctor today to see if we can figure out what is going on with it. (Swollen in weird spots, pain, random sharp pains inside along with some awful cracks from time to time-if I don't ride for a week + it feels better, then one hour long session and it is back to the same issue). I also cannot crouch to the ground and stand back up because of it.

A short road bike ride made it feel a bit better though.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/5/2020 10:16 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

It just sounded like you stocked up on backups, like ten tubes, four pairs of grips, four sets of pedals etc..

I apologise if that's not the case..

But if everyone is buying a few extra at the same time there is a manufacturing shortage, all the little bit extra adds up to having none for those that just need 1.

Nope that’s me. I have probably 5 tubes, 5 pairs of grips, a bunch of tires and extras of most things. Seeing as all the mail orders are shit (except for Source and their stock is kinda low atm) and I don’t have an lbs that stocks anything I’m not trying to lose a week of riding time over some grips lol.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/5/2020 10:32 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I just always keep extra on deck just incase I wear down things. I don't have a local shop so I have to order from empire just to get it in a week. I don't want to break shit & be assed out. I don't think anyone is hoarding parts. Shit wouldn't make sense.

Companies have even said due to COVID production on parts has slowed down & shipping to the US costs more now apparently. I was just curious to see how it was in other countries. That's why I'm confused about the hostility from SwampGhost. But fuck it. Is the internet. Lol

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

It just sounded like you stocked up on backups, like ten tubes, four pairs of grips, four sets of pedals etc..

I apologise if that's not the case..

But if everyone is buying a few extra at the same time there is a manufacturing shortage, all the little bit extra adds up to having none for those that just need 1.

Four wrote:

Nope that’s me. I have probably 5 tubes, 5 pairs of grips, a bunch of tires and extras of most things. Seeing as all the mail orders are shit (except for Source and their stock is kinda low atm) and I don’t have an lbs that stocks anything I’m not trying to lose a week of riding time over some grips lol.

Do your thing man. Guys get bent because they don’t have what you have. The word for that is called “jealousy”. In a biblical sense it is called “coveting”. Assuming that you work for the things you have, there is no shame in being prepared.

If the world went to hell in a hand basket, the guys complaining about you having more spares on hand than they think you need will be the same ones who believe that you should share your last can of chicken noodle soup with them because they either failed to prepare, or because they didn’t want to work to get their own.

In such a situation, me and mine are well prepared to hold out for a while, and outsiders are not welcome. I am charitable when I see fit, but will not feel bad for those who are either lazy, or careless in taking care of their own business. Stock up on parts, be self-sufficient, and put yourself in a position to keep doing what you want to do when others are left in the dust.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/5/2020 10:52 AM

i haven't noticed any part drought. Complete bikes a few months ago... yes. Parts are out there. Some companies just do a bad job with distribution.

|

10/5/2020 1:28 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

It just sounded like you stocked up on backups, like ten tubes, four pairs of grips, four sets of pedals etc..

I apologise if that's not the case..

But if everyone is buying a few extra at the same time there is a manufacturing shortage, all the little bit extra adds up to having none for those that just need 1.

WiteMic wrote:

Nope. I have a back up pair of Ruben 2s that are on my 2 piece bars so I can switch between my 2 & 4s. A pair of Primo Super Tenderizers PC because I do Magic Carpet Grinds, 4 Merritt GFE peg sleeves because all I do is grind, & a Ruben tire because I grind haggard shit.

I do have a shit ton of tubes though because, like I told Dave, New Orleans is just a glass pit because drunks just throw their shit on the ground here.

But I do no hoarding. I just think everyone should have back up especially if there's no local shops.

dave lawrence wrote:

I get the tubes thing in a glass pit.

Have you considered tire liners? Might stretch the length of a tubes life for ya.

Outside of that, I don't have spare stuff because I ride MAYBE 1-2 times a week at a local skate plaza for an hour or so.

I actually might be done for the year because of my knee. I am reaching out to my Doctor today to see if we can figure out what is going on with it. (Swollen in weird spots, pain, random sharp pains inside along with some awful cracks from time to time-if I don't ride for a week + it feels better, then one hour long session and it is back to the same issue). I also cannot crouch to the ground and stand back up because of it.

A short road bike ride made it feel a bit better though.

Jesus Dave. Get better dude. If you care for some advice JJs company Plantsbasically has a the Juicy Joint drops that help me alot. And Garrett told me to try CBDMD. I would say try some holistical methods along with stretching if you haven't already tried it

|

10/5/2020 4:50 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Do your thing man. Guys get bent because they don’t have what you have. The word for that is called “jealousy”. In a biblical sense it is called “coveting”. Assuming that you work for the things you have, there is no shame in being prepared.

If the world went to hell in a hand basket, the guys complaining about you having more spares on hand than they think you need will be the same ones who believe that you should share your last can of chicken noodle soup with them because they either failed to prepare, or because they didn’t want to work to get their own.

In such a situation, me and mine are well prepared to hold out for a while, and outsiders are not welcome. I am charitable when I see fit, but will not feel bad for those who are either lazy, or careless in taking care of their own business. Stock up on parts, be self-sufficient, and put yourself in a position to keep doing what you want to do when others are left in the dust.

I do not covet anything, nor am I in need, I am truly blessed to all ends and for that, I thank God.

I just spoke up about how the greed (also a sin) of some people, can get in the way of others lives. Not too long ago a kid was posting on here asking if a 16" tube could be used on a 20" wheel because he wanted to ride and couldn't find a 20" tube anywhere.

I just wanted to make sure you weren't confused about where I stand..

<°)))>{

|





10/5/2020 4:59 PM

Four wrote:

Nope that’s me. I have probably 5 tubes, 5 pairs of grips, a bunch of tires and extras of most things. Seeing as all the mail orders are shit (except for Source and their stock is kinda low atm) and I don’t have an lbs that stocks anything I’m not trying to lose a week of riding time over some grips lol.

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Do your thing man. Guys get bent because they don’t have what you have. The word for that is called “jealousy”. In a biblical sense it is called “coveting”. Assuming that you work for the things you have, there is no shame in being prepared.

If the world went to hell in a hand basket, the guys complaining about you having more spares on hand than they think you need will be the same ones who believe that you should share your last can of chicken noodle soup with them because they either failed to prepare, or because they didn’t want to work to get their own.

In such a situation, me and mine are well prepared to hold out for a while, and outsiders are not welcome. I am charitable when I see fit, but will not feel bad for those who are either lazy, or careless in taking care of their own business. Stock up on parts, be self-sufficient, and put yourself in a position to keep doing what you want to do when others are left in the dust.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I do not covet anything, nor am I in need, I am truly blessed to all ends and for that, I thank God.

I just spoke up about how the greed (also a sin) of some people, can get in the way of others lives. Not too long ago a kid was posting on here asking if a 16" tube could be used on a 20" wheel because he wanted to ride and couldn't find a 20" tube anywhere.

I just wanted to make sure you weren't confused about where I stand..

<°)))>{

Not singling you out by any means. I was just letting the guy know that there is no shame in being prepared. There is also something to be said about kindness, and generosity, so rest assured, I would certainly hope that most folks would offer to help a guy out if they have a surplus of something that somebody truly does need. That goes double for helping a “kid”, and especially so if they are willing to buy but simply can’t find a source to buy from.

A lot of times though, I run across attitudes of entitlement in people as though they think that I should buy myself a Hyundai, and get them one too so that we can be equal instead of me rolling the Escalade while they hoof it because they are too lazy to work.

I condone being charitable. Still, I condone being self sufficient and looking out for ones own best interests as well.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/5/2020 5:37 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Do your thing man. Guys get bent because they don’t have what you have. The word for that is called “jealousy”. In a biblical sense it is called “coveting”. Assuming that you work for the things you have, there is no shame in being prepared.

If the world went to hell in a hand basket, the guys complaining about you having more spares on hand than they think you need will be the same ones who believe that you should share your last can of chicken noodle soup with them because they either failed to prepare, or because they didn’t want to work to get their own.

In such a situation, me and mine are well prepared to hold out for a while, and outsiders are not welcome. I am charitable when I see fit, but will not feel bad for those who are either lazy, or careless in taking care of their own business. Stock up on parts, be self-sufficient, and put yourself in a position to keep doing what you want to do when others are left in the dust.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I do not covet anything, nor am I in need, I am truly blessed to all ends and for that, I thank God.

I just spoke up about how the greed (also a sin) of some people, can get in the way of others lives. Not too long ago a kid was posting on here asking if a 16" tube could be used on a 20" wheel because he wanted to ride and couldn't find a 20" tube anywhere.

I just wanted to make sure you weren't confused about where I stand..

<°)))>{

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Not singling you out by any means. I was just letting the guy know that there is no shame in being prepared. There is also something to be said about kindness, and generosity, so rest assured, I would certainly hope that most folks would offer to help a guy out if they have a surplus of something that somebody truly does need. That goes double for helping a “kid”, and especially so if they are willing to buy but simply can’t find a source to buy from.

A lot of times though, I run across attitudes of entitlement in people as though they think that I should buy myself a Hyundai, and get them one too so that we can be equal instead of me rolling the Escalade while they hoof it because they are too lazy to work.

I condone being charitable. Still, I condone being self sufficient and looking out for ones own best interests as well.

Right on man..

Yes nothing wrong with being prepared either..

I'm British SAS trained in wilderness survival, cold weather survival, and certified in vertical rope, river, and ice rescue, CPR, first responder and first aid. I also believe in helping 👍

I can leave civilization if I needed and survive, although not nearly as happy as I would be at outback steakhouse lol..

|





10/6/2020 5:02 AM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Do your thing man. Guys get bent because they don’t have what you have. The word for that is called “jealousy”. In a biblical sense it is called “coveting”. Assuming that you work for the things you have, there is no shame in being prepared.

If the world went to hell in a hand basket, the guys complaining about you having more spares on hand than they think you need will be the same ones who believe that you should share your last can of chicken noodle soup with them because they either failed to prepare, or because they didn’t want to work to get their own.

In such a situation, me and mine are well prepared to hold out for a while, and outsiders are not welcome. I am charitable when I see fit, but will not feel bad for those who are either lazy, or careless in taking care of their own business. Stock up on parts, be self-sufficient, and put yourself in a position to keep doing what you want to do when others are left in the dust.

I don't think I would take it that far.

I'm not jealous, nor do I truly give a shit what that guy has. If a person is doing what happened with TP to bike parts, that is the issue.

With bike parts, it is what it is to some extent. Most of the people on here might have enough to toss a second bike together, with some spare odds and ends. No biggie.

If a person took 30K and dumped it into having half a shops worth of parts RIGHT NOW PURELY out of fear they might not be able to ride a bike for the next 10 years, they pissed away a ton of money and stopped others from riding now-which is pretty shitty. If it hits the fan and the world goes to shit, the guy with tons of extra bike parts isn't gonna be able to do much with them since most people won't be out riding skateparks and ledges-bartering won't do a lot until cars are useless. Tubes and tires would be about the only think people would really "need" VS pegs etc. Even in a world where we have no options for cars (no gas etc due to an apocalypse scenario), road and mountain bikes will be prime due to gears, speed, and comfort for riding more than a few miles at a time. Food/calories will be harder to find for many, so minimal energy use is key.

I know my BMX bike and riding will be the last thing on my mind if the world hits a Mad Maxx scenario.

I do understand having some extras as far as food and other basic toiletries though, at least for a couple weeks to a month of basics. Learning basic hunting/gathering and survival skills is a solid idea too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/6/2020 5:10 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has seen it if you order online. Thanks to COVID places are low on stock. It's to the point where I stocked up on back ups. Even might grab a frame.

I was just wondering if people in other countries are feeling it.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So you're saying you stocked up on backups..

There isn't a parts drought, it's just people like you buying multiple backups.

While you have multiple, some can't buy one, you're part of the problem..

There wasn't a toilet paper shortage either, there was just people buying it all before anyone else could.

Prisoner's dilemma

|

10/7/2020 9:05 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the US has seen it if you order online. Thanks to COVID places are low on stock. It's to the point where I stocked up on back ups. Even might grab a frame.

I was just wondering if people in other countries are feeling it.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So you're saying you stocked up on backups..

There isn't a parts drought, it's just people like you buying multiple backups.

While you have multiple, some can't buy one, you're part of the problem..

There wasn't a toilet paper shortage either, there was just people buying it all before anyone else could.

Facts

|