Parts list for trails wheel set. Thoughts?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/3/2016 10:18 AM

As the title says I'm hoping to build up a new wheel set soon. I ride mostly dirt and park, no pegs, I'm ~145 lbs.
My current set up is a shadow raptor front hub, and an eclat tech in the back with alienation deviant and delinquent rims.
Haven't really had much trouble with the old set yet, except for the back one suddenly breaking a ton of spokes in the last few months, but stuff's getting old and doesn't actually match the rest of my bike anymore so it's time for an upgrade.

My plan is to get a set of deluxe f-4 hubs laced to a sun envy in the front and sun big baller in the back. What do you guys think? Especially about the big baller? I know it's not exactly top of the line, but it seems like a solid option, especially for the price, and I'm being a little ocd and liking that everything matches tongue

|

5/3/2016 11:01 AM

I had a set of Big Ballers in chrome a while back, I liked them, held up to me riding street and park at 250ish lbs.

Unless you are casing everything or landing sidways ALL THE TIME, you should be totally fine. Even then, a truing here or there and you won't have issues.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/3/2016 11:25 AM

I'd go for profile minis, 3/8ths front and rear, and a pair of envy's. Which is what I'll have when I can justify new rims.
Your choice sounds fine though

|

5/3/2016 6:05 PM

Interesting. I am also going down the same road...wanting to build a trails based bike....

right now my first choice combo is Federal Stance XL's (to run 2.4" tires)...laced to Tree Straight Pull hubs.

combo 2 would be same rims with BSD Street Hubs...

still debating and researching if I want the bigger rims. My 2nd choice rims are Odyssey 7KA's; smaller width (and smaller tire size) to allow the bike to be more versatile...to use for street and trails

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/3/2016 6:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/3/2016 7:33 PM

If you want to build a trails bike look into Deluxe BMX if you haven't already. Their stuff is built specifically for just that. I'm hoping to get one of their frames one day.

Those Stance rims look sweet. I'm suddenly tempted...
I don't see why you need narrower tires for street? It seems like it's the street guys who are leading the charge for fat tires.

Yikes that envy is only 28mm wide. That's even worse than my deviant I have right now and it squishes my 2.25. I might have to rethink this... I've always felt like it's overkill running the same rims front and back since the front gets so much less abuse, but all the front rims on the market are so narrow...

|

5/3/2016 8:35 PM

gibson wrote:

If you want to build a trails bike look into Deluxe BMX if you haven't already. Their stuff is built specifically for just ...more

My mind is saying that the narrow rims/tires would weigh less...but probably not enough to make a difference. I am not really a weight-weenie. I want stuff that is going to last mainly. Sort of why I am still searching. Currently, I don't have the $$$$ to build anything, so I still have some time to shop before I commit. Being poor helps you not be impulsive, that's for sure!

I am gonna check out Deluxe as well

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/3/2016 10:37 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Interesting. I am also going down the same road...wanting to build a trails based bike....

right now my first choice combo is ...more

You don't need wide rims to run 2.4s
You also don't need 2.4s

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

5/4/2016 2:04 AM

My friend James Van De Kamp rides for Deluxe and when I ride his bike from the shop the engagement of the hub feels awesome , it's cool because I'm a street rat and he's a shovel buster so we always fuck with eachothers bikes like "I got 4 pegs !" "I can stop though" and it's always fun . Anyways his Deluxe frame and wheelset always feel dialed , definitely quality for sure . Seen him downside whip a fat hip and land a bit off and everything was good still . He's like the coolest guy I know

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/4/2016 5:56 AM

If you can, go Tree hubs and G Sport rims. Been running that for 2 years no problems. Avoid wide rims, Ribcage doesn't count. Wide rims are weaker AND heavier (Wider rims aren't inherently bad, it's just that every wide rim on the market is pretty poorly designed). Rim width also doesn't matter when it comes to tires. Marketing bullshit.

Deluxe hubs to Sun rims are a great option as well.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/4/2016 7:10 AM

Tires:

2.4 tires both on front and rear are not really necessary for trails unless you case every landing and need a soft squishy landing as if you had 10 inches of suspension travel.

A good medium are 2.3s like the Kink Lyras, they grip and roll quite well on dirt. Other than that the S&M Mainlines in 2.425 in front for the squishiness is not bad either. That's my current setup, and it works quite fine.

On dusty dirt (in corners or when you are too lazy to water the jumps), you do need to lower a bit of pressure or go for bigger tires. Side-to-side grip is something you want in the front, and front-rear grip, coupled with low rolling resistance, for the rear.

Rims:

The weight of the rims are not too important, but their strength is (landing sideways is the killer). If you rims are too skinny, sideway landings can force the tire out. Wider rims are better than skinner ones for trails. Aerodynamic rims can help you (a tiny little bit)-the sided ones tend to give more resistance in side-tricks (like nac-nacs, moto whips). It may look like a small surface, but if you calculate it and add it up, it's as if you had a shark fin the size of your foot sticking out of your ass.

Brakes:

Brakes are a must for trails. If you chicken out and decide not to go for it, brakes can prevent you knocking your teeth on a tree. Also if you have too much speed out of a landing and don't want to land flat.

Rear hub:

The rear hub needs to engage fast if the trails are a bit ''technical''. If it is fast and has a great flow, then it isn't as important... Casing a landing is the worst thing in the world as your balls can get bruised and you will have to rebuild that smooth lip you spent hours working on.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/4/2016 8:36 AM

The rear hub doesn't need to engage quickly, pedalling between jumps is cheating and banable :p
You also don't need strong rims, if you case badly you'll get a red card so having a broken wheel won't matter.
I've never really got into this whole wide tyres thing. I run a 2.10 mainline on the front and a 2.1 fit faf on the rear. I wouldn't really want any wider, but it's a personal preference thing. I rode wide tyres for a while (2.3 fit faf's I think?) and they made my whole bike feel sluggish and unresponsive, even at a higher pressure than I'd normally run.

|

5/4/2016 9:26 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

right now my first choice combo is ...more

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

You don't need wide rims to run 2.4s
You also don't need 2.4s

yeah. that is the debate I am going through right now. Do I really need the 2.4's to successfully ride trails. I guess the answer could be no since I have rode trails all my life without them, but I though maybe there would be some new "magic" by going to that size...40mm rims seem way big though...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/4/2016 11:18 AM

Chris king hubs

|

It’s all bmx

5/4/2016 12:15 PM

I think I'll probably upgrade the rims to an Odyssey Aerospace and a Hazard Lite. G-Sports would be awesome, but I can't justify paying $90 each.

|

5/4/2016 12:25 PM

gibson wrote:

I think I'll probably upgrade the rims to an Odyssey Aerospace and a Hazard Lite. G-Sports would be awesome, but I can't ...more

Odyssey has gsport rims in green for 25 on their website

|

It’s all bmx

5/4/2016 7:49 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

If you can, go Tree hubs and G Sport rims. Been running that for 2 years no problems. Avoid wide rims, Ribcage doesn't count. ...more

are you running the straight pull Tree's? I am possibly looking at those for a custom build...laced to Odsy 7Ka's most likely...

off topic, where do u ride in C-bus?

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

5/4/2016 8:22 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

What? where?? Are you trolling me? I don't see any rims in their store..

|

5/5/2016 1:57 AM

gibson wrote:

I think I'll probably upgrade the rims to an Odyssey Aerospace and a Hazard Lite. G-Sports would be awesome, but I can't ...more

adamnmexican wrote:

gibson wrote:

They aren't there

|

5/5/2016 4:02 AM

If you want fat tires for trails?
Check out Animal MTT
Now that's a fat tire

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

5/5/2016 12:01 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

gibson wrote:

Robby-Joe_Douglas wrote:

They aren't there

http://store.odysseybmx.com/collections/odyssey/products/gsport-rollcage-rim-army-green

|

It’s all bmx

5/5/2016 1:27 PM

gibson wrote:

Wow fail on my part! I didn't notice the throwback section. Thanks for the tip I just ordered a pair! w00t

|