Pedal Grip Recommendations?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2020 5:30 AM

Just started racing BMX again. I have been riding MTB for the last 20 years and always have been clipless. Now, I have to be on platforms for now and having grip issues. Granted, I am using some old GT platforms and crossfit shoes... so its not like I am expecting much. I will go clipless as soon as I move to intermediate, so I don't want to spend a fortune right now.

Planning on just getting some Vans, but anyone have any recommendations for a good budget friendly platform?

|

7/27/2020 6:10 AM

buy a pair of 5-10 shoes... then use any pedal you want.

|

7/27/2020 7:34 AM

I've got shadow pedals and a normal set of vans. I like the combo. I forget the name of the pedals but they're kind of thin, but flat, and have checkering besides the pins. Next pair of vans I will try pros just cuz the sole is thicker. But they are my favorite pair of shoes after they broke into my foot. It's weird I didn't think I'd like them when I first got them cuz the sole is kind of flat, but it's like they are custom made for my feet now. LOL.

Photo

Photo

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/27/2020 10:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2020 11:37 AM

A good shoe with any pedals from a reputable BMX company today will be fine.

EDIT: But if you wanna go a little overboard like I did, I’ve got Larry Edgar’s signature Vans, and Alston BMX Racing pedals. Extremely grippy, haven’t slipped a foot in a very long time.

Photo
Photo

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/27/2020 11:33 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I've got shadow pedals and a normal set of vans. I like the combo. I forget the name of the pedals but they're kind of thin, but flat, and have checkering besides the pins. Next pair of vans I will try pros just cuz the sole is thicker. But they are my favorite pair of shoes after they broke into my foot. It's weird I didn't think I'd like them when I first got them cuz the sole is kind of flat, but it's like they are custom made for my feet now. LOL.

Photo

Photo

These are shadow surface pedals, and they are indeed grippy for PC pedals!

|

7/27/2020 11:57 AM

|

7/27/2020 12:00 PM

I actually just tried out the Alienation foothold. They are crazy light and the grip is insane (it actually has torn up the bottom of my Vans). I switched back to my Eclat AKs though because they just felt like a more stable platform...It felt like the Alebatuon pedals flexed during setups and landings.

I am now sticking with the AKs...just as grippy but may not be the best choice is you want something light.

|

7/27/2020 2:35 PM

I have small pedals right now but am getting ready to upgrade.

It definitely helps matters that I'm wearing some undersized and old school shoes that I've had for ages now.

Photo

|

7/27/2020 5:54 PM

I right now I have deco pedals and vans pro BMX shoes and it’s super grippy. Og Odyssey twisted pedals have lots o pins too and have always worked for me

|

7/27/2020 6:31 PM

I used to use Welgo magnesiums those things were grip monsters.

|

7/27/2020 6:32 PM

But now I like plastics because, strong, cheap, light and actually are friends with my shins.

|

7/28/2020 1:03 AM

Odyssey twisted pros and skate shoes did great for me last season, and the price is pretty reasonable. I’m hoping to get back to racing soon this season, but Covid has made registration and stuff weird. If the weather holds up I’m going to try to get registered for this weekend.

Obviously nothing will beat clipless pedals for grip, so if you are used to that anything else will probably feel a little inferior. that being said, I only ever use flat pedals myself because it is what I’m used to. As long as I get my feet positioned where I need them at the start I don’t feel the flat pedals to be too much of a hindrance.

|