Pedals with more grip?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/8/2018 10:14 PM

The other day i rode a friends mtb that had platform pedals that locked me completely in place. They were metal pedals but even the metal pedals i have had in the past i could twist my foot easily if i wanted to. I currently have plastic stolen thermalite pedals and always wear vans. What pedals can i get that will lock my feet into place better?

|

2/8/2018 10:17 PM

raspberrytea wrote:

The other day i rode a friends mtb that had platform pedals that locked me completely in place. They were metal pedals but even the metal pedals i have had in the past i could twist my foot easily if i wanted to. I currently have plastic stolen thermalite pedals and always wear vans. What pedals can i get that will lock my feet into place better?

Aluminum grandstands are the grippiest decent priced pedals Ive ever felt. You lock in like no other.

|

2/8/2018 11:01 PM

raspberrytea wrote:

The other day i rode a friends mtb that had platform pedals that locked me completely in place. They were metal pedals but even the metal pedals i have had in the past i could twist my foot easily if i wanted to. I currently have plastic stolen thermalite pedals and always wear vans. What pedals can i get that will lock my feet into place better?

Bulletpup wrote:

Aluminum grandstands are the grippiest decent priced pedals Ive ever felt. You lock in like no other.

They’re trash imo

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/8/2018 11:06 PM

raspberrytea wrote:

The other day i rode a friends mtb that had platform pedals that locked me completely in place. They were metal pedals but even the metal pedals i have had in the past i could twist my foot easily if i wanted to. I currently have plastic stolen thermalite pedals and always wear vans. What pedals can i get that will lock my feet into place better?

Bulletpup wrote:

Aluminum grandstands are the grippiest decent priced pedals Ive ever felt. You lock in like no other.

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

They’re trash imo

Why do you say they are trash? They are inexpensive and grip very well ime.

|

2/8/2018 11:25 PM

Mountain bike pedals with the screw in pins will be much grippier, a pair of superstars or Nukeproof EVO 2's will give you that same locked in feel

|

Hmmm

2/8/2018 11:48 PM

Fly Ruben's
Although personally I like to be able to move my feet around a bit

|

2/9/2018 2:39 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Mountain bike pedals with the screw in pins will be much grippier, a pair of superstars or Nukeproof EVO 2's will give you that same locked in feel

This.
Although I highly recommend you don't use them, they will fuck you up.laughing

|

2/9/2018 2:43 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Fly Ruben's
Although personally I like to be able to move my feet around a bit

And this!
One of the grippiest and smoothest pedals I've ridden.

Also, BDS Safari looks like a grippy pedal.

But, your shoes will have a bigger impact on how well you grip.

|

2/9/2018 5:09 AM

I LOVED my alloy Animal Hamiltons for a long time. They have migrated to my MTB for winter-come summed it is clipless life.

The BMX has PC Grandstands, I like em. After a year or so they have developed a little play, but I expect that with bearingless pedals. I have popped em apart and tossed a little grease in there and reassembled em. I'll snug em up and run em for a bit longer. Next set I am going to try Twisted Pros I think.

I HAVE considered going back to alloys.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/9/2018 6:57 AM

These:

Photo

Plus These:

Photo

Glued to the bike.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/9/2018 7:20 AM

I can understand somebody wanting a decently grippy set of pedals but to me, it seems like a bad idea to be too stuck to the bike. What happens when you need to ditch(loopouts, etc.)? MTB pedals are as grippy as they are because of the bumpiness of tracks, rock gardens, big rooty sections, etc. There aren't too many situations in MTB where it's beneficial to be able to ditch quickly because, for the most part, you can bulldoze through anything. On a BMX, you're dealing with spins, flips, all kinds of things that you could have to bail from at any point that could injure you badly if you can't ditch when you need to. Just my 2 cents...

The Nukeproof Electron pedals held up very well for a friend if you're really interested in MTB pedals and want something that won't snap on the first crankarm grind or the first time it hits a ledge.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/9/2018 7:37 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I can understand somebody wanting a decently grippy set of pedals but to me, it seems like a bad idea to be too stuck to the bike. What happens when you need to ditch(loopouts, etc.)? MTB pedals are as grippy as they are because of the bumpiness of tracks, rock gardens, big rooty sections, etc. There aren't too many situations in MTB where it's beneficial to be able to ditch quickly because, for the most part, you can bulldoze through anything. On a BMX, you're dealing with spins, flips, all kinds of things that you could have to bail from at any point that could injure you badly if you can't ditch when you need to. Just my 2 cents...

The Nukeproof Electron pedals held up very well for a friend if you're really interested in MTB pedals and want something that won't snap on the first crankarm grind or the first time it hits a ledge.

Yeah, there's definitely a risk for sure. But...we risk life and limb every time we go out on our bikes anyway.

In only a couple short sessions I've been able to adjust to the fact that my feet MAY not come off when I want them to. But that's worth it because I know my feet won't come off by accident, when I really don't want them to.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/9/2018 7:43 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I can understand somebody wanting a decently grippy set of pedals but to me, it seems like a bad idea to be too stuck to the bike. What happens when you need to ditch(loopouts, etc.)? MTB pedals are as grippy as they are because of the bumpiness of tracks, rock gardens, big rooty sections, etc. There aren't too many situations in MTB where it's beneficial to be able to ditch quickly because, for the most part, you can bulldoze through anything. On a BMX, you're dealing with spins, flips, all kinds of things that you could have to bail from at any point that could injure you badly if you can't ditch when you need to. Just my 2 cents...

The Nukeproof Electron pedals held up very well for a friend if you're really interested in MTB pedals and want something that won't snap on the first crankarm grind or the first time it hits a ledge.

Holy Shit THIS! I'm trying to learn fakie Manuals with some new Thermalite pedals-When I go to catch myself when I rollout and my shoe won't come off the pins(like it catches), I bust my ass every time.

|

2/9/2018 7:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2018 8:03 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Yeah, there's definitely a risk for sure. But...we risk life and limb every time we go out on our bikes anyway.

In only a couple short sessions I've been able to adjust to the fact that my feet MAY not come off when I want them to. But that's worth it because I know my feet won't come off by accident, when I really don't want them to.

Why increase the risk? I don't know about you but if I know I'm under/over-rotating a big 3 or a flip or anything of the sort, I'd rather be able to ditch the bike and possibly come out of it in better shape than be stuck on and just know I'm getting injured and can do nothing about it for the entire time I'm heading towards the ground.

I'd say there's a good amount of grip and there's too much. I like knowing my feet won't come off accidentally too, especially due to how often it rains here but I have had pedals that I just stuck to in the past(worn out plastics with DIY metal pins) and it was horrible; I've never been injured so badly, so many times in a row as when I had those. I couldn't bail when I needed to and ended up injured again and again for 4-6 weeks at a time until I got rid of them. I'd always recommend the JCPCs to anyone; they have the perfect amount of grip(which is adjustable) and you won't be too stuck to them when it comes time that you need to bail.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/9/2018 8:17 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

These:

Photo

Plus These:

Photo

Glued to the bike.

Until the glue rips and the shoe falls apart in like a month, leaving you with that pedal in your heel.

Source: I rode in Vans on PCs, and the sole and sides split apart pretty fast. Glued a couple times.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/9/2018 8:20 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I can understand somebody wanting a decently grippy set of pedals but to me, it seems like a bad idea to be too stuck to the bike. What happens when you need to ditch(loopouts, etc.)? MTB pedals are as grippy as they are because of the bumpiness of tracks, rock gardens, big rooty sections, etc. There aren't too many situations in MTB where it's beneficial to be able to ditch quickly because, for the most part, you can bulldoze through anything. On a BMX, you're dealing with spins, flips, all kinds of things that you could have to bail from at any point that could injure you badly if you can't ditch when you need to. Just my 2 cents...

The Nukeproof Electron pedals held up very well for a friend if you're really interested in MTB pedals and want something that won't snap on the first crankarm grind or the first time it hits a ledge.

This, there is a balance point. Too much grip = bad, not enough = bad.

BUT if you ride in slick conditions (snow, rain etc, even dust) you increase the slippage risk.

Run shin guards and you don't have to worry about shinners as much. Try to keep your pedals and shoes as dry as you can, and if not, make sure you have decent pins.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/9/2018 8:26 AM

This is kinda where I split off and basically say that I'm doing what's best for me. I hate slipping pedals, and I'd rather be conscious of needing to get my feet off instead of accidentally landing half off a pedal and smashing my chin into my bars.

To each his own.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/9/2018 9:58 AM

I’ve always run gripper pedals, since i first started riding. My plastics got beat to shit in about a month, so I upgraded to Stolen Throttle Sealed pedals. Those things worked for a dream for about a year and a half, and still going strong on another bike! I wanted a change of pace so I got Odyssey OGPC’s instead.

I always take comfort in knowing that my feet will stay on my pedals, AND that they can come off in an emergency. I’ve never had an issue with bailing on grippy pedals. Sure, you might destroy your shins, but slipping a pedal is a hell of a lot less likely on grippy metal pedals.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

2/9/2018 10:28 AM

raspberrytea wrote:

The other day i rode a friends mtb that had platform pedals that locked me completely in place. They were metal pedals but even the metal pedals i have had in the past i could twist my foot easily if i wanted to. I currently have plastic stolen thermalite pedals and always wear vans. What pedals can i get that will lock my feet into place better?

Stolen sp pedals have plastic and metal knobs..i like them a lot. Cheaper than other pedals too

|

2/9/2018 10:32 AM

I had a pair of VANS that had a reverse waffle sole and it was the worst for bailing.. My feet would not come off the pedals. The reverse waffle completely locked me in.

|

2/9/2018 10:46 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I’ve always run gripper pedals, since i first started riding. My plastics got beat to shit in about a month, so I upgraded to Stolen Throttle Sealed pedals. Those things worked for a dream for about a year and a half, and still going strong on another bike! I wanted a change of pace so I got Odyssey OGPC’s instead.

I always take comfort in knowing that my feet will stay on my pedals, AND that they can come off in an emergency. I’ve never had an issue with bailing on grippy pedals. Sure, you might destroy your shins, but slipping a pedal is a hell of a lot less likely on grippy metal pedals.

Yep. I don't have years of riding super grippy pedal/shoe combos experience, but I feel so much more planted and in control when I'm locked onto the bike. Have yet to have an "oh shit!" moment.

I've already taken a pin to the shin, but I wear shin/knee/ankle guards so I'm not too worried.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/9/2018 10:48 AM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

I had a pair of VANS that had a reverse waffle sole and it was the worst for bailing.. My feet would not come off the pedals. The reverse waffle completely locked me in.

That's one reason I don't like metal pedals. I like plastics with the grub screws so I can run the metal really low so it only grips better when your weight is on them..i had so dc shoes with similar grip yo vans and I've literally came out of my shoes bailing on 180s because the shoe stuck

|

2/9/2018 11:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2018 11:47 AM

I will say...the reason why my right foot is fucked up and needs surgery to repair, is because of pedals with TOO much grip.

I replaced my long pedal screws with some shorter ones so I can bail if I need to.

You can also just file down whatever ones come with whatever pedals you choose if they are too long.

|

2/9/2018 4:09 PM

Odyssey JC pc with the pins fully extended x vans shoes.
Sticking like shit to a blanket

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

2/9/2018 7:11 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

These:

Photo

Plus These:

Photo

Glued to the bike.

Flip the pins over so they are all on the same side.

|

2/10/2018 10:33 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

Holy Shit THIS! I'm trying to learn fakie Manuals with some new Thermalite pedals-When I go to catch myself when I rollout and my shoe won't come off the pins(like it catches), I bust my ass every time.

Lmao is that Aleister Crowley in your picture and do what thou will Quote? :D

|

2/11/2018 6:29 AM

Shadow Ravager Alloys plus Vans is like glue. Readjusting once I'm on is kind of a bitch and has totally led to me eating it a few times but I never slip.

|





2/12/2018 3:15 AM

Photo

|

It’s all bmx

2/12/2018 12:40 PM

To add to the Safari pedal...

They were marketed as a pedal that keeps its knobs intact after impact.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

2/13/2018 6:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2018 6:16 AM

I ride pro classics (vans) and BSD safari pedals. This combo seems pretty solid. I will say that it grips a little too good at times. I have a line where I drop in and immediately have to hop to an up-rail and I have been in a situation where I drop in with the wrong pedal contact and cant shift my foot at all. A little weird to hop with half a pedal but better that than shinners every day.
P.S. I have had terrible luck with Vans coming apart lately but I still think that there is nothing that grips like them.

|