Peg Wobble

Related:
Create New Tag

11/9/2018 1:27 AM

I'm sure this is going to turn out to be a really stupid question but go easy on me or I shall show you what my boots endowed with the spirit of 76 are like!

So basically I have a bit of wobble on my front pegs, it's a united supreme female front wheel (only about 4 months old) and BSD Rude Tube LT pegs (1 month old). When I first started using these pegs there was no issue and then after a while the right hand peg developed a slight wobble, I swapped it with the one on the left as I use my front left a lot less than my front right and again after a while the same started happening despite the axle bolts being fully tight.

As far as I can tell the axle bolts look to be in perfect condition and it seems like it's just the pegs moving whilst the bolt stays still. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem could be? It doesn't really bother me too much to ride with them like this but I thought I had better check what the problem could be just in case it could be something serious.

inb4 "hurr durr just ride pegless"

|

11/9/2018 1:36 AM

I never seen a peg wobble in my life Get a video man, I don't get it. Are you sure you've the right sized peg or spacer?

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/9/2018 1:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2018 1:51 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I never seen a peg wobble in my life Get a video man, I don't get it. Are you sure you've the right sized peg or spacer?

Me neither It should be all the right size because I remember ordering 10's for the front and they fit nice and snug when I first put them on, it was only after a while that they started moving a bit. It seems like when you haven't fully tightened your bolts yet and then pegs move a bit, except they are pretty much as tight as they can go and the bolt isn't moving, just the peg itself haha

Obviously that would make it seem like the peg is the wrong size but like I said, the thing that is throwing me off is the fact that they were fine when I first put them on. Also I've noticed that you can rotate the sleeves really easily on the front pegs, I don't know if that could be related?

|

11/9/2018 2:22 AM

How do they sit against the dropout? Are they sitting partially on a weld or something? That is quite weird!

|

11/9/2018 3:06 AM

Just something that crossed my mind, but could it be a mix of a slightly oversized sleeve/undersized core and the part of the core that sits against the frame/fork being a bit too "deep" compared to the sleeve? As in the metal core sits well on the frame/fork but there is a slight gap between the plastic and the frame/fork.

|

11/9/2018 4:21 AM

I have a really easy and predictable solution for this........

|

11/9/2018 4:23 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I have a really easy and predictable solution for this........

Add more pegs?

|

11/9/2018 4:31 AM

Hurr durr go pegless

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/9/2018 4:32 AM

Rabbe wrote:

Just something that crossed my mind, but could it be a mix of a slightly oversized sleeve/undersized core and the part of the core that sits against the frame/fork being a bit too "deep" compared to the sleeve? As in the metal core sits well on the frame/fork but there is a slight gap between the plastic and the frame/fork.

I agree with this. Just get metal pegs lol

|

11/9/2018 4:35 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Hurr durr go pegless

JAKE I SAID "inb4"

|

11/9/2018 4:44 AM

|

11/9/2018 6:32 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Hurr durr go pegless

RumHam wrote:

JAKE I SAID "inb4"

That's why I said it

|

11/9/2018 6:52 AM

Get yourself some Primo Stiffies

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

11/9/2018 7:54 AM

He told me he's sorted it. He has glued the peg on.... should be fine.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/9/2018 8:00 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I did sort it, but I don't really want to tell you all how because it's arguably more dumb that gluing the pegs (and no, as Matt suggested on text I didn't just need to tighten the bolts haha)
|

11/9/2018 8:07 AM

RumHam wrote: I did sort it, but I don't really want to tell you all how because it's arguably more dumb that gluing the pegs (and no, as Matt suggested on text I didn't just need to tighten the bolts haha)

Please share, all MacGyver solutions are worth sharing

|

11/9/2018 8:10 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

RumHam wrote: I did sort it, but I don't really want to tell you all how because it's arguably more dumb that gluing the pegs (and no, as Matt suggested on text I didn't just need to tighten the bolts haha)

Rabbe wrote:

Please share, all MacGyver solutions are worth sharing

Not even a macgyver solution, just an error on my part haha. Basically the reason they were wobbling was because I had washers between the pegs and the forks so they weren't sitting flush so once I got rid of the washers it was fine. I'm sure this is probably really stupid but I've just always used washers and never had an issue until these particular pegs/forks

|

11/9/2018 8:19 AM

I was gonna say washers...

|

11/9/2018 8:34 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Get yourself some Primo Stiffies

I had a set of those!!

|

11/9/2018 9:01 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I had a set of those!!

The wife still does!
[img]https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnoq-DgnmBj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link[/img]

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

11/9/2018 10:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2018 10:52 AM

RumHam wrote:

I'm sure this is going to turn out to be a really stupid question but go easy on me or I shall show you what my boots endowed with the spirit of 76 are like!

So basically I have a bit of wobble on my front pegs, it's a united supreme female front wheel (only about 4 months old) and BSD Rude Tube LT pegs (1 month old). When I first started using these pegs there was no issue and then after a while the right hand peg developed a slight wobble, I swapped it with the one on the left as I use my front left a lot less than my front right and again after a while the same started happening despite the axle bolts being fully tight.

As far as I can tell the axle bolts look to be in perfect condition and it seems like it's just the pegs moving whilst the bolt stays still. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem could be? It doesn't really bother me too much to ride with them like this but I thought I had better check what the problem could be just in case it could be something serious.

inb4 "hurr durr just ride pegless"

Either something preventing the bolt from threading all the way in/on the axle, you are missing the 3/8ths adaptor, to thick of an adaptor (thicker than the peg preventing the axle bolt or nut from making contact with the body of the peg)...or your pegs are broken.

|

11/9/2018 10:47 AM

spirit of 76 dont forget.

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

11/9/2018 12:36 PM

Let us not derail a perfectly good thread with political bullshit...again.

|

11/9/2018 6:23 PM

Wait a sec though...

Does that mean the washer was bent or something? Cuz if the washer was the issue, then wouldn't the peg still be stiff and tight even when the axle bolts were tight against it?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

11/9/2018 8:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2018 8:26 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Wait a sec though...

Does that mean the washer was bent or something? Cuz if the washer was the issue, then wouldn't the peg still be stiff and tight even when the axle bolts were tight against it?

Not if the washers were a small enough diameter that it only made contact with the steel part of the peg, leaving the sleeve to move around.

|

11/10/2018 3:48 AM

Did you trouble shoot it? As in take another wheel and peg and put it on. See if it is still doing it. Then try just peg and just wheel. If it is still doing it then you probably have an issue with the forks. If it stops with just a different peg or with a different wheel. Then the problem is in the spacing of the peg or the axle/hub.

Always check stuff out like that because if you are riding it and you have some weird problem. Going OTB (over the bars) when something breaks is not going to be fun. I am sure a friend will let you check with their wheel or peg. Hell give them a few bucks. It could save you money in the long run.

|

11/10/2018 4:18 AM

Every. Single. Thread.

|

11/10/2018 6:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2018 6:11 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Wait a sec though...

Spongeworthy wrote:

Not if the washers were a small enough diameter that it only made contact with the steel part of the peg, leaving the sleeve to move around.

Do you mean washers or adaptors? You dont need washers if you are running pegs and in fact, you would be weakening your setup if you did run a washer between your peg and dropouts.

Extra length=extra leverage, which can damage your frame or axle/hub. If you run female axles then it would also mean you'd have less bolt threads making contact with your internally threaded axle.

Uniguards would have this same effect but its a tradeoff to protect your chain and driver.

|

11/10/2018 6:11 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Do you mean washers or adaptors? You dont need washers if you are running pegs and in fact, you would be weakening your setup if you did run a washer between your peg and dropouts.

Extra length=extra leverage, which can damage your frame or axle/hub. If you run female axles then it would also mean you'd have less bolt threads making contact with your internally threaded axle.

Uniguards would have this same effect but its a tradeoff to protect your chain and driver.

The problem was that he DID have washers between the pegs and dropouts, which we all agree is wrong. We were just trying to figure out how it caused the sleeve to be loose and not the core. But absolutely, do not put washers between pegs and dropout, you are correct.

|

11/10/2018 6:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2018 6:13 AM

By the way Bullet, will you be joining us for some bump-jump action?

|