Pegless street riding.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/7/2018 1:33 PM

OK so the other day I ended up snapping my front bolt on a small gap to double peg, my friend had a bolt I could use but I only had a 6mm allen key so I ended up riding pegless for the rest of the day.
It had some ups and downs but I want to give it a proper try for a month or two since my bike felt so much more balanced.

So basically I was wondering (and this is mainly aimed at GrumpySteve) how it impacts the way you see spots and such, if it has made you enjoy riding more since you aren't doing the same stuff as everyone else.

The only grinds I really do are smiths, the occasional crank arm and a few double pegs, I have done one pegless smith before on a friends bike but I was also wondering if the Madera lightning bolts were any good for the front just so I still had the option to smith since my local plaza ledges are rounded off on the corners.

Also going to try hang fives again standing on the fork but I might just have to ride without them.

|

Hmmm

4/7/2018 1:58 PM

I love it personally. You can't just go to a ledge and do a load of grinds. I do a lot of pedal feebles, but that gets boring quickly so you have to think of ways to incorporate it in a line or combo instead. I also find I look harder for spots, or try to make something work.
I've never tried those little pegs, but I've got a thick washer I chuck on sometimes to help with smiths.

There's quite a few really original pegless street riders, I find them really inspirational.

|

4/7/2018 2:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2018 2:03 PM

Edman123 wrote:

OK so the other day I ended up snapping my front bolt on a small gap to double peg, my friend had a bolt I could use but I ...more

Those bolt pegs probably wont be long enough to do grinds on a rounded ledge...

I am still interested in them but less so since I started running pegs.

I personally have so many more options as to what areas I can ride with pegs, it opened up so much.

I know this question was more for steve but I thought you could use more feedback. smile

Im sure Im nowhere near as skilled as you two so that might be a big factor in my perspective, so keep that in mind.

|

4/7/2018 2:18 PM

Pegless street riding is the equivalent of the wannabe edgy kid in highschool

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/7/2018 2:18 PM

Edman123 wrote:

OK so the other day I ended up snapping my front bolt on a small gap to double peg, my friend had a bolt I could use but I ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I am still interested in them but less so ...more

Idk man I'm really good at wierd shit in just wildly different ways to everyone I know. I learned smiths on a stem height round rail but I still can't feeble a foot high ledge.
I can 360 up a curb stairs but harldy from a quarter.
My riding is just fucked basically.

|

Hmmm

4/7/2018 2:19 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I really hope not.

|

Hmmm

4/7/2018 2:21 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I love it personally. You can't just go to a ledge and do a load of grinds. I do a lot of pedal feebles, but that gets boring ...more

Yeah I've been a huge fan of Trey Jones since I started riding and Tommy dugan just amazes me sometimes.
Im going to try out one of those bolts anyway since I already need to buy a bolt I'm just going to try it out.

|

Hmmm

4/7/2018 2:22 PM

Since getting back into bmx I have yet to get pegs. But when I was riding a few years ago I ran two on the right, I'm still rusty on trick names but all I really did was grind rails or an 8 footer rail I made in high school. Even without pegs I still notice places that make me want to get pegs laughing surpringly enough tho in my part of town (lower north side) there isn't much to grind on. There are a few fire spots but their few and far between.

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/7/2018 2:25 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Idk man I'm really good at wierd shit in just wildly different ways to everyone I know. I learned smiths on a stem height ...more

Well in that case, those bolt pegs will probably be perfect for you! I dont think they will work with feebles anyway lol.

|

4/7/2018 2:59 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Idk man I'm really good at wierd shit in just wildly different ways to everyone I know. I learned smiths on a stem height ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Well in that case, those bolt pegs will probably be perfect for you! I dont think they will work with feebles anyway lol.

I thinked about buying these tiny pegs once, but instead I tried stacking 3 or 4 washers on my back axle but while doing feebles I was grinding the frame anyway so it was useless.
It's good for the front tho, it saved me a few 180 backward peg(less) grinds and I could do smith too.

|

4/7/2018 3:07 PM

I've been pegless since 97 (although I didn't really do pegless grinds back then). Pedal grinds have been around pretty much as long as peg grinds. I'd even go as far to say pegless riders have been some of the most influential riders around (Garrett byrnes, Steven Hamilton, Ian schwartz. They had a massive influence in bmx). It's really not a new thing. But if you'd be out of you comfort zone and realise you can't do anything but grinds I get it :p

|

4/7/2018 4:22 PM

Pedal moves are noice. Love me a nice long pedal slide on my local spine, benissimo.

|

4/7/2018 4:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2018 4:36 PM

1 name, 2 words:

Eric Lichtenberger. Seriously.

But I ride 4 pegs because I like to try every new trick I learn I try to learn switch.

I also don’t not ride something if I can’t grind it. I mess around with tire bonks, bump jumps, and walls rides as much as feebles, smiths and double pegs. You can definitely get really creative going pegless.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/7/2018 8:00 PM

I go from pegless to 2 pegs fairly often. It's great to switch things up! My whole riding style is different when I change and I start looking at/for things that I otherwise wouldn't. It's also cool trying to incorporate things like hang-5s into lines just because I don't really do them very often.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/7/2018 8:54 PM

In the 11 years I've been riding, I've only ridden without pegs 3 times...

once when I first started riding for a few weeks before getting pegs, once when I rode spare wheels that I didn't wanna grind on while my wheels were apart to be painted, and once when I stripped my axle and couldn't fit the bolt in with the peg on.

I personally didn't like it at all. my bike felt really snappy which I liked in a way though, but I'd hate to be fully pegless riding somewhere then seeing something and thinking damn I wish I could grind that. I feel like there's not many downfalls to riding with pegs because if you have pegs on, you always have the option to grind if you want, but if you don't have them on then you're screwed if you wanna grind. then again I'm a peg heavy rider so idk.

That being said, I have much respect for pegless street riders too. Steven Hamilton was one of, if not my biggest, influence when I started riding.

|

4/7/2018 9:23 PM

Worst comment of the day award goes to Brayden

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

4/7/2018 10:22 PM

Well i just took all my pegs off for tomorrow's ride so i don't get tempted to grind. I'm trying to let my wrist heal up. It feels really strange now without them. I don't like it at all... sad

|

4/7/2018 10:43 PM

On another note, Kriss Kyle has been pegless for a long time now and I dig his style even more.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/7/2018 11:29 PM

Last time I rode pegs was in the early-to-mid 00's. Never really had the interest to grind, or stall on a bike.

With that said, I love watching other people grind and stall crazy shit! lol

|

4/8/2018 3:05 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Well i just took all my pegs off for tomorrow's ride so i don't get tempted to grind. I'm trying to let my wrist heal up. It ...more

Yesterday I put 4 pegs on, rode to my gate, hated it, went back in and took off all the pegs, went out for one minute, hated it, came back in and put two pegs back and felt at home.

Seriously Im so used to my two pegs and front brake setup now that any deviation from it makes me feel uncomfortable. I have another pegless bike though and all I do on that bike are fast nosebonks and a crankarm grind if I can find a rail. Actually I prefer crankarm grinds on a pegless bike, so you can tuck your bike into the rail more and not having to worry about the pegs catching the legs of the rail.

|

4/8/2018 3:10 AM

Haters gonna hate Photo

|

4/8/2018 9:33 AM

Im trying out pegless now and I love it. Feels very simple and smooth and shifts my focus away from the smashy-bashy ledge riding which I wanted to get away from.

|

4/8/2018 10:37 AM

Update: pegless double Pegs (50-50?) are hard on rails but easier on sharp angle iron. Pegless hang 5s are hopeless though, tried a smith and the front dropout just slid off the ledge.
I'm going to add a few washers to my bolts and see if that helps.
Also being pegless forced me to learn crank arms on a rail today mid session.
Still can't pedal grind though.

|

Hmmm

4/9/2018 8:33 AM

I can do a couple of my flatland tricks without pegs, scary as shit standing on nothing but axle nuts when you have size 14 feet.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/9/2018 9:00 AM

I was pegless when I stopped riding 12-13 years ago, I enjoyed being pegless. But I don't think I will ever go back, having pegs on one side gives more options IMHO.

That said, I always take my pegs off for trails.... but I hardly ever get to ride trails, which sucks.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

4/10/2018 5:38 AM

Swing and a miss.

Does that mean people like Ryan Nyquist running 4 pegs and front and rear brakes at the trails is in the same category?

Tell that to Eric Lichtenberger (however it spelled). Dude is crazy good and creative.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/10/2018 6:44 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Swing and a miss.

Does that mean people like Ryan Nyquist running 4 pegs and front and rear brakes at the trails is in the ...more

I mentioned Lichtenberger in the beginning of this thread. He's got a great style and really creative. I enjoy watching him ride a lot.

His crank arm grinds are so sick.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/24/2018 5:25 AM

I didn't want to start a new thread to post this, and this was the newest thread I could find.
I made a yootooob explaining my history with being pegless and why I'm pegless. It's pretty vague to be honest, but maybe some of you might enjoy it?

Vlogs about coffee and the weather while I just ride around is next on my to do list

|

11/24/2018 5:44 AM

I don’t have any hate on pegless, I’ve ridden a fair bit with and around one of the pioneers of “modern” pegless street already mentioned in this thread. It seems maybe I’m detecting a bit of divisiveness amongst pegless street riders on this forum versus peg’d riders. I simply want every option available to ride a spot and with the advent of plastic pegs I’m enjoying grinding more than ever and a lot of options have opened up and the amount of damage done has been reduced drastically. I’ll have the same stoke for a lad riding pegs or pegless. I don’t need to partake in the one is better than the other or use it to create a divide amongst us. We are all riding bikes for fun. Do what is most fun for you and have stoke for the other riders your around whether their bikes have pegs or not.

|

11/24/2018 6:23 AM

People take this shit too seriously. Awesome riding is awesome, and it doesn’t have anything to due with pegs. Pegless flat is insane. Too hard for me, but amazing nonetheless.

|