Phones are a disease.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2018 1:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2018 1:23 PM

I dislike seeing the younger generation melt into their phones.

When I ride with younger guys any time its their turn to ride I try my best to give them my full attention so I can help them or just boost their confidence by providing a "hell ya" etc.

When its my turn and I ask "did I case?"

I look and they are inside the phone...

This isnt everybody but There were a good 15 riders/skaters at a skatepark yesterday and most of them in between runs were not actively there for thier friends.

I know I am generalizing but I see it as a huge problem, especially if you are riding with someone.

Thoughts/opinions/experiences?

|

8/24/2018 1:27 PM

I ride for me. I couldn't care less what anyone else is doing...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/24/2018 1:32 PM

I posted in my IG story the other day something called "millennial shredding" I watched FOUR kids walking side to side, kicking their boards forward while they walked with their heads buried in their phones.

It's everyone though. I see people step off the curb directly into traffic while looking at their phone. It really is bad, but I know at least for myself, I don't get too caught up in it.

I did, however, walk into the back of a PT Cruiser while text-arguing with my girlfriend and walking my dog once.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/24/2018 1:40 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

So if you are riding with a group of friends you dont give them your support?

|

8/24/2018 1:41 PM

Yeah, it's people in general really. It's rude, but socially acceptable because it's become the norm.
But as long as they don't cause me to fall off, I don't care what they do, or if they see what I do

|

8/24/2018 1:42 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I would. I was saying that while I'm riding, as long as I don't get snaked, I couldn't care less what anyone else is doing.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/24/2018 1:46 PM

Yeah, people are really bad with phones i agree. When i ride with others i like never use my phone. And when im eiding with others and i sit down to take a break ill watch them ride, not use my phone.

If im riding by myself ill use my phone while taking a break. But that's it..

And tons of kids at my school use their phones while they walk around the school bumping into people and what not, its pretty fucking annoying. When i walk, i walk and pay attention to where im going. Plus i like to be alert at all times, so if I'm walking around i can react to something if something happens, where if youre walking around on your phone youre not paying attention to shit lol

Its sad. At lunch everyone uses their phones and they dont communicate... its sad but thats how it is now. Wish i couldve grown up in the older years where kids would actually go out and do shit and not sit around on their phones and play video games and shit.... oh well...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/24/2018 1:54 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I would. I was saying that while I'm riding, as long as I don't get snaked, I couldn't care less what anyone else is doing.

Good to know, You are among a select few.

|

8/24/2018 1:57 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah, people are really bad with phones i agree. When i ride with others i like never use my phone. And when im eiding with ...more

Yep, it is definitely a social normality now...and it is sad.

Phones are great tools and great entertainment when there is nothing else to do but I feel bad for people when they choose electronics over everything.

|

8/24/2018 2:03 PM

Really it is all over the place. I am sure there is a 1% or less out there but it really chaps my khakis. For example today; I arrive to work, park, walk to the stairs and.... lady in front of me walking slower than a zombie down the stairs due to her face stuck in her phone trying to play candy crush... smh. Rant over.

It is not phones that are the problem. I suggest a couple different things. People do not realize that they are not multi tasking, they are distracted. Another thing, whether or not they admit it, is that whatever they looking at/doing on their phone is more important than you.

|

8/24/2018 2:20 PM

SupaShawn wrote:

Really it is all over the place. I am sure there is a 1% or less out there but it really chaps my khakis. For example today; I ...more

I've uh...become a certified asshole thanks to living in NYC for so long, but I will literally tell someone "That's not as important as walking up the stairs" when they do shit like this.

I shove past people standing in front of doors/subway turnstiles on their phones. I'm fuckin sick of it. This place is dangerous enough, there's no extra need for people to be additionally oblivious.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/24/2018 2:40 PM

I've ridden into the back of a car before because I was taking a phone call while riding along.
Then again today I went over the front end because I took both hands off to try and open a water bottle when I was going down a big hill and drifted into the kerb

|

Hmmm

8/24/2018 2:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2018 2:48 PM

I use my phone a ton . I dont have a computer though . I use my phone mostly for social media like this , Instagram clips to follow all the bike riders / companies. I'm in school too so our class has a group chat.

I've never let that stop me from going out , I actually end up getting bored playing on the PS4 for more than 2 hours or so , and try to go out and do something. It's just hard to bike when you're constantly in pain and 80% of the province is on fire . Phones are handy though, love getting some clips and getting people to come out and ride . I dont get how some people get hooked. I mean as mentioned I use mine a lot but I dont have a compulsive urge to check my phone when I get notifications and if it dies, it isnt the end of the world for me . I just hate not listening to music on the skytrain

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/24/2018 2:59 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I use my phone a ton . I dont have a computer though . I use my phone mostly for social media like this , Instagram clips to ...more

Exactly bro. Phones are not the problem. It is people.

|

8/24/2018 3:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2018 11:27 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I use my phone a ton . I dont have a computer though . I use my phone mostly for social media like this , Instagram clips to ...more

SupaShawn wrote:

Exactly bro. Phones are not the problem. It is people.

Correct, people are the problem when it boils down to it. Just referrimg to phones in particular because I see their use spreading quicker than wildfire. Its a mindset, its the environment, its marketing, its peer pressure, its convenience, etc. I know phones (the physical device) are not the problem.

|

8/24/2018 4:30 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I've ridden into the back of a car before because I was taking a phone call while riding along.
Then again today I went over ...more

Was it like when Wayne’s ex girlfriend smoked the car in Wayne’s world ?

|

8/24/2018 4:32 PM

I don't go on my phone much when I stop as sometimes it's cool watching the others who are really good at riding

|

8/24/2018 4:43 PM

Only time my phones out of my backpack at a skatepark is when I’m calling homies to come shred or meet up or I’m filming some moves , I’ve smashed enough phones at skateparks to know to keep them in the backpack unless it’s for a productive good reason

|

8/25/2018 8:17 AM

I usually get really into riding and completely forget I have my phone unless I need to make a call or want to snap some photos. As much as they can be annoying, it's nice to see most of the scooter kids off their phones and engaging with each other given that almost everybody their age seems to be glued to their phones and obsessed with social media culture.

|

8/25/2018 11:04 AM

fooby wrote:

I usually get really into riding and completely forget I have my phone unless I need to make a call or want to snap some ...more

Happens to me too, although I do listen to music but I still kinda forget I have itgrin and yeah now that you said it, scooter kids do interact with eachother quite a lot. No matter how annoying, I gotta give credit to them for not being like all the other kids nowadays with a phone glued to the hand.

Oh lord I feel old rn...

|

8/25/2018 12:16 PM

I'm never on mine at the skatepark. I'm at the park to ride and enjoy the time with friends, not scroll through photos and videos.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/25/2018 6:43 PM

I remember at the Incline Club back in 2002 to mid 04 we would all sit on the deck and watch each other ride. Especially if the Staff crew was there. When we wall rode/tapped, we'd ask how high did I get and everyone one would be able to tell you. How high did I air? They would tell you? You would land something and people would clap and shit. I landed a Rodeo Grind (and as I rode back up the quarter, my chain snapped) and everyone was watching and went mental (not because my chain snapped).

Now a days, everyone is quiet and to themselves. No one cheers on anyone. No one cares what someone else does. No one wants to help. It's kind of fucked.

|

8/26/2018 5:18 AM

It’s definitely a disease. It’s unfortunate and honestly is a major issue. It’s not just kids and teenagers either. It’s adults of all ages. Just look at the texting and driving statistics. Literally at the local hwy patrol station there’s over 100 keys hanging up all from only teenagers that were killed texting in driving within the year. They say the number triples when you factor in adults...

I’m actually getting back into bmx to help my son and my nephew get off the electronics. Currently they’re glued to fortnite and phones. When I was their age sure I played video games and went on my parents pc but honestly if it wasn’t pouring rain or wasn’t dark I’d be out riding bmx, skateboarding, riding dirt bikes, etc..I wanted no part of wasting a day sitting inside. Today kids only want to sit inside...my son tells me that he doesn’t know how to play outside!

Who’s fault is this? The parents? Maybe. Social media? Maybe. Society? Definitely. When kids see their parents on devices all the time they Obviously want to do what the parents do. Then they go to school and it rubs off to others and it’s just a chain.

I personally think there has to be a change.

|

8/26/2018 6:03 AM

ncturffarmer wrote:

It’s definitely a disease. It’s unfortunate and honestly is a major issue. It’s not just kids and teenagers either. It’s ...more

Well said. I'm sure nobody can argue that smartphones are very useful and make life a shitton easier, but in contrast there are a lot of problems most people didn't even see coming. Thank god I had a smartphone-free childhood. I played games for sure and even had a mobile phone from a certain age but it was just for calling to either friends or parents. If someone told me back then that a majority of people will be addicted to phones in some years I would have laughed. And yet here we are.

I've seen parents take their kids to a playground and in a couple minutes both the parents and kids are on their phone. Seen people texting and taking selfies while driving. Seen kids that can barely speak fluently operate a tablet to play games or watch cartoons. Also seen the mad tantrums the kids get when their mom or dad says they need to give up the phone. It's sad to watch really.

Don't get me wrong, I use my phone a lot. Actually a lot more than I'd like to. But at least I can leave it alone and do other stuff and not check my notifications or whatever every 2 minutes.

|

8/26/2018 3:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/26/2018 3:41 PM

I agree with Op.

|

8/26/2018 4:42 PM

Phones aren’t a disease , football and football video games are a disease , you guys hear about that guy in Florida , loses at a football video game tournament so he starts busting caps over a video game , people are fucked

|

8/27/2018 12:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 12:50 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I remember at the Incline Club back in 2002 to mid 04 we would all sit on the deck and watch each other ride. Especially if ...more

Now you mention it, more often than not if somebody lands something they've been trying for ages or something that's just downright cool I'll be like "Nice man! That was sick." And the younger guys usually just look at you with a look that says "who are you and why are you talking to me?".

Definitely not every kid but everybody used to be stoked on eachothers riding. That said, it's not all bad. I've had plenty of younger teenagers congratulate me even if I just land something like a pull-up bar after trying a few times.

|

8/27/2018 6:40 AM

ncturffarmer wrote:

It’s definitely a disease. It’s unfortunate and honestly is a major issue. It’s not just kids and teenagers either. It’s ...more

Rabbe wrote:

Well said. I'm sure nobody can argue that smartphones are very useful and make life a shitton easier, but in contrast there ...more

I would have never guessed it would get to this point. My parents got me a virgin mobile pre paid phone so I could call/text friends and call my parents when I needed them to come pick me up from friends houses and such. They also liked keeping me off the house phone as well. I would have never guessed it would get to this point.

I've seen the same. I've done it a few times as well. Mainly work related (I'm on call all the time and work in IT so server monitoring alerts come to my phone) but I usually don't just sit and scroll social media. My kids have kindle fire tablets and the older ones have phones. It is really hard to take them away but we do it when needed. Usually for behavior or when they refuse to get off and engage in activities.

Like you - I use my phone more than I'd like to as well. Its crazy that people say we're more connected than ever with these devices but honestly that's far from the truth. Instead of truly being connected we're constantly comparing our lives with others via social media, instead of having a real in person conversation - we're messaging each other or texting each other, instead of showing up to an event - its being live streamed so we 'watch it' online instead of having a real in person experience. That's not being connected. That's disconnecting. Just my two cents.

|

9/3/2018 1:00 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah, people are really bad with phones i agree. When i ride with others i like never use my phone. And when im eiding with ...more

|

9/3/2018 6:38 PM

I got you Bullet; take a trip north and I'll ride with you no phone.

|