Physical Shops

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2018 6:28 PM

How many of y'all actually still go to local shops?

Only reason I ask is because I was thinking about trying to open one down here in New Orleans. The issue I have is the scene, to my knowledge, is like 10 people. I could be wrong. They might be in the shadows. But the closest shop that does anything related is an hour away and it isn't a BMX shop. They do more cruisers and stuff.

I'm trying to gauge if people even go to there local shops anymore since I haven't been to one since 2004 and I was in NJ.

Do you go to local shops anymore?

View Results

|

7/27/2018 7:45 PM

I try too , but transition closed , next closest things are mountain bike shops with a bit of bmx stuff , I try to order from Canadian shops like 3 ride and harvester as much as possible , but I’m also picky and if I’m spending allot I want exactly what I want , sometimes Canada shops just don’t have distributors , but I spend Canadian as much as I can

|

7/27/2018 10:09 PM

I work at an all bmx shop now. I can tell you that it is a very bad idea to open one if you want to make money. 99% chance you will fail and go out of business. But if you somehow made it work it would be awesome! We need more core bmx shops holding the scene together, it’s just almost impossible to make it work.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

7/27/2018 10:39 PM

want to make a million dollars in the bike industry?

Start with two million.

|

7/28/2018 12:37 AM

I've never had a local shop, but going to Hastings has been fun ever since I started. It doesn't happen often though. I also order through a couple of small bmx shops that aren't local to me but the guys are genuine so I want to support them.

There's going to be a multi storey skatepark in the town I live in so I'm very tempted to open a bmx/bike/skate shop here. But the maths just don't really add up. Labour on repairs is the only real money maker, and you need to build a good reputation. I worked out if it was a bmx only shop I'd have to sell something like a frame forks and bars every day just to keep it open and give myself a modest wage. But the reality is you might go days without a single customer.

But, if you think it can work, and trying it isn't going to fuck yourself over, go for it!

|

7/28/2018 12:38 AM

Just be a good shop and dont ask above retail prices on 3 year old parts that have been on your shelves for over a year !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/28/2018 10:17 AM

I go to hike shops when I need something right now like grips and such. The bike shops around me are not very helpful for bmx though. If you road bike or mountain bike they are on top of things though.

I do have one bike shop "pusher bmx" and they are very friendly and helpful. I have bought many things from them but they are a ways away.

|

7/28/2018 10:23 AM

all my local shops are high end road bikes who look at a half link chain and like what is that

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/28/2018 11:34 AM

WiteMic wrote:

Only reason I ask is because I was thinking about trying to open one down ...more

New Orleans has a much larger scene than 10 people, only problem is that most of them are in the French quarter, and if you’re a long time resident, you’d know that the French quarter is the easiest place to get robbed in NO

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/28/2018 11:37 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I've never had a local shop, but going to Hastings has been fun ever since I started. It doesn't happen often though. I also ...more

Honestly, the best thing is to just do it out of your garage or house, and as a side thing.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/28/2018 1:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I've never had a local shop, but going to Hastings has been fun ever since I started. It doesn't happen often though. I also ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

Honestly, the best thing is to just do it out of your garage or house, and as a side thing.

No shop front, so you'd get zero walk in customers. Also the legality of using residential property as a business. Plus, with repairs, you won't get much business as some guy in his garage. The appearance of a shop is often more important than the quality of the work (think nicely kitted out workshop with all the good tools blatantly on display on a tool board, brightly lit, shelves full of stock and spares vs a brick wall garage with a tool box).
Plus, distributors won't supply just some guy, you need a shop before you can even open an account with them. Which won't work as a shop or for repairs. The tools alone to do general repairs on average bikes will cost at least 2k (that's trade price). I've looked into every possible and plausible option

|

7/28/2018 1:58 PM

I would go to one if there was one somewhere near, the closest is an hour away and unaccessible without a car so no dice atm. I'd love to walk in somewhere and get my questions answered and the product with me immediately. That said, I still think putting up a shop wouldn't be profitable.

|

7/28/2018 2:27 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

No shop front, so you'd get zero walk in customers. Also the legality of using residential property as a business. Plus, with ...more

South east US has some really lax business laws in some places. In Mississippi and Louisiana it’s quite common to see business run out of houses. A lot of businesses in NOLA are based out of homes, and a lot of homes are based out of businesses. I guarantee at least 10% of businesses on the French quarter have an apartment on the floor above. You could make a front in your garage too, just put up a wall in front of where the door would be, and put a door and you’re set. You are right about the distributor thing though, not to mention you aren’t gonna make much money selling when you have to buy for the same price as everyone else.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/28/2018 2:42 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Only reason I ask is because I was thinking about trying to open one down ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

New Orleans has a much larger scene than 10 people, only problem is that most of them are in the French quarter, and if you’re ...more

I've been here since 04. Only people I've ever rode with are the Knome kids (pre katrina crew) and Nulvl kids (Brocs crew). The scene is scarce as fuck now. I know most of the Nulvl homies are venturing out. I got so many spots... well my style. LOL. Haggard ass hood spots that no one else thinks to ride.

|

7/28/2018 2:47 PM

My local shop is Empire sooo......I go there a lot

|

7/28/2018 2:50 PM

From what I'm gathering if I'm gonna do something I have to have a variety of things. There's issues with that though.

1) There's a shit ton of bike shops. Just none that deal with BMX. They have the road, cruiser, and mountain bike market covered.

2) I would try and do a BMX/Skateshop but Humidity is one of the biggest names in the skateshop business. They were featured in mags, videos, and even Tony Hawk Underground 2. They're also in New Orleans so I wouldn't get the skate business.

As for doing it out of my house, ain't no one coming to my neighborhood. I live dead center of the hood. Traphouse across the street. Fiends on every corner. Liquor store on the corner. Ain't no way people are coming to my house just to buy Merritt pedals $15 cheaper than what others are charging.

My heart is in the right place but I'm starting realize I'm physically not. I would love to make New Orleans into the next NJ or Austin but this bitch is always going to be Mardi Gras central.

|

7/28/2018 2:56 PM

It could work. It could help build the scene. It could be cool as fuck.

Most shops make their money on repairs. Bmx bikes are way too simple and the only people that don't work on their own bikes are children and parents that are getting their childs bikes fixed. (i've had parents come into the shop because their kids brakes didn't work.. the cable was simply wrapped around the headtube because someone spun the bars. Also had a cyclist parent that didn't know how to get their kids wheel off the bike, even though the parent knew how to use a quick release on their own bike. "these nuts just confuse me..." lol)

So, you probably won't be making any money on repairs. Can you sell enough bars, grips, headsets, wheels, tires, complete bikes, seats, etc to pay rent and yourself or one employee? Can you sell the parts at a price point that folks will pay you instead of ordering online? Can you keep enough parts in stock so people will come to you instead of ordering online? If your answer to customers when they ask for a part is, "i can order it..". They're going to go home and order it themselves.

Again, it can be a great thing to help build the scene. Having jams. Getting folks together to ride. Having a central place for folks to meet up, etc.

But.. it ain't easy.

|

7/28/2018 3:20 PM

pnj wrote:

It could work. It could help build the scene. It could be cool as fuck.

Most shops make their money on repairs. Bmx bikes are ...more

And that's where the problem lies. If I lived in NY or LA or IL or TX I would've just started it and called it a day because I know things will sell. Here, I think I'm gonna have trouble selling anything but free ac. I might just try and organize jams at the ONLY skatepark here and see what the turn out would be and gauge it based on that.

|

7/28/2018 3:59 PM

WiteMic wrote:

I've been here since 04. Only people I've ever rode with are the Knome kids (pre katrina crew) and Nulvl kids (Brocs crew). ...more

"Haggard ass hood spots that no one else thinks to ride." almost every weekend merritt boys come up from NJ and ride around up here. drew is always bringing ya boys up here. i would be at the merritt jam tomorrow but my ride decided they wanted to go to a dirt jam in CT instead.

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/28/2018 4:15 PM

I go to Circuit bmx in Pawtucket Rhode island at least once a week. The owner Vic is a super good dude and it's like bmx heaven.

|

7/28/2018 4:31 PM

WiteMic wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

New Orleans has a much larger scene than 10 people, only problem is that most of them are in the French quarter, and if you’re ...more

WiteMic wrote:

I've been here since 04. Only people I've ever rode with are the Knome kids (pre katrina crew) and Nulvl kids (Brocs crew). ...more

Well it’s mainly flatland so the spots they choose are parking lots.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/28/2018 4:43 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

And there it is. LOL. I know nothing about flatland expect the bars are weird and the frames are weird. And Andrew faris might have invented the halfcab whip.

|

7/28/2018 5:11 PM

WiteMic wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

And there it is. LOL. I know nothing about flatland expect the bars are weird and the frames are weird. And Andrew faris might ...more

Flatland bars resemble older bars in respect to having little to no sweep and little to no rise, also, regular flatland frames look pretty similar to normal frames, like the intrikat, infinity ka, etc. hell, the S&m dagger is made for park and it’s probably the most common frame used for flatland out there. You have the extremes but those are for smaller people or people who don’t lift bro, so they can’t flex bro.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/28/2018 7:53 PM

We dont have local bikeshops in norway that sells bmx bikes and parts exept for cheap massproduced completes and a shittie small collection of parts

|

Street yes please

7/29/2018 12:59 AM

My original idea was a bmx coffee shop. Near the skatepark so riders could come and hang out before/after a ride without having to put up with mum's and scooter kids in the skatepark café. But that would've cost 40k......

If you've got enough money to pay rent and yourself for a year, then it's worth trying it. Most businesses fail within the first year, so if you can afford to not make much in the first year, and use that time to promote the shit out of your shop and build a following, do it!

I'm still tempted to set up a cycle repair shop, doing nothing but repairs. I've got enough saved to buy tools and pay rent for 6 months, but that's it, so I'd have to start making money straight away, which scares me. One basic service a day, or a couple of full services and a few tube replacements a week will pay me and the rent. But it could take months for anyone to even know the shop exists :/

|

7/29/2018 6:57 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

My original idea was a bmx coffee shop. Near the skatepark so riders could come and hang out before/after a ride without ...more

Damn that bmx coffee shop sounds like heaven tbh

|

7/30/2018 2:50 AM

I'm very thankful to have a bmx specific shop in town and I go there frequently as possible to get my shit. Shops will inevitably be a little bit pricey than a large mail-order but it's totally worth it to me on most items because of the things that the owner does for our scene ie jams, maybe give u a tab, sometimes helping you fix ur bike no charge etc. Plus the convenience factor. I don't wait for parts when I break em(money permitting) I think youre on the right track looking at space near the skatepark, I wouldn't have found our shop being as small/incognito as it is if it wasn't so close to it. It's definitely a labor of love tho. The guy that runs ours has already had to move to a smaller and farther away location than where he started but if you want to do it I know it's possible, we aren't in a large city. I don't even know how much he profits from the shop but it can't be much. Regardless I'm jealous of his occupation and I always see him smiling so he's gotta be doing something right y know

|

@coupd_tat

7/30/2018 4:51 AM

I voted no, only because there literally are no shops that carry anything (ANYTHING) BMX in my area. I really would like to shop local & I do when it's something I know they will have. But, in general, my shops don't carry what I want/need & 90% of the time, they don't deal with a distributor that carries it either.

|

7/30/2018 6:41 AM

Yeah no shops local to me carry any BMX stuff except one has a couple GT 26in cruisers. Talking to the owner, he is hoping that with the city building a new bike park (pump track, dirt jumps supposedly) and a new skatepark that a bit more of a BMX scene will start up and he will be able to justify carrying some BMX stuff.

Honestly in most cities, I don't see how a BMX only bike shop would survive. If you carried the BMX stuff with MTB and road bike stuff sure.

|

7/30/2018 7:32 AM

I have a local bmx shop that also does custom work (powder coat, bike mods, custom frames,etc)

If you want your local bike shop to get more bmx, start asking them to order stuff for you. The more people ask, the more inclined they will be to support bmx.

|

It’s all bmx