Pivotal seat's wedge-bolt is stripped, any easy fix?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/22/2015 5:12 PM

I have the 'nigel sylvester' pivotal seat by animal, been using it with Animal seat post but the bolt that secures the seat to the post is stripped to hell (not the threads, but the spot where the allen key touches it - instead of a 6-sided slot, I just have a circle....)

Can I just order a new generic bolt for this, or grab one at home depot or something? Seems a dumb reason for an otherwise-good seat to be trash :\

|

10/22/2015 5:18 PM

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

10/23/2015 6:32 AM

Pay $3.95 plus shipping for a normal allen bolt?! Screw that dude! Go to your local hardware store with the bolt you have from your seat. Make sure the thread pitch and length matches what you have already. It's not rocket science to figure it out. Plus the bolt will probably cost less than 50¢ and you have it same day without paying shipping and having to wait...but that's just my two cents.

|

11/11/2015 12:57 PM

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll try home depot first and if no luck (common problem, surprisingly) then will order from dan's. Can't say that I think very highly of Animal after this, it's the only animal product i've had and for it to be that stripped is disappointing, must've been some real shit-metal used for that bolt it's not like I just beat on it or something..

|

11/11/2015 5:09 PM

Stripping a bolt is user error, in no way animals fault.

|

11/11/2015 5:14 PM

bobPA wrote:

Not necessarily true. I've gone through so many of the Odyssey brake lever bolts simply because the Allen broach is too shallow and I believe was also an aluminum bolt. Replaced with a hardware store bolt, never stripped again.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/11/2015 5:22 PM

Very true ^^^^

|

11/11/2015 9:06 PM

Ace is the place man. I don't recommend Home Depot or lowes tho chance are you'll end up buying a package of bolts that would work. Ace hardware or a Tru Valu is likely to have something strikingly similar, if not close to exactly the same maybe even in chrome. They have Hilman stock at Ace and they carry all kinds of goodies from Grade 8 to 10" long ace is the place for NBS. Nuts bolts screws.
Worked at ace hardware for about 6 monthes, people often complained about the small selection at lowes and Home Depot...

|

11/12/2015 6:18 AM

bobPA wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not necessarily true. I've gone through so many of the Odyssey brake lever bolts simply because the Allen broach is too ...more

But it is a seat bolt, and they are steel, so the alloy part doesn't apply. Plus those seat bolts are rarely shallow, so it likely was a bad allen or user error, and blaming animal for that is silly.

Also, I have had an Odyssey M2 since it came out without a single issue, original bolt. Same goes for my front lever which is off an Eastern Boss 2010 Model, no issues there either. Removed and reinstalled MANY times. Blaming the item only is a great way to push any responsibility off yourself for the issue. There is ALWAYS a user error factor, because you were there, doing something with it. Just like how a car accident is always considered 10% your fault for being there according to most insurance companies. They use the "If you weren't there, it wouldn't have happened" logic, which, is pretty sound honestly.

To the original poster: I would STRONGLY urge you to get a replacement allen wrench in the correct size based on the bolt you purchase. 99% of the time the allen wrench is mangled, kids use the American standard and not metric, OR they get the allen in badly and crank on it, stripping it out.

I would be you are guilty of at least one of those things. Most likely the mangled allen wrench.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/14/2015 12:56 PM

bobPA wrote:

Perhaps. We'll see if the next one strips right out, then it's obviously my fault! I'd been using a 6mm allen key, I have to imagine that was proper but maybe it wasn't... dunno or care, but it's just sooo stripped from an allen key that's held vertically so little leverage, am positive that the bolt isn't made of high-strength material.

|

11/14/2015 7:35 PM

adfkje wrote:

Perhaps. We'll see if the next one strips right out, then it's obviously my fault! I'd been using a 6mm allen key, I have to ...more

They're all the same exact bolts. You could have had a Fit seat, a Shadow seat, or any other seat and the bolt will be the same thing made out of steel.

It's in no way Animal's fault, and if it's anyone's fault besides your own, it'd be MacNeil for inventing the pivotal seat & making the allen key broach not as deep as you'd like.

|

11/14/2015 8:15 PM

Just get an M10 x 1.5mm thread bolt. For length just remember 25.4mm = 1 inch...so 50mm is roughly 2 inches.

|

12/27/2015 9:31 AM

Ok so I wanted to swap the bolt because I really liked that nigel seat, but it seems it's impossible to remove the bolt w/o cutting plastic and irreversibly damaging the seat (if anyone knows how to get pivotal bolts in/out of an Animal Nigel Sylvester seat plz PLZ tell me! Haven't thrown it away, but it's just a nice paperweight now sad

Took a chance with a 'Free Agent' seat, am very very impressed with it so far, I dunno how much of that I should credit to the seat in particular or to just having finally gotten the right seat type (plush) for myself. Hopefully I do not strip this bolt wink

|