Pivotal vs Tripod

Related:
Create New Tag

5/21/2019 1:06 PM

Hi guys,

I need to replace my tripod seat since it's quite old now but It seems that tripod seats are now quite hard to find.

Any thought about it? I just decided in the past to buy a tripod one because I thought was the new product and also it looks cleaner.

But, since I can't find lots of options, what you guys suddgest? What are pros and cons ?

Thank you

|

5/21/2019 1:11 PM

More adjustability with a pivotal. But railed is the way forward. All the adjustability you could ever ask for

|

5/21/2019 1:40 PM

Kunstform have plenty of Tripod seats: [link]

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/21/2019 2:34 PM

Where are you looking? It seems to me the complete opposite - pivotal seats are dying.

|

5/21/2019 7:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2019 7:36 PM

Tripod is supposedly a good bit stronger than pivotal. I think Pivotal is currently the most popular, but I've been told by others that have broken alot of Pivotal posts/seats that the tripods hold up alot better. I've personally never had an issue with my pivotal's but I don't ride really hard nor do I toss my bike when I'm mad lol

|

5/22/2019 12:54 AM

I vote for pivotal,
I never liked the non adjustability of the tripod seats, the only seat I ever broke was a pivotal, but that was after a nasty case on a backflip, my leg just crushed the seat, and it was probably best case scenario for my leg soooo, pivotal is good.

|

5/22/2019 1:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2019 1:05 AM

I had a pivotal seat before, and I simply don't understand the point compared to tripod and combo/integrated seats:

- They're heavy, because of all those groove moldings on both the seat and the post.
- They regularly get loose, which is annoying. They tend to break more easily.
- The adjustability is nice in theory, but in practice has very little use. You only really adjust it once and then keep the same angle forever. Same applies to railed seats
- Seats are not even cheaper than integrated seats even though you don't buy the post, so economically they're not even worth it.

The only benefit I see in a pivotal seat is when you're unsure about the seat angles you prefer to ride with. It lets you experiment a bit with different angles and see which one you like most. At which point you should buy integrated seats which are lighter and less maintenance, with the angle you're comfortable with.

|

5/22/2019 5:19 AM

Fatalize wrote:

I had a pivotal seat before, and I simply don't understand the point compared to tripod and combo/integrated seats:

- They're heavy, because of all those groove moldings on both the seat and the post.
- The adjustability is nice in theory, but in practice has very little use. You only really adjust it once and then keep the same angle forever. Same applies to railed seats
- Seats are not even cheaper than integrated seats even though you don't buy the post, so economically they're not even worth it.

The only benefit I see in a pivotal seat is when you're unsure about the seat angles you prefer to ride with. It lets you experiment a bit with different angles and see which one you like most. At which point you should buy integrated seats which are lighter and less maintenance, with the angle you're comfortable with.

Even railed seats weigh barely anything, even with the post. So the weight argument is a bit invalid. Tripod seats only give 2 position options, and combos don’t give you any option at all. But with a railed seat you can literally put your seat however you want it. I have my seat pretty far back, and angled up. That’s how I want it, if a seat and post doesn’t give me the option to use it how I want, I won’t buy it.

|

5/22/2019 8:28 AM

Fatalize wrote:

Pivotal is absolutely not heavy, the difference in weight is tiny. If your seat keeps getting loose, you're doing it wrong. That shouldn't happen. Tripod posts have a useless change in thickness near the top, which is prone to breaking (Seriously, I've seen so many snapped Tripod posts I've stopped counting). Pivotal seats used to break somewhat frequently but most companies have been using stronger bases for years. There's a reason why Tripod never really caught on.

But the main thing: Please show me an integrated seat/post combo where you can choose your own angle. What you're describing doesn't actually exist because the manufacturing costs would be insane.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/22/2019 10:28 AM

railed is classier and looks better

|

It’s all bmx

5/22/2019 10:34 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

meh.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/22/2019 10:41 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

meh.

The reason I went railed was after looking at my old pivotal too long and thinking it made my bike look like it had an over bite. I can’t unsee it, can’t go back now. It just looks goofy to me

|

5/22/2019 11:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2019 11:32 AM

I think bikes with fat pivotals or fat tripod seats look best. Railed seats look off putting to me. 🤷‍♂️ Glad they make all kinds of systems. Pivotal is my preference.

|

5/22/2019 12:09 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Pivotal is absolutely not heavy, the difference in weight is tiny. If your seat keeps getting loose, you're doing it wrong. That shouldn't happen. Tripod posts have a useless change in thickness near the top, which is prone to breaking (Seriously, I've seen so many snapped Tripod posts I've stopped counting). Pivotal seats used to break somewhat frequently but most companies have been using stronger bases for years. There's a reason why Tripod never really caught on.

But the main thing: Please show me an integrated seat/post combo where you can choose your own angle. What you're describing doesn't actually exist because the manufacturing costs would be insane.

this, that kid’s on fuckin crack or something. If your seat is coming loose, use a bigger allen wrench or tighten it more. I get that some seats are pretty fat and you sometimes can’t fit an allen key in them but find a way. Mine never ever comes loose. Don’t complain about a problem when it’s user error.

The only true advantage tripod had was it was royalty free, correct? Unlike the pivotal design that companies had to pay to use from McNeil. So in theory more companies would want to use it and make it cheaper… yet all the companies still had pivotal seats available for the same or near the same prices as tripod seats anyway so kind of a moot point

|

5/22/2019 12:09 PM

Fatalize wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

It is not popular but there have been frames that had an integrated seat post. 2011 Fit Eddie Cleveland signature had it and the '12 Eddie v3 had optional integrated or non-integrated. I cant see how the manufacturing cost would be insane. It is probably more of the market preference and riders having more options..... but meh, whatev lol

|

5/22/2019 12:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2019 12:30 PM

SupaShawn wrote:

It is not popular but there have been frames that had an integrated seat post. 2011 Fit Eddie Cleveland signature had it and the '12 Eddie v3 had optional integrated or non-integrated. I cant see how the manufacturing cost would be insane. It is probably more of the market preference and riders having more options..... but meh, whatev lol

I believe he is referring to seat/post combos, rather than frames with integrated posts. Pretty much all combo seats have the same angle. He says you should find the angle you like and get a combo seat with that angle, which isn't possible. Manufacturing seat/post combos with multiple angles would not be remotely efficient.

Integrated seat posts are totally underrated and should be on more frames. They look unbelievably clean. And if you don't like the height, it's easy to cut it off and use a normal clamp and post.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

5/22/2019 12:54 PM

Always railed seats on trails bikes and stealth pivotals on everything else for me, never really liked the tripod but they are out there still, flybikes makes some alright looking ones.

|

Ride everything

5/22/2019 1:20 PM

Buy the haro Dave mirra tribute railed seat. It's a dream

|

It’s all bmx

5/23/2019 5:08 AM

Railed on every other aspect of cycling for me, Pivotal on the BMX. I've been on pivotal for easily well over a decade and never ONCE did my seat come loose.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura