Plastic Vs Chromo Pegs

Related:
Create New Tag

12/17/2018 8:37 AM

I personally ride metal pegs while riding street but i wanna know some other people's perspectives on why they ride plastics or metals.

|

"What the hell is the noise coming from?!"

12/17/2018 8:41 AM

I ride the invisible pegs. They're great

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/17/2018 8:42 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

DAAAAMN bro whered you get em??! danscomp?

|

12/17/2018 8:49 AM

I ride metal, but have been considering getting some plastics just so I can grind more rough stuff. I'll pretty much slam my face into the bars on some of the concrete ledges around here. They both have advantages and disadvantages but for now, I like the sound of metal and how long they last.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/17/2018 8:57 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I ride metal, but have been considering getting some plastics just so I can grind more rough stuff. I'll pretty much slam my face into the bars on some of the concrete ledges around here. They both have advantages and disadvantages but for now, I like the sound of metal and how long they last.

ive ridden my friends bike who had plastic pegs and i did a feeble on an extremely waxed ledge but i dont know what the benefits of plastics are other than the smoothness on a good ledge, wouldnt they wear faster on fresher ledges? thats my main reason i havent picked up a set. Im just not trying to go and spend 20 each on some plastics and have them destroyed in a week from the ledges i grind riding street.

|

12/17/2018 9:14 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

gae

|

12/17/2018 9:21 AM

JustARider15 wrote:

ive ridden my friends bike who had plastic pegs and i did a feeble on an extremely waxed ledge but i dont know what the benefits of plastics are other than the smoothness on a good ledge, wouldnt they wear faster on fresher ledges? thats my main reason i havent picked up a set. Im just not trying to go and spend 20 each on some plastics and have them destroyed in a week from the ledges i grind riding street.

Our esteemed Colo-rad-ian bulletpup did a recent review of a few plastic pegs. They definitely wear faster than steel, that's instantly obvious. But just off the top of my head the benefits are -

- Quieter for riding street. None of that CLANNGGGG of metal pegs hitting a metal rail. Also good for aluminum rails as steel doesn't slide well on aluminum.

- More options for grinding unwaxed stuff. Because the plastic kind of shears material off, it'll slide on an unwaxed ledge better than a new steel peg.

- Plastic is lighter than steel. I ride 4 steel pegs and it probably adds close to 2 lbs to my bike.

Link to bulletpup's video:

">

So, check it out. I used to say I'd never get plastic pegs, but I think after seeing Doug's video and other people talk about them, I'll give them a try.
|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/17/2018 10:02 AM

plastic is more stealth.

You can ride more spots for a longer amount of time before getting kicked out because they're do less damage and make less noise.

|

12/17/2018 10:27 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

JustARider15 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Our esteemed Colo-rad-ian bulletpup did a recent review of a few plastic pegs. They definitely wear faster than steel, that's instantly obvious. But just off the top of my head the benefits are -

- Quieter for riding street. None of that CLANNGGGG of metal pegs hitting a metal rail. Also good for aluminum rails as steel doesn't slide well on aluminum.

- More options for grinding unwaxed stuff. Because the plastic kind of shears material off, it'll slide on an unwaxed ledge better than a new steel peg.

- Plastic is lighter than steel. I ride 4 steel pegs and it probably adds close to 2 lbs to my bike.

">

So, check it out. I used to say I'd never get plastic pegs, but I think after seeing Doug's video and other people talk about them, I'll give them a try.

Thanks man!

I really like the fact I am damaging things less as well.

|

12/17/2018 10:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2018 10:35 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

">

my grindworks street lite steel pegs are lighter than my primo binary pl v2

ive also found metal slides better on metal coping/rails than plastic i noticed with plastic it would stick sometimes

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

12/17/2018 11:31 AM

I prefer metal pegs but ride plastic. I ride plastic so when the skatepark nanny at some of the parks cries about me riding or having pegs i can say, "what's this plastic going to do to that concrete and steel?"

|

12/17/2018 11:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2018 11:54 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I actually find it just the opposite. I grind gnarly rough shit ledges with Steel and smoother/less abrasive stuff with sleeved plastic. Plastic pegs make me choosier about what I would consider “grindable” which I find interesting because it is exactly the opposite of what everyone says. All this considered I love my plastic sleeved pegs and prefer them most of the time because they are quieter and smith grind better(IMO).

Might I add also, BulletPups plastic peg shootout is literally what got me to try them out. Thanks Bullet.

|

12/17/2018 11:56 AM

|

12/17/2018 1:29 PM

As much as I love doing fast feebles on rough ledges with steel and sparkles plastics allow me to actually slide on backward grinds and doing toothpicks on stuffs I couldn't otherwise, also heps for smiths and spinning off grinds.
Sometimes I ride steel on my oppo side to get best of both.

|

12/17/2018 4:44 PM

I ride steel pegs because I don't wanna be replacing sleeves every couple of weeks, I like the sound/feel, I don't give a fuck about your property (can't wait for moralfags "hurr but wut if is ur property"), and if something doesn't slide I just wax it or go faster. Steel pegs with steel hub guards on steel rails = (insert jizz emoji)

Also fun fact: TheComeUp once called me out for trash talking plastic pegs after they posted "Like if you're gonna get a new set of plastic sleeves this weekend!" (like it was some kind of dick measuring contest to constantly be replacing their sleeves?) so I commented "nah I think I'll just stick to the same steel pegs I've been riding for the past 4 years instead of having to replace plastic pussy rods" and ooh boy were people mad about that comment.

Somehow they twisted my words into "Garrett Reynolds is a pussy" and "That's like saying you hate basketball but Shaq is tight" which made no sense but fuck it

|

12/17/2018 5:04 PM

Steel is real.

|

12/17/2018 7:34 PM

Chromoly in the rear plastic in the front. Perfect combo.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/17/2018 9:45 PM

And so the great debate begins again.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

12/17/2018 11:36 PM

I've been riding BSD Rude Tubes since about October and I'm still not even close to needing to replace my sleeves yet. Anyone who knows my riding knows that I spend most of my time doing grinds too. I don't think plastic seems to make too much difference in the back but for things like Smiths they slide so nice

|

12/18/2018 12:52 AM

I mostly do stalls on quarters rathers than grinds, so I have chromo pegs since they're a bit more sticky.

|

12/18/2018 1:09 AM

Chromo pegs because I'm a noob and bash the shit out of the pegs atm, better to learn with steel ones and go to plastic once I get better

|

12/18/2018 4:00 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Chromoly in the rear plastic in the front. Perfect combo.

I've been thinking about this for ages. After my experience of using both types, this just makes so much sense.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

12/19/2018 4:18 AM

I took a long break from bmx. When I came back to it was completely anti-plastic because all I ever rode previously was steel. So my new bike got steel pegs. They were fine, because that’s all I knew. But curiousity got the better of me after watching a Spencer Forseman video. Bought some Eclat Venoms thinking I’d take them off after a week. I love them. Never going back to steel. Everything just slides so much better, and they are wearing WAY slower then I expected, especially since all I really do these days is grind stuff. It’s all personal opinion, but I wouldn’t write them off without trying them first. I did, and I was wrong. Steel still sounds cooler though.

|

12/19/2018 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2018 11:29 AM

I just got ahold of 4 aluminum core pc pegs. Im excited to see if they hold up to regular use!

I will do a video on my reaction most likely for those who might be interested.

I dont get them till christmas though...

|