Plastic vs. Metal Pegs

Related:
Create New Tag

10/10/2015 8:31 PM

I have metal bsd kyles and plastic fiend belmonts. They are both good but I feel more slide with the belmonts. What's the difference between plastics and metals other than what they're made of. And is it easier to grind unwaxed ledges and rails with plastic or metals?

|

10/10/2015 8:54 PM

Plastic feel not as good on the rear, plastics feel better in front imo

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

10/10/2015 9:48 PM

Steel is real.

|

10/10/2015 9:52 PM

im commited to plastic, opened up so many spots for me locally.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

10/10/2015 11:05 PM

Neither one is better than the other, it's all preference/opinion.

If you want mine though, fuck plastics, hard in the ass. Why would I want shitty plastic pegs that need replaced every so often when hardly grinded when I could just ride metal pegs that last for years and can be grinded across rough concrete for more than one session.

I mean yeah pc pegs open up what more you can do on a ledge that doesn't slide well, but if I find a ledge that doesn't slide very well I either wax it up or go faster.

I also grind a lot so I'm pretty deadset on metal pegs and will never ride pc pegs. Plus nothing beats the sound of metal pegs grinding against rails

|

10/11/2015 9:53 PM

music to my ears, ca ching! ca ching!

|

10/12/2015 5:15 AM

I'm old as shit, but I prefer plastics if for no other reason than they don't destroy other peoples shit.

You could ride a spot with plastics and no one would even know you were ever there. Sure, you'll blow through sleeves pretty fast, but its just more respectful, and less likely to get you in trouble.

|

10/12/2015 8:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2015 8:45 AM

Plastic is an intelligent marketing skeem , sell you shit pedals that don't last at a cheap cost that will get you to spend more in the long run then you would buying metal pedals , bmx has really cashed in on the pussys who can't handle shinners from metal pedals

|

10/12/2015 9:17 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Plastic is an intelligent marketing skeem , sell you shit pedals that don't last at a cheap cost that will get you to spend more in the long run then you would buying metal pedals , bmx has really cashed in on the pussys who can't handle shinners from metal pedals

Yup.

Pussy who hates shinners here. I'll take PC shinners over metal shinners all day long.

|

10/12/2015 1:52 PM

eskimojay wrote:

tecnic1 wrote:

Yup.

Pussy who hates shinners here. I'll take PC shinners over metal shinners all day long.

Ive had more shinners from plastics because they're not grippy compared to metals

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

10/12/2015 11:21 PM

peggiesmalls wrote:

Ive had more shinners from plastics because they're not grippy compared to metals

Yup.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

10/13/2015 5:15 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I wouldnt say plastic pedals are a marketing skeem as they have been around well over 20+ years. They are nothing new. All have their benefits and disadvantages. Ive been on metals pedals for awhile however, Id rather spend 15 bucks on new pedal rather a higher price replacing shoes since the metal pins destroy the soles much faster.

Only major problem Ive ever had with plastic pedals is snapping the spindle..seems as companies are making it much larger/stronger so Id like to try it out. Both types have given me slip issues with wear.. Im on Fit Macs now..they had amazing grip when my shoes were new but once the sole is worn away, its a lot of slip. I do like those new Dugan pedals, the talk on them seem like they are going to be really good,

AS for plastic pegs, Fit Wizard sleeves last a loooonng time. Primo Pl are nice however the plastic is softer and the sleeves arent to thick. Also just picked up some Fiend plastics , sleeves are thick, I have high hopes for them.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

10/14/2015 8:36 AM

eskimojay wrote:

My plastics outlasted all my metal pedals with the exception of my Animal Hamilton Sealed Alloy set (because I haven't run them in like 4 years).

And we are talking ONE PAIR of PC's. Black Odyssey Twisteds.

And I don't think your "can't handle the shinners" is the intended portion of it, I think it was a "people want to do pedal grinds and alloy's don't slide well and can be heavy" thing. They cashed in with the lightness of them, the ease to manipulate colors aside from just painting, and a side benefit is shinners hurt a tiny bit less. Plus they can make them super cheap, and sell them for a decent price so when kids want to change their color scheme three times a year it isn't 100+ bucks in pedals to do so.

After all, kids want light, cheap and pretty. Durability is something that can be questioned, but in the few times I have hit my PCs, they bounced back without an issue, but I've destroyed an alloy pedal bumping it on a ledge- broke out part of the pedal body.

Call it what you will, and resist the change, but remember that without companies selling ass-tons of those pedals, they might not be able to afford developing a new tire compound, or new rim design that you like.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/14/2015 1:54 PM

I've had my plastics for over a yeah and still on first sleeves. I dont grind a huge amount, but they get their fair share of abuse, and theyre holding up. just never going to beat the sound of metal though. But just means my bikes even more like a ninja. And who doesnt want to be a ninja?

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

10/14/2015 4:05 PM

For unwaxed ledges, obviously plastics slide much faster/smoother. But that makes them wear a lot quicker too. Wax is a must for steel pegs, especially at lower speeds.

For unwaxed rails/coping, plastic still wins in speed and lasts much longer than on ledges. But steel is fast enough and feels more controllable at speed or down stuff. Steel rails really don't need waxing regardless of your pegs. ...well maybe if you're heading up rail and want to trick out or something.

It all depends on how and where you ride most. I recommend trying both to see for yourself what suits you.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

10/14/2015 4:55 PM

BMXism wrote:

For unwaxed ledges, obviously plastics slide much faster/smoother. But that makes them wear a lot quicker too. Wax is a must for steel pegs, especially at lower speeds.

For unwaxed rails/coping, plastic still wins in speed and lasts much longer than on ledges. But steel is fast enough and feels more controllable at speed or down stuff. Steel rails really don't need waxing regardless of your pegs. ...well maybe if you're heading up rail and want to trick out or something.

It all depends on how and where you ride most. I recommend trying both to see for yourself what suits you.

the only real benefit of plastics (in the back) for me was unwaxed ledges, but even that feels absolutely terrible even if you use plastics. It's also a lot more resistant to wheel slippage, and you don't ever have to worry about rotating your sleeves. Plus since they aren't quite as slippery as plastics, I find my pegs slipping off waxed ledges as often, which is always a plus.

for the front however, I can't do metals. I find myself doing a lot of regular and opposite tooths on ledges, and more times than I can count I have been bucked forward and ate it.

for me, what it comes down to the most is the sound. on the rare occasions that I step in front of the camera instead of staying behind it. I try really hard to make whatever I'm doing be the best possible, and metal pegs make sounds that make footage way more appealing to watch and listen to.

all of this is opinion so don't get your panties in a twist

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

10/16/2015 7:34 AM

I won't Smith with metal pegs. I know how. But I also know how much itll jam up my delicate elbow if I stall out one time.
On the other hand I've already had two plegs snap on smitjs but that's over like 6 years so I just don't think about it.

Plastic pegs die obscenely fast in the rear, tho. I go with a shadow little one. It is sooooo tiny after 6years

|

wallride a bus everyday

10/16/2015 5:25 PM

Metal pegs are so satisfying to grind on but plastics seem to help me with hard spins and not hanging up on smiths.

|

Follow on instagram will follow back.
brandonmorris_

10/16/2015 6:21 PM

Plastics are dope if you can learn to rotate legs and don't grind bricks daily .

It's like having a waxed rail / ledge without waxing it , and if you do you have plastics and wax and pedal fast it's like doing a double peg up the stairway to heaven , shit has no friction

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short