Polished

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2013 6:23 PM

So I'm in the process of rawing my frame but If I had more money I would get it chromed. My friend told me that if you polish the frame with car polish before you clear coat it that it will look almost like chrome. Has anyone had expirence with this?

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/28/2013 6:59 PM

You can do this, through gauging down Different grits of sandpaper and then buffing it, however, it will rust just like a regular raw frame. Chrome doesn't rust as easily as steel, which is why steel things are chromed and aluminum things are polished (different grits then buffed) because aluminum takes ages to rust, so it doesn't need the chrome finish to stay fresh.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/28/2013 7:06 PM

You can try it. The big issue is that paint: aka clear coat, will not stick well to something that is

A) Not scuff sanded
cool Not primed.

Factory clear doesn't stick either. It's a gimmick. A fad. A trend. The companies aren't trying to make their frames corrosion resistant. They just want to sell more frames.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

9/28/2013 11:32 PM

So if i just use find grit sand paper to get a better finish the clear coat will stick better?

|

My Fit

9/29/2013 2:03 AM

What grit should be used to get a polished look

|

9/29/2013 2:04 AM

What grit should be used to get a polished look

|

9/29/2013 2:07 AM

Idk Wtf just happened

|

9/29/2013 5:20 AM

All of them lol. You start with a rough sand paper, and then go down slowly to smoother ones. You should probably use atleast 8 different grits, and then buff it. If done right, it will have that chrome shine. And if you get a clear finish powdercoated on it will stick, but over time, the steel is still going to rust (a lot faster than chrome)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

9/29/2013 3:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2013 3:04 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

All of them lol. You start with a rough sand paper, and then go down slowly to smoother ones. You should probably use atleast ...more

What do you mean buff? Isn't that pretty much the same as putting polish on it? I've never done much more than spray paint something so this is all new to me lol.

|

My Fit

9/29/2013 3:53 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

What do you mean buff? Isn't that pretty much the same as putting polish on it? I've never done much more than spray paint ...more

Buffing removes the scratching/blemishes from sanding, however it only gives that chrome look when done after a very fine grit paper. Polish is just used to give something an artificial shine I BELIEVE.

|

9/29/2013 4:05 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

All of them lol. You start with a rough sand paper, and then go down slowly to smoother ones. You should probably use atleast ...more

oops didnt mean to quote this... but anyway dont put any clear coat and then just make sure to buff it often and it will stay shiny..

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

9/30/2013 5:04 PM

Ok thanks guys.

|

My Fit

9/30/2013 5:14 PM

Chrome/Polished is ugly.

|

9/30/2013 5:16 PM

Scenekid69 wrote:

Chrome/Polished is ugly.

Yes... This^

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

9/30/2013 5:25 PM

Scenekid69 wrote:

Chrome/Polished is ugly.

Chrisaustin wrote:

Yes... This^

I'd say you're pretty fucking lucky that it's not your bike then, huh!?

Carry on.

|

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

9/30/2013 7:32 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

You can do this, through gauging down Different grits of sandpaper and then buffing it, however, it will rust just like a ...more

Actually Aluminum's corrosion is a crusty white film, and it starts corroding INSTANTLY.

Steel takes longer to see the corrosion. Chrome is usually plated or dipped, and will not corrode nearly as fast, as it has to typically flake off or get damaged so corrosion builds up behind it.

BUT, polishing your frame would get it pretty shiny, but not the mirror like finish chrome will give.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/30/2013 7:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2013 8:01 PM

|

Latest edit (Check it out) | Anything With Two Wheels Goes!!
"Fuck it and Huck it" -Tomdon

[LINK TO IMAGE]

9/30/2013 7:58 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This perfectly explains how to do it. Use polishing compound when you buff it and you will get a near chrome result

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

9/30/2013 7:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2013 8:01 PM

Sharpy wrote:

I didnt exactly make it clear. The actual polish look comes from a polishing wheel. You do need to sand it first but the sanding will not polish it by itself.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

9/30/2013 8:07 PM

Sharpy wrote:

I didnt exactly make it clear. The actual polish look comes from a polishing wheel. You do need to sand it first but the ...more

I love how you edited your comment.Photo

|

9/30/2013 8:42 PM

I think I'm actually just gonna get some metallic silver rustolium and be a little different from everyone's raw frame and this way I shouldn't have to worry about rust if I do it right.

|

My Fit

9/30/2013 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2013 8:47 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

I think I'm actually just gonna get some metallic silver rustolium and be a little different from everyone's raw frame and ...more

I looked it up, i think it would look okay. but its not much different to silver spray paint. I think polished would be much better.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

9/30/2013 8:46 PM

It won't look anything like chrome. Just headsup. Maybe look into getting it nickel plated/dipped? I think it might be cheaper. Looks damn near the same

|

9/30/2013 8:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2013 8:52 PM

Photo
If I can get a color a little darker than this then I think it will look pretty sick.
Edit: hopefully the metallic paint is a little shiner too
|

My Fit

9/30/2013 8:53 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

It won't look anything like chrome. Just headsup. Maybe look into getting it nickel plated/dipped? I think it might be ...more

It would be cheaper than buying primer and spray paint?

|

My Fit

10/1/2013 4:34 AM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

I doubt it. I honestly don't know much about it. Research it! And yeah a friend of mine had his bike that silver color and it was killer! Just get matte silver paint and matte clearcoat.

|

10/1/2013 7:24 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

It won't look anything like chrome. Just headsup. Maybe look into getting it nickel plated/dipped? I think it might be ...more

fitbikerider14 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I doubt it. I honestly don't know much about it. Research it! And yeah a friend of mine had his bike that silver color and it ...more

Alright I'm probably gonna get spray paint like Wednesday so when I finish it I'll post some pics since I got a new phone that takes awesome pictures smile

|

My Fit

10/2/2013 6:20 PM

Photo

Shes primed and ready for paint in like half an hour smile I managed to find some chrome spray paint that looks pretty sick cant wait!
|

My Fit

10/3/2013 1:19 AM

fitbikerider14 wrote: Photo

Shes primed and ready for paint in like half an hour smile I managed to find some chrome spray paint that looks pretty sick cant ...more

Have you got a final photo?

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

10/3/2013 9:05 AM

Photo

Still needs another coat of paint and some clear coat but this is what it looks like.
|

My Fit