Polishing and rawing aluminium parts.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2013 6:41 AM

I'm looking to get an S&M Enduro stem some time soon but unfortunately they don't come raw.
So I'm probably gonna get one in black and just polish it my self.
I know there was a thread about it that was really helpful but I can't seem to find it.
So how can I get a chrome looking stem?

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

7/27/2013 6:58 AM

I've done this with a challenger. The best thing to do is buy some Silvo . Put that on, wait 15 minutes, wipe it off, the more you do it, they shinier it gets.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs

7/27/2013 7:33 AM

Wow. What a coincidence! I am actually doing that to Sun Big Baller rims right now. I got a lot of helpful info from Google. Most of what I found was on bmxmuseum. They said to sand down the part to 3000 grit and use Blue Magic polish with Charmin toilet paper to get chrome like shine (HAS TO BE THE RED LABEL CHARMIN because ANY other TP has small tiny wood grains in it). This is great for restoring parts with scratches all over them, but I have brand new wheels. Therefore, I'm using Aircraft Paint Stripper. This time I got a spray can version from Wal-mart. I also bought Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish because they didn't have Blue Magic, and some people prefer Mothers for its workability and lack of BM's ammonia smell.

Unless your stem is badly scratched, that's how I would do it. Plus, how are you going to sand in the crevices? Paint stripper is the way to go and is much cheaper than all of that sandpaper! Just make sure you use eye protection / gloves AND DO NOT get it ANYWHERE on you. It burns like crazy! Also, I would sand the outside of the part with 1500 grit and then 2000 grit as best as you can to cut down any noticeable scratches. Mothers/Blue magic will take care of the rest.

When I'm done, I'll post pics!

|

7/27/2013 7:34 AM

Raw it with oven cleaner
Sand with 60 grit then 100 then 150 then 240
Use mothers mag aluminum polish.
Put it on a rag and rub it in in a swirly motion in small spots at a time
Continue until desired shine is achieved

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/27/2013 7:36 AM

VinKreepo wrote:

Wow. What a coincidence! I am actually doing that to Sun Big Baller rims right now. I got a lot of helpful info from Google. ...more

Damn man thanks that was really helpful.
Can't wait to see the end result.

|

7/27/2013 7:37 AM

tomdon wrote:

Raw it with oven cleaner
Put it on a rag and rub ...more

Heard about that, probably gonna go this way.

|

7/27/2013 7:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2013 7:48 AM

tomdon wrote:

Raw it with oven cleaner
Put it on a rag and rub ...more

If it's anodized > oven cleaner and don't let it sit for more than 5-10 min. without checking it. The oven cleaner reacts with the aluminum to eat it off and therefore strips the top laver of aluminum with the dye in it. Leave it on too long and your stem will be FUBAR. Or you pour draino crystals into a bucket of water... NEVER water into a bucket with crystals... and let it sit for NO MORE than 5 min. but only if oven cleaner doesn't work, which it most certainly should, because that draino stuff will eat FAST.

If it's painted > paint stripper

If you use a rag, clean it often! Because all you are doing is rubbing particles back into the stem. It will shine, but not like chrome.

Here's a link to the thread with the pictures below...

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16620

BEFORE:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

AFTER:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/27/2013 7:48 AM

Wow that looks amazing!

BTW has nothing to do with it, but does anyone know if there's a big difference or any between the Fit high top and the enduro?
Specwise they are the same and made by the same company, on top of that they look really similar.

|

7/27/2013 8:02 AM

andyferly wrote:

Wow that looks amazing!

BTW has nothing to do with it, but does anyone know if there's a big difference or any between the ...more

well, this isn't really a major difference, but I was under the impression that the current Enduro was an update on a stem S&M used to make, and the High Top was just their way of keeping up with trends.

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

7/27/2013 8:12 AM

andyferly wrote:

Wow that looks amazing!

BTW has nothing to do with it, but does anyone know if there's a big difference or any between the ...more

hmuifulikefriedchicken wrote:

well, this isn't really a major difference, but I was under the impression that the current Enduro was an update on a stem ...more

Nah they juts used the name of the old enduro but it's nothing like it.
The old Enduro was basically a Charger with the front plate of an old Redneck.
I think they're pretty much the same stem a part of a few bits, I really hope they use the same bolts S&M used cause I really like the ones on my Redneck.

|

7/27/2013 8:13 AM

This is what I used to polish different hydraulic parts, and it brings aluminum to a mirror finish. It's not cheap, but if you really want a highly polished finish, this is a great way to go.
|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/27/2013 8:24 AM

Oven cleaner in 15 minute intervals to get ano off.

Then it'll come out a dark grey color, simply sand it with as high a grade sand paper you can find.

Next steel wool it to make the surface scratches very tiny

Then use "mothers aluminum and mag" polish. Put it on a paper towel (found that it works best through trial an error) and run it about on the stem. You'll notice the paper towel has black residue, that means its working and you can stop applying the polish.

Last use the softest cloth you can and rub that bitch until it shines. Or you can use a buffing wheel on a drill or bench grinder or something. I used a drill and holy fuck did it work.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

8/14/2014 3:09 PM

Bump

|

Fuck BMX

8/14/2014 3:14 PM

SUNDAYBMX187 wrote:

Bump

...why?

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/14/2014 3:22 PM

This actually is handy as I plan to do this to my freecoaster, then apply some red Ano-style paint to it to match it up some with my Demolition parts.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/14/2014 3:24 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

This actually is handy as I plan to do this to my freecoaster, then apply some red Ano-style paint to it to match it up some ...more

i would honestly recommend you find a shop that does ano. it would turn out better and it will end up with a more durable coating

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/14/2014 3:25 PM

plus they could do bead blasting so you wouldnt have to raw it yourself

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/14/2014 3:27 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

This actually is handy as I plan to do this to my freecoaster, then apply some red Ano-style paint to it to match it up some ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

i would honestly recommend you find a shop that does ano. it would turn out better and it will end up with a more durable ...more

Oh believe I would, but it is not worth the cost.

It is the ORIGINAL KHE Geisha hubshell (I would guess 7 years old at a minimum) with 3-4 year old internals and a rim I got at Frostbike for 10 bucks.

This wheel is nothing special, I just am nitpicky and want it to look close.

If I really wanted, I would just get a Demolition coaster in the correct red and another Zero rim. But money is the issue.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/14/2014 3:29 PM

I've looked into it, and all together I would be at over 50 bucks to get it Ano'd.

Sanding and polishing I could do for under 10 cause a buddy of mine polishes milk trucks for a living, he offered to do it for free. Or I do it solo and spend 10 in supplies to strip and polish (again a buddy has supplies he used on a motorcyle) and maybe 6 in paint.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/14/2014 3:30 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I've looked into it, and all together I would be at over 50 bucks to get it Ano'd.

Sanding and polishing I could do for ...more

yeah if you dont have a cheap place to get it ano'd, its probably not worth it. just make sure you take your time on the hub shell and mask off everything and it should look pretty sweet

|

8/14/2014 3:50 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

It is the ORIGINAL KHE Geisha hubshell (I would guess 7 years old at a ...more

How's that free coaster I have the same one and it has an unfixable wobble and blaaaaaaaaa I saw this and thought it might be helpful to other people so I bumped it

|

Fuck BMX

8/14/2014 5:41 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

i would honestly recommend you find a shop that does ano. it would turn out better and it will end up with a more durable ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

It is the ORIGINAL KHE Geisha hubshell (I would guess 7 years old at a ...more

SUNDAYBMX187 wrote:

How's that free coaster I have the same one and it has an unfixable wobble and blaaaaaaaaa I saw this and thought it might be ...more

I bet it is fixable.

Mine had one too, I replace two bearings, got a solid axle and am using an Odyssey clutch from my old reloader.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura