Popping noise.... umm help.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/8/2014 7:19 PM

So when I go to ride my bike , it makes a popping sound. Further inspection , it seems specifically at a CERTAIN point ; when my back pedal is alighned with my chainstays. It's the same side as my freecoaster. So when I pedal at that exact spot it makes a click / pop sound. The chain tightens somewhat but not much. It also makes my cranks pop forward too when you apply pressure. It seems stuck but you pedal and it ... skips?

I'm thinking it might be a part of my coaster that needs grease , although I used a fair amount when I did grease it. The hub is relatively new , maybe an hour and a half total ride time (trying , not cruising). Or my sprocket might be bent even though it's basically never ridden...

Help ! I'll take my coaster apart and grease it , as it still might just be breaking in but it shouldn't be like that. My chain is greased and my sprocket seems fine. The crank bolts are tight and no play is in the cranks.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/8/2014 7:27 PM

Re install cranks, even amount of spindle for each crank arm, regrease splines, tighten. Might help.

|

3/8/2014 7:29 PM

check your sprocket, it could be a tooth thats hitting the chain that just isnt bent enough to dislodge the chain but enough to make said noise.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

3/8/2014 7:34 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

check your sprocket, it could be a tooth thats hitting the chain that just isnt bent enough to dislodge the chain but enough ...more

Ok. But would that be why the chain seems to tighten and the driver to skip?

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/8/2014 7:43 PM

is it like a high pitched ping or a pop? your best bet is probably just take apart your cranks and grease them really good and lube your chain and regrease your hub because its so hard to single out whats making a noise in a drivetrain

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

3/8/2014 7:49 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

check your sprocket, it could be a tooth thats hitting the chain that just isnt bent enough to dislodge the chain but enough ...more

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Ok. But would that be why the chain seems to tighten and the driver to skip?

could be, all depends on how the tooth hits it if it is hitting it. do you notice any markings on your frame near your sprocket? if its bent inwards it could be hitting the frame. but I highly doubt that.... just slowly spin your cranks, and watch it look for any bent teeth, or anything in the chain, check your chain tension every quarter spin. the noise might not be coming from your bb but your hub

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

3/8/2014 7:51 PM

Is your crank arm hitting your chainstay? Lol.

If not, idk. I would imagine its to do with your coaster although idk shit about coasters. Just doesn't sound likr a typical problem for any other part of a drive train.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/8/2014 7:59 PM

THIS HAPPENED TO ME. Turns out I installed my half link chain wrong (inside out)

|

3/8/2014 8:23 PM

bet the sprocket is tweaked at a certain tooth, chain is probably skipping on it.

|

3/8/2014 8:30 PM

does it get louder/worse when you are pedaling faster? does it happen no matter what at that spot or does it sometime happen in different places/ not happen at all?

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/8/2014 8:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2014 8:32 PM

Just inspect every single part, youll find whats wrong in like 15 min unless its the freecoaster itself.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

3/8/2014 8:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/8/2014 8:40 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

does it get louder/worse when you are pedaling faster? does it happen no matter what at that spot or does it sometime happen ...more

When I pedal faster it goes away but I still feel it skip. When you pedal slower you can feel it alot more noticeably. I think it did happen in another spot a couple times but it's always in that one spot.

I'll take everything apart BUT I literally did my WHOLE bike when I got my coaster. I greased everything for the first time , I dont think it should be that.

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/8/2014 8:45 PM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

does it get louder/worse when you are pedaling faster? does it happen no matter what at that spot or does it sometime happen ...more

When I pedal faster it goes away but I still feel it skip. When you pedal slower you can feel it alot more noticeably. I think ...more

im gonna go with everybody else and say that it is the sprocket then... check the teeth. when you have your cranks were it pops it should be the one that just started pushing the chain... make sense?

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/8/2014 10:16 PM

for the record i don't read comments posted before mine for the most part so if someone said the same thing as i did then my bad...idgaf...fuck the police.

|

3/8/2014 10:26 PM

the popping I would say could be your cranks, the splines need greasing more.. but the chain tightening up like that is likely due to a messed up tooth. Also, did you remember the sprocket adapter if you have one? that could be it too. you wouldn't believe the amount of times kids come into the shop & have popping noises/weird tight & loose spots and it's because they don't have that adapter.

|

3/8/2014 11:08 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

the popping I would say could be your cranks, the splines need greasing more.. but the chain tightening up like that is likely ...more

Didn't come with one (adapter) but I used my old one , it fit fine. I removed a link from my chain if that matters. I greased it good though.

I greased my cranks a week ago. I really have no clue how it could be them but I'll give it a go. If nothing , it'll be my coaster.

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/8/2014 11:34 PM

Didn't come with one (adapter) but I used my old one , it fit fine. I removed a link from my chain if that matters. I greased ...more

Wait, you greased your chain? or you lubed it with finer lubes?

|

3/9/2014 11:43 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Wait, you greased your chain? or you lubed it with finer lubes?

I used Castrol Chain Lubricant for Dirbikes , although it says for any conventional drive train systems*

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/9/2014 12:07 PM

This may sound really stupid but a loose ball pedal with a loose spindle can make that popping sound and feel just like a problem with the drivetrain somewhere. If you have a different set of pedals laying around toss them on and see if it goes away. It only takes a second to do. I've had this happen a lot with my loose ball Stolen throttle pedals. You just have to tighten the spindle on the pedal

|

3/9/2014 12:46 PM

If it is the same position, ONLY when right foot forward or ONLY left foot forward, make sure your crank arm is not hitting your chainstay.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/9/2014 3:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2014 3:31 PM

Seems like I got it now.

I greased my pedal boss and it wasn't that . Although I needed to do it anyways , so it was fine. My cranks weren't hitting my frame , I'm not THAT stupid to let that pass. (The chainstay is bent from the crank rubbing anyway). My sprocket was slighty loose so I tightened that it it made the chain tensioned again.

Turns out some dirt / sand shit was all over the sprocket teeth and driver , so I used a Q-Tip to clean it out , then I greased (Not lubricant like I did before, actual grease) the general area of the teeth where it tensioned then popped and skipped. I did the same with the driver , especially on the area where this was happening and it seems fine after.

Thanks for the suggestions , I really appreciate you guys trying to help me out. It should be good now !!

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/9/2014 7:15 PM

bump tongue

Spocket was loose , yet I just checked it. Might have cracked my sprocket because it was fine.

|

My Cult 2 Short