Post weld heat treating?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2013 7:39 PM

I'm not familiar with welding, but what does it mean when a frame is post weld heated?
Is it the same as supertherm?

|

3/12/2013 7:52 PM

Sigh...

|

| Temper Tantrum | Instagram | Tumblr | Xbox - Slow Miatas |

3/12/2013 7:57 PM

Post means after, so it's "after" welding, it's heat treated (heat treat is to get the tubing and weld at same hardness)

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdick~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

3/12/2013 8:04 PM

ii Krxfted wrote:

Sigh...

Sorry.

I forgot to make the thread about color schemes and grips

|

3/12/2013 8:10 PM

ii Krxfted wrote:

Sigh...

sunny.jomofo wrote:

Sorry.

I forgot to make the thread about color schemes and grips

zing.

on topic:

googles your friend

|

3/12/2013 8:10 PM

When you weld more often than not the are where you welded is weaker, since the electrode is melted at a different level of heat than the actual tubing was. Post weld heat treating acts as an enforcer i believe it also removes some hydrogen bonds or something of the sort. Basically you heat the frame (or whatever being post weld heated) to a hot enough temperature where it bonds the welding area better with the metal composition.Not sure if i explained it right =P Basically strengthens the metals although welding rods are pretty strong 6011 is hella strong..... once welded of course.

|

3/12/2013 10:49 PM

Post weld heat treating equalizes the hardness of the frame or component, so it acts as one piece, as opposed to several tubes welded together with weak points throughout. Also, heat treating leaves microscopic fissures in the metal, so it should be shot peened as well to ensure maximum structural integrity.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

3/13/2013 12:17 AM

Look at Mr. fancy school book learnin with all his wordafyin n stuff.

|

3/13/2013 8:37 AM

Calafia wrote:

Look at Mr. fancy school book learnin with all his wordafyin n stuff.

gerd durm edumacations

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "