Power coating rims

Related:
Create New Tag

1/21/2020 8:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2020 8:23 AM

Question about the black Odyssey and g-sport rims. Are they just powdered black? Can you raw them and re powder coat them a different color? Kinda sounds like a dumb question but I want to buy a couple to re powder coat a different color.

|

brakeless maniac

1/21/2020 10:12 AM

They're hard anodized. They can be blasted and powder coated without taking them down to raw

|

1/21/2020 12:20 PM

Thanks

|

brakeless maniac

1/21/2020 2:30 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

They're hard anodized. They can be blasted and powder coated without taking them down to raw

If you're talking about sand blasting, then Yes, it will be raw/bare alloy. I wouldn't ever sand blast a rim you'd chew through it.

|

1/21/2020 2:32 PM

You can actually un/de-anodize them and then re-anodize them any colour you'd like, but its finding a place to do it.

|

1/21/2020 2:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2020 2:33 PM

And if they are powder coated just use paint stipper to remove the paint and choose how you'd like to coat them, anno, powder coat etc etc.

|

1/21/2020 2:38 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

They're hard anodized. They can be blasted and powder coated without taking them down to raw

Cellmember wrote:

If you're talking about sand blasting, then Yes, it will be raw/bare alloy. I wouldn't ever sand blast a rim you'd chew through it.

Wut.

|

1/21/2020 2:39 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

They're hard anodized. They can be blasted and powder coated without taking them down to raw

Cellmember wrote:

If you're talking about sand blasting, then Yes, it will be raw/bare alloy. I wouldn't ever sand blast a rim you'd chew through it.

HtownGetDown wrote:

Wut.

You mentioned the rims can be blasted and I responded if you meant sand blasting, which is a process which removes debris/paint from certain materials.

|

1/21/2020 2:44 PM

Cellmember wrote:

If you're talking about sand blasting, then Yes, it will be raw/bare alloy. I wouldn't ever sand blast a rim you'd chew through it.

HtownGetDown wrote:

Wut.

Cellmember wrote:

You mentioned the rims can be blasted and I responded if you meant sand blasting, which is a process which removes debris/paint from certain materials.

I understood what you said, I was just confused as to why. You can blast 6000 series aluminum without chewing through it or getting it back to raw. It just needs barely roughed for the powdercoat to adhere, which can be done over anodizing easily

|

1/21/2020 2:45 PM

If you're going to use brakes on the rims I'd recommend re-anodizing them as it's the strongest for wear instead of PCing, but if not then PCing would do just fine.

|

1/21/2020 2:49 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

I understood what you said, I was just confused as to why. You can blast 6000 series aluminum without chewing through it or getting it back to raw. It just needs barely roughed for the powdercoat to adhere, which can be done over anodizing easily

It's to easy to pit the alloy I wouldn't do it either way. You'd get a much cleaner/safer job using paint stripper if it's power coated, and de-anodize if anodized, you'd be crazy to blast an ano rim right.

|

1/21/2020 2:53 PM

Cellmember wrote:

You mentioned the rims can be blasted and I responded if you meant sand blasting, which is a process which removes debris/paint from certain materials.

HtownGetDown wrote:

I understood what you said, I was just confused as to why. You can blast 6000 series aluminum without chewing through it or getting it back to raw. It just needs barely roughed for the powdercoat to adhere, which can be done over anodizing easily

Cellmember wrote:

It's to easy to pit the alloy I wouldn't do it either way. You'd get a much cleaner/safer job using paint stripper if it's power coated, and de-anodize if anodized, you'd be crazy to blast an ano rim right.

Lol, ok.

If only someone would invent different kinds of blasting mediums or something better suited for softer metals....

|

1/21/2020 2:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2020 2:59 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

Lol, ok.

If only someone would invent different kinds of blasting mediums or something better suited for softer metals....

I did say sand. But what medium would you use to remove anodizing without damaging the alloy ? Curious.

|

1/21/2020 2:58 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

Lol, ok.

If only someone would invent different kinds of blasting mediums or something better suited for softer metals....

Joke right?

There's many kinds of blasting media, for blasting anything...

|

1/21/2020 3:00 PM

Oven cleaner and some muscle will take the anodizing off but in my experience the G-Sports use an anodizing that's harder to remove. I had to really work for it to remove the anodizing on my old ones.

Sandblasting at a lower pressure if possible would be more ideal if you can.

|

1/21/2020 3:01 PM

Cellmember wrote:

It's to easy to pit the alloy I wouldn't do it either way. You'd get a much cleaner/safer job using paint stripper if it's power coated, and de-anodize if anodized, you'd be crazy to blast an ano rim right.

HtownGetDown wrote:

Lol, ok.

If only someone would invent different kinds of blasting mediums or something better suited for softer metals....

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Joke right?

There's many kinds of blasting media, for blasting anything...

Yes it's a joke. I use blast cabinet almost daily

|

1/21/2020 3:02 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

Yes it's a joke. I use blast cabinet almost daily

What medium would you use to avoid damaging the surface ?

|

1/21/2020 3:10 PM

Cellmember wrote:

What medium would you use to avoid damaging the surface ?

#100 aluminum oxide works fine and is more than likely what a PC shop has loaded up in their cabinets anyways

|

1/21/2020 3:16 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

Yes it's a joke. I use blast cabinet almost daily

Cellmember wrote:

What medium would you use to avoid damaging the surface ?

HtownGetDown wrote:

#100 aluminum oxide works fine and is more than likely what a PC shop has loaded up in their cabinets anyways

Nice, I'll check it out and do some research on that, as I'm going to be in the same boat as OP soon and need to redo some anodized rims. Structurally they are fine just the ano that's beat up, strip and re ano as I use brakes.

|

1/21/2020 3:20 PM

Cellmember wrote:

What medium would you use to avoid damaging the surface ?

HtownGetDown wrote:

#100 aluminum oxide works fine and is more than likely what a PC shop has loaded up in their cabinets anyways

Cellmember wrote:

Nice, I'll check it out and do some research on that, as I'm going to be in the same boat as OP soon and need to redo some anodized rims. Structurally they are fine just the ano that's beat up, strip and re ano as I use brakes.

If you aren't PCing them and plan on anodizing them again, just grab a bottle of Greased Lightning from your hardware store

|

1/21/2020 5:00 PM

I've used the oven cleaner method, worked pretty alright.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

1/21/2020 8:03 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I've used the oven cleaner method, worked pretty alright.

Second this.

Does anyone know if you can even powder coat alum.? When I rattle can over alum, it never really seems to stick as well as to chromo, maybe that's coincidence. But I know rattle can and powder coat are two totally different things anyway...

|

1/21/2020 8:36 PM

Instead of fighting with oven cleaner or having them blasted - just buy some of the powdercoated limited edition colors & soak them with aircraft stripper.

We also have a set of raw Aerospace rims here at powers if you’d like some that are ready for powder!

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/21/2020 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2020 10:42 PM

Real powder coat laughs at most paint strippers and most chemicals.. It's not a paint like enamel or laquer, more like a plastic coating/powder, baked, and melted on.

The only way to take off real powder coat is blasting, sanding, acid dipping..

Nothing really likes to stick to aluminum generally speaking.. Even powder coated aluminum chips easier and bigger chipps than steel or molly coated the same.

Anodized aluminum can be easy or tough to remove the anodized coating with oven cleaner, depending on the molecular depth of the coating. I've tried some parts that only got lighter in color and not straight raw with that process. Anodizing is tough, for real...

Just my experiences, restoring you name it...

|

1/21/2020 10:39 PM

Correction/edit, the only coating that really likes to stick/take hardcore to aluminum alloys is adodizing...

|

1/21/2020 11:51 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Correction/edit, the only coating that really likes to stick/take hardcore to aluminum alloys is adodizing...

Powder coat takes to properly prepped aluminum and aluminum alloy with no problem. A lot of manufacturers powder coat them despite anodizing being cheaper. One of my best dudes runs brakes on a rim he powder coated a couple years back and it still looks mint.

|

1/22/2020 3:49 AM

I've never had to sand blast anything but always wanted a cabinet. Isn't there less abrasive material you can use with a sand blaster for different metals? We had to send out a cylinder head once on a Mini cooper to have sandblasted with walnut shells/ Dust.

|

1/22/2020 5:41 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Real powder coat laughs at most paint strippers and most chemicals.. It's not a paint like enamel or laquer, more like a plastic coating/powder, baked, and melted on.

The only way to take off real powder coat is blasting, sanding, acid dipping..

Nothing really likes to stick to aluminum generally speaking.. Even powder coated aluminum chips easier and bigger chipps than steel or molly coated the same.

Anodized aluminum can be easy or tough to remove the anodized coating with oven cleaner, depending on the molecular depth of the coating. I've tried some parts that only got lighter in color and not straight raw with that process. Anodizing is tough, for real...

Just my experiences, restoring you name it...

I had a powdercoated frame and I used paint stripper on it, took it off in 3 coats. Came off kinda like how plasti-dip does-more peeling than anything, but it did bubble etc.

BUT it was a lot more work than typical paint.

I would be cautious on oven cleaner on alloy to remove ano though-heard of it pitting if you leave it too long (not sure how valid that is)-I would probably just soak a rag and scrub to avoid.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/22/2020 8:37 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Real powder coat laughs at most paint strippers and most chemicals.. It's not a paint like enamel or laquer, more like a plastic coating/powder, baked, and melted on.

The only way to take off real powder coat is blasting, sanding, acid dipping..

Nothing really likes to stick to aluminum generally speaking.. Even powder coated aluminum chips easier and bigger chipps than steel or molly coated the same.

Anodized aluminum can be easy or tough to remove the anodized coating with oven cleaner, depending on the molecular depth of the coating. I've tried some parts that only got lighter in color and not straight raw with that process. Anodizing is tough, for real...

Just my experiences, restoring you name it...

I strip powdercoated stuff multiple times a week with cheap Walmart stripper. Bars, frames, alloy bits - you name it.

It’s much less time consuming than using oven cleaner on anodized stuff - and without the risk of pitting the metal if you let it soak too long.

That’s just my experience with stripping BMX parts for work anyways.



Also, it’s worth mentioning that I use the aerosol stripper. The stuff that comes in a tin can, like paint thinner, acetone, etc. doesn’t usually stand a chance against powdercoat.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/22/2020 11:02 AM

|