Praising/Ranting on BMX Companies

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2019 10:12 AM

Hey guys really interested to hear your thoughts and opinions on BMX companies. Which ones can’t you stand and which ones will you defend to your dying breath? Thanks and let’s keep it civil.

|

10/17/2019 11:47 AM

It’s all irrelevant. The majority of frames and parts are made in the same handful of factories in Taiwan. And the quality is (arguably/probably/maybe) as good as US made.

You’re all buying into an image. Nothing more.

|

10/17/2019 11:50 AM

.pegless. wrote:

It’s all irrelevant. The majority of frames and parts are made in the same handful of factories in Taiwan. And the quality is (arguably/probably/maybe) as good as US made.

You’re all buying into an image. Nothing more.

Although this might be true, customer service isn't all made equal.

I lost a crank bolt yesterday just to get on the phone today with Premium and they mailed me a replacement free of charge.

I've heard of similar good experiences people have had with companies like Odyssey, BSD, etc.

|

10/17/2019 12:28 PM

.pegless. wrote:

It’s all irrelevant. The majority of frames and parts are made in the same handful of factories in Taiwan. And the quality is (arguably/probably/maybe) as good as US made.

You’re all buying into an image. Nothing more.

False. Some people care where their dollar goes. I know not all but there is more to it. I want to support brands that have been around the sport for a long time and are primarily domestic in manufacture. So to me, Standard/S&M/FBM are where I go first looking for frames. After that I’m buying for price and features and design. It’s not just image. I’d think a lot of others spend their money on more than just an image.

|

10/17/2019 12:39 PM

.pegless. wrote:

It’s all irrelevant. The majority of frames and parts are made in the same handful of factories in Taiwan. And the quality is (arguably/probably/maybe) as good as US made.

You’re all buying into an image. Nothing more.

BillyBigRigger wrote:

False. Some people care where their dollar goes. I know not all but there is more to it. I want to support brands that have been around the sport for a long time and are primarily domestic in manufacture. So to me, Standard/S&M/FBM are where I go first looking for frames. After that I’m buying for price and features and design. It’s not just image. I’d think a lot of others spend their money on more than just an image.

But you’re buying into the image of those brands. It’s up to you where you buy from and what you buy. It’s your choice to support them. But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. You didn’t mention odyssey, yet they’re a core brand that’s been around longer than standard and fbm (possibly S&m too?) And they’re one of the only innovative brands out there. No love for Hoffman either? how about T1? Animal?

|

10/17/2019 1:54 PM

.pegless. wrote:

But you’re buying into the image of those brands. It’s up to you where you buy from and what you buy. It’s your choice to support them. But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. You didn’t mention odyssey, yet they’re a core brand that’s been around longer than standard and fbm (possibly S&m too?) And they’re one of the only innovative brands out there. No love for Hoffman either? how about T1? Animal?

"But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. "

They have deep roots and are still standing because of their quality.

<°)))>{

|



10/17/2019 4:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 5:43 PM

Lets change the subject and actually answer the question.

Fuck Mafia.

Merritt, Animal, & Shadow will always have my heart. And Odyssey is great as well.

|

10/17/2019 5:41 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Lets change the subject and actually answer the question.

Fuck Mafia.

Merritt, Animal, & Shadow will always have my heart. And Odyssey is great as well.

Haha thank you yeah fuck mafia but why hyper?

|

10/17/2019 5:44 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Lets change the subject and actually answer the question.

Fuck Mafia.

Merritt, Animal, & Shadow will always have my heart. And Odyssey is great as well.

NoobBro1 wrote:

Haha thank you yeah fuck mafia but why hyper?

My bad. I took Hyper off. I went to the website awhile ago and scotty's name wasn't on there. Its back. LOL

|

10/17/2019 8:01 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

False. Some people care where their dollar goes. I know not all but there is more to it. I want to support brands that have been around the sport for a long time and are primarily domestic in manufacture. So to me, Standard/S&M/FBM are where I go first looking for frames. After that I’m buying for price and features and design. It’s not just image. I’d think a lot of others spend their money on more than just an image.

.pegless. wrote:

But you’re buying into the image of those brands. It’s up to you where you buy from and what you buy. It’s your choice to support them. But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. You didn’t mention odyssey, yet they’re a core brand that’s been around longer than standard and fbm (possibly S&m too?) And they’re one of the only innovative brands out there. No love for Hoffman either? how about T1? Animal?

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

"But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. "

They have deep roots and are still standing because of their quality.

<°)))>{

Prove to me they’re better quality. S&m make frames, forks and bars. Everything else is just rebranded. Every s&m frame I’ve seen in the last 6 or so years has had questionable looking welds (yeah they might still be a good solid weld, but for the money I’d expect better). They don’t make their stems, so a stem made by the same manufacturer is the same. Their seats are rebranded velo, the small parts are made in Taiwan, like every other brand.

15 years ago they were probably better quality. And they’re made out of “better” material. But that’s not all there is to it.

Support them if you want. But saying you buy it because it’s better quality is just a justification.

|

10/17/2019 8:21 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Prove to me they’re better quality. S&m make frames, forks and bars. Everything else is just rebranded. Every s&m frame I’ve seen in the last 6 or so years has had questionable looking welds (yeah they might still be a good solid weld, but for the money I’d expect better). They don’t make their stems, so a stem made by the same manufacturer is the same. Their seats are rebranded velo, the small parts are made in Taiwan, like every other brand.

15 years ago they were probably better quality. And they’re made out of “better” material. But that’s not all there is to it.

Support them if you want. But saying you buy it because it’s better quality is just a justification.

I didn't say "better quality"..

I said "quality"..

It was the best stuff sure, but others have stepped up since then, now they are almost the same which you agree with in your post.

They are still companies that have always been there for some of us..

I remember when Gyros came out, replacing rotors almost immediately..

I still like Odyssey so what?

|



10/17/2019 8:43 PM

Btw what’s up with everyone loving premium? Both my friends with aftermarket frames have gotten dents from fucking up grinds that ive fucked up worse and one even snapped his frame from a 360 he landed out the bowl? Premium seems premium in name only?

|

10/17/2019 10:11 PM

.pegless. wrote:

But you’re buying into the image of those brands. It’s up to you where you buy from and what you buy. It’s your choice to support them. But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. You didn’t mention odyssey, yet they’re a core brand that’s been around longer than standard and fbm (possibly S&m too?) And they’re one of the only innovative brands out there. No love for Hoffman either? how about T1? Animal?

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

"But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. "

They have deep roots and are still standing because of their quality.

<°)))>{

.pegless. wrote:

Prove to me they’re better quality. S&m make frames, forks and bars. Everything else is just rebranded. Every s&m frame I’ve seen in the last 6 or so years has had questionable looking welds (yeah they might still be a good solid weld, but for the money I’d expect better). They don’t make their stems, so a stem made by the same manufacturer is the same. Their seats are rebranded velo, the small parts are made in Taiwan, like every other brand.

15 years ago they were probably better quality. And they’re made out of “better” material. But that’s not all there is to it.

Support them if you want. But saying you buy it because it’s better quality is just a justification.

99.9% sure S&M manufactures (or has them manufactured) their alloy parts in the U.S. Unless they have been falsely advertising them as U.S. Made..

I think they’re manufacturing the Fit Blunt cranks too? Even their grips are USA made by ODI.

They may have some bits, like seats, made overseas, but they definitely make a whole lot more than Frames Forks and Bars lol

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


10/17/2019 11:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2019 9:07 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

"But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. "

They have deep roots and are still standing because of their quality.

<°)))>{

.pegless. wrote:

Prove to me they’re better quality. S&m make frames, forks and bars. Everything else is just rebranded. Every s&m frame I’ve seen in the last 6 or so years has had questionable looking welds (yeah they might still be a good solid weld, but for the money I’d expect better). They don’t make their stems, so a stem made by the same manufacturer is the same. Their seats are rebranded velo, the small parts are made in Taiwan, like every other brand.

15 years ago they were probably better quality. And they’re made out of “better” material. But that’s not all there is to it.

Support them if you want. But saying you buy it because it’s better quality is just a justification.

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

99.9% sure S&M manufactures (or has them manufactured) their alloy parts in the U.S. Unless they have been falsely advertising them as U.S. Made..

I think they’re manufacturing the Fit Blunt cranks too? Even their grips are USA made by ODI.

They may have some bits, like seats, made overseas, but they definitely make a whole lot more than Frames Forks and Bars lol

I didn’t say the alloy parts weren’t US made, I said s&m don’t make them. So whoever makes them probably makes the US made relic stems too, as well as others ( not the new fbm pma though as that’s made in Taiwan). Therefore, they’re the same quality.

S&m make frames, forks, bars, and weld together some cranks.

|

10/17/2019 11:17 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

"But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. "

They have deep roots and are still standing because of their quality.

<°)))>{

.pegless. wrote:

Prove to me they’re better quality. S&m make frames, forks and bars. Everything else is just rebranded. Every s&m frame I’ve seen in the last 6 or so years has had questionable looking welds (yeah they might still be a good solid weld, but for the money I’d expect better). They don’t make their stems, so a stem made by the same manufacturer is the same. Their seats are rebranded velo, the small parts are made in Taiwan, like every other brand.

15 years ago they were probably better quality. And they’re made out of “better” material. But that’s not all there is to it.

Support them if you want. But saying you buy it because it’s better quality is just a justification.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I didn't say "better quality"..

I said "quality"..

It was the best stuff sure, but others have stepped up since then, now they are almost the same which you agree with in your post.

They are still companies that have always been there for some of us..

I remember when Gyros came out, replacing rotors almost immediately..

I still like Odyssey so what?

But plenty of other companies have been around just as long, maybe longer. Or actually do a lot more for bmx.
I used to like fbm because they do a lot for bmx, off their own back, and don’t take it too seriously. I’m just another customer to them though. I admin the fbm owners group page on fbm, and have spent a lot of money on fbm stuff. It still took 10 long months with very little communication for my custom frame to get to me. But how many brands actually give back and support small local scenes? When was the last time standard really did anything? Why not support robbo with cult? I mean, the whole team left standard in the late 90’s, which tells me something was up with them.

|

10/18/2019 8:43 AM

.grumpypegless.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

10/18/2019 8:47 AM

I support whoever gives me a good product for the price.

Frame prices from these older companies are ridiculous now. I’m not paying 400 dollars shipped for an s&m, fbm or t1 (standards are upwards of 460 shipped) when I could get a federal, mutiny, volume, United, or whatever for 320.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

10/18/2019 4:29 PM

.pegless. wrote:

It’s all irrelevant. The majority of frames and parts are made in the same handful of factories in Taiwan. And the quality is (arguably/probably/maybe) as good as US made.

You’re all buying into an image. Nothing more.

BillyBigRigger wrote:

False. Some people care where their dollar goes. I know not all but there is more to it. I want to support brands that have been around the sport for a long time and are primarily domestic in manufacture. So to me, Standard/S&M/FBM are where I go first looking for frames. After that I’m buying for price and features and design. It’s not just image. I’d think a lot of others spend their money on more than just an image.

.pegless. wrote:

But you’re buying into the image of those brands. It’s up to you where you buy from and what you buy. It’s your choice to support them. But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. You didn’t mention odyssey, yet they’re a core brand that’s been around longer than standard and fbm (possibly S&m too?) And they’re one of the only innovative brands out there. No love for Hoffman either? how about T1? Animal?

Oh Jesus. You argue for arguments sake I swear.

|

10/18/2019 4:33 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Lets change the subject and actually answer the question.

Fuck Mafia.

Merritt, Animal, & Shadow will always have my heart. And Odyssey is great as well.

I personally find Merritt pretty lame. But I understand that others might be into them and that’s fine.

|

10/18/2019 6:42 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Lets change the subject and actually answer the question.

Fuck Mafia.

Merritt, Animal, & Shadow will always have my heart. And Odyssey is great as well.

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I personally find Merritt pretty lame. But I understand that others might be into them and that’s fine.

But why lame? The team has OGs and young talent. Their parts hold up. I always hear complaints but never any reasons.

|

10/18/2019 7:36 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

False. Some people care where their dollar goes. I know not all but there is more to it. I want to support brands that have been around the sport for a long time and are primarily domestic in manufacture. So to me, Standard/S&M/FBM are where I go first looking for frames. After that I’m buying for price and features and design. It’s not just image. I’d think a lot of others spend their money on more than just an image.

.pegless. wrote:

But you’re buying into the image of those brands. It’s up to you where you buy from and what you buy. It’s your choice to support them. But you’re supporting them because of their roots, not the quality of what they make. You didn’t mention odyssey, yet they’re a core brand that’s been around longer than standard and fbm (possibly S&m too?) And they’re one of the only innovative brands out there. No love for Hoffman either? how about T1? Animal?

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Oh Jesus. You argue for arguments sake I swear.

Not at all. I bet the vast majority of riders buy parts from the brands they think are cool. And that’s perfectly fine. I just find it weird that people don’t admit it.

|

10/18/2019 8:25 PM

I dislike bonedeth, mostly because I hate Sean Burns

|

fack off

10/18/2019 9:17 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

I dislike bonedeth, mostly because I hate Sean Burns

Why do u hate Sean

|

10/18/2019 10:56 PM

If the geo is right and it’s on sale, I’ll buy it, I’m past caring who makes what and why, with a few exceptions.

|

Ride everything

10/19/2019 5:11 AM

I ride a Mafia Hitmain frame and fork. Tons of people are hating them but i decided to order a green fuel and they sent me a free fork. So far they have been great and I love it.

I support company’s who build bikes to my style. Lowe standover. Steep headtube. Helps if they have a shredder on their team.

I don’t ride street and im a park rat so cinema, Merritt etc I don’t buy since it just isn’t my style.

I don’t hate a single company besides cult. Frick them.

|

10/19/2019 9:47 AM

Mulletsnax wrote:

I ride a Mafia Hitmain frame and fork. Tons of people are hating them but i decided to order a green fuel and they sent me a free fork. So far they have been great and I love it.

I support company’s who build bikes to my style. Lowe standover. Steep headtube. Helps if they have a shredder on their team.

I don’t ride street and im a park rat so cinema, Merritt etc I don’t buy since it just isn’t my style.

I don’t hate a single company besides cult. Frick them.

Frick them? How old are you 😂

|

10/19/2019 10:47 AM

FBM/S&M/Odyssey should be the blueprint for how things should be done, from a company standpoint. people can say whatever they want about their parts, personal taste/opinion, etc. test of time and their quality speaks for itself. that being said, these brands do have things that i dont care for, parts/style/looks etc. ive just had nothing but good luck with all the things ive ever used or experienced from each of them.

from a pure style standpoint, i like BSD. might not be the highest quality, but they certainly know how to make some crazy nice looking pieces.

one thing that can turn me off to a company (as immature as it may sound) is a specific rider. i know it sounds stupid but if i dont like what theyre about or their vibe turns me off, im out. not naming names, lets just say Merritt and Cult.

now, ill be a bit hypocritical here, the amount of time a company has been around doesnt automatically equal a win for me. i personally do not care for Profile. just a preference. im sure their parts have satisfied many. im just not into them.

lastly, Animal = always love.

|

bikes destroy vlogs.

ref: slade_vincent, shutta, ecuadevil, theprophet, blackmammoth, sfb, element4all, bmx-junkie, kurtnut, nickg, jessebmx, dontDELETE, krbmx17, ninjacat, freddydapice, waanng, ivan, scramhype, motogrizz, tomdon, dream, hatebreeder, noendinsight666, asilva, wolfen, superstarDK, skubasteve, aebasher, many more.

10/19/2019 10:49 AM

S&M is the only company that has USA made frames, bars, forks and stems in the geo I like, so that's why I continue to buy those parts.

Also, Steve how can you say that S&M doesn't use any better quality materials, or "used" better quality materials in the past? They're currently the only company that uses Vari-Wall THERMLX tubing on all of their frames...

|

10/19/2019 10:49 AM

Not a fan of subrosa or any of their other companies like shadow or rant...their parts always give me trouble or dont last

Always had good experiences with kink and their companies, even mission

|

10/19/2019 11:10 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

S&M is the only company that has USA made frames, bars, forks and stems in the geo I like, so that's why I continue to buy those parts.

Also, Steve how can you say that S&M doesn't use any better quality materials, or "used" better quality materials in the past? They're currently the only company that uses Vari-Wall THERMLX tubing on all of their frames...

Material quality doesn't matter when you can't weld worth a shit.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital