Primo Freemix Pro - does not fit with hub guards

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2018 8:25 AM

I'm running an S&M ATF and my rear wheel is a Primo Freemix Pro laced to an Odyssey 7AK. In trying to install the rear wheel, I noticed that it doesn't fit when trying to use the supplied hub guards, which from what I understand are specific to the Primo hub. Is this normal? Should it fit? Do I really need to torque the frame in order to squeeze the hub into the dropouts? Wouldn't that potentially screw up the hub? Sorry for all the questions - first time building a bike up from scratch. Thanks.

|

8/24/2018 9:20 AM

How off is it? I had a brand new S&M Black Magic frame and everything was pretty difficult to get into place. The BB was a bitch, the rear wheel with hub guards was a bitch, and even the front wheel (into a new S&M pitchfork) took 2 people to get in.

Can you post a pic of how off it is? Plenty of people have to "stretch" their frame to get a fully guarded wheel in.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/24/2018 9:30 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

How off is it? I had a brand new S&M Black Magic frame and everything was pretty difficult to get into place. The BB was a ...more

I'm glad you replied because I've had similar issues with my build; except for the fork, I ordered a custom Pitchfork that I needed to accommodate a 14mm axle, fit like a (snug) glove. I'll try to get a pic tonight when I get home.

|

8/24/2018 9:35 AM

bigmac53 wrote:

I'm glad you replied because I've had similar issues with my build; except for the fork, I ordered a custom Pitchfork that I ...more

I think it might be an S&M specific thing. I just built a Mothership from parts taken from my S&M and everything went in like a breeze. It took like one good whack with a rubber mallet to get the BB in. The Black Magic BB install took like 10 solid minutes, and even then they were only really properly fitted after the cranks were installed and tightened.

So if we're talking like 1/8"-1/4" you might just need to muscle it in there. These frames are made to bend and flex so it shouldn't hurt anything.

|

8/24/2018 9:41 AM

thanks - yes, my BB also took a lot of convincing from my rubber mallet... Also, I think the hub+guards is definitely less than a 1/4" inch wider than the width of the rear dropouts - my main concern wasn't the frame, it was the compression on the rear hub. I thought that maybe by really muscling it in there would damage (or potentially damage) the hub; but I could just be overthinking it. I was just worried about taking the risk on what is probably a $300 wheel that I really don't wan't to rebuild.

|

8/24/2018 9:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2018 10:21 AM

bigmac53 wrote:

thanks - yes, my BB also took a lot of convincing from my rubber mallet... Also, I think the hub+guards is definitely less ...more

I mean what do you think happens when you tighten your axle bolts?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/24/2018 9:47 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

that's a fair point - hence my "over thinking it" comment

|

8/24/2018 9:57 AM

bigmac53 wrote:

thanks - yes, my BB also took a lot of convincing from my rubber mallet... Also, I think the hub+guards is definitely less ...more

Nah I wouldn't worry about that. I hear you though, once you get a nice piece for your bike, you don't wanna fuck it up on the install. If its less than 1/4" have a friend or someone just kinda stand over the downtube with the bike upside down and kinda stretch the frame a bit. Once you get it in there and tighten things up it'll be fine.

|

8/24/2018 10:20 AM

bigmac53 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

bigmac53 wrote:

Its all good dude, i was just fucking with youlaughing

And ive been in the same place as you, so i know what you mean by "over thinking" itwink

|

8/24/2018 10:29 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

And ive been in the same place as you, so i know what you mean by "over ...more

I gotcha, no offense taken! I'm just so anxious to get out and ride this fucking thing!

|

8/24/2018 10:35 AM

bigmac53 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

And ive been in the same place as you, so i know what you mean by "over ...more

bigmac53 wrote:

I gotcha, no offense taken! I'm just so anxious to get out and ride this fucking thing!

I feel you bro... i just installed a new badass gyro on my ride and cant ride it due to a broken wrist :/

I think ive got 2 weeks left. Could be more though...

|

8/24/2018 12:16 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I feel you bro... i just installed a new badass gyro on my ride and cant ride it due to a broken wrist :/

I think ive got 2 ...more

You should be out practicing one-handers.

|

8/24/2018 12:34 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

You should be out practicing one-handers.

laughinglaughing
|

8/24/2018 9:20 PM

The Freemix Pro has press-fit guards that do not take up any additional space on the axle. Even with the hubguards, it is the same width as any other rear hub.

Frame might just be off a bit, doesn't surprise me coming from S&M

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx