Primo Mix vs Odyssey V3. Which and why?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2016 1:33 PM

I have both, but can't decide which one I'd rather use. I've been using the V3 for the last month or so, but switched to the Mix after I got it over the weekend just to try it out since I had a Primo hub before the V3 and it was great. I've built my bike with almost all Odyssey parts because I know their stuff is legit, and I like the look of a low flange V3 hub alot more because the Mix is ugly imo. I also have a Hazard V2 front hub, so the V3 rear does look alot closer to matching with it compared to the Mix (and is also the same color, the Mix isn't). But tbh, I trust the driver/pawl system on the Mix alot more since the driver on the V3 wiggles a bit even when tightened all the way down, and only has 3 pawls with a ring, where as the Mix driver is flush and tight and has 4 pawls on individual springs. Both have pros and cons, so if these were your only choices for a rear hub, which one would you run and why? And I run my hubs completely caked in grease for silence, so I don't want to hear any "Mix because it's louder" bs. Lol

|

1/14/2016 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2016 1:41 PM

Beat the shit out of one till it explodes then do the same to the other , just don't be one of the guys who picks and chooses because ones louder or one team dropped somebody , function over fashion

|

1/14/2016 2:47 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Beat the shit out of one till it explodes then do the same to the other , just don't be one of the guys who picks and chooses ...more

This is exactly what I was thinking, but I don't think I ride hard enough to destroy either tbh. Lol. I'm asking more because I would like to keep one wheel and sell the other. The Mix is laced to a Hazard Lite hoop (V3 is to a Quadrant), which I'm keeping either way since my front is a Hazard too. I'm just looking for input hub wise so I can either swap out the hubs or just keep them the way they are. Relacing them doesn't bother me tho because I like doing it for the experience. But yeah, I'm not one of those types of people that chooses based on looks, as I'd rather have an ugly part that will withstand abuse and do it's job better than a nice one that's garbage. The sound makes no difference to me tho since I strongly prefer silent hubs over annoying buzzing. And lol, not even. I've always trusted Odyssey's stuff regardless of who was on (or off) the team. Quality speaks for itself, a good team is just a bonus imo.

|

1/14/2016 3:10 PM

Swap the rims and beat on the Quardrant setup then go to the Hazard to V3.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/14/2016 3:53 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Swap the rims and beat on the Quardrant setup then go to the Hazard to V3.

That was the plan tbh. Lol. I've also been riding alot of dirt lately since this recent "storm" (what you midwest/east coast guys consider light drizzle. Haha), and don't exactly want to take the V3 in the dirt since the driver isn't sealed as well as the Mix. Is the driver on the V3 supposed to have a rubber/plastic seal ring around it? Because mine doesn't and I think that may be the problem why it's not sitting flush with the hub shell causing it to rock back and forth. But I know alot of people have sworn by the Mix as one of the most reliable hubs, while alot of others have said the V3 usually has problems. All the previous responses are old tho, so I was wondering if views had changed over the years based on people's experiences.

|

1/14/2016 4:35 PM

I would ride the Primo Mix... I have the Cult Match punished it intill the axle finally stripped. . Now slamming A female axle in to punish it some more.. Hub is strong as hell but i don't grind either

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

1/14/2016 4:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2016 4:57 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

I would ride the Primo Mix... I have the Cult Match punished it intill the axle finally stripped. . Now slamming A female axle ...more

I also thought about this as well, but I'm not completely sold on the female axle trend and don't think I ever will be. I think it's possible to get the conversion kit for both, but I may be wrong about that. And that's exactly what happened with my Pro hub. It's old as hell but is in nearly perfect condition still other than the axle, which was my fault in the end. I kept going thru axle nuts, but instead of just grinding off the small part of the axle end that was stripped, I got pissed one day and just ran a nut onto it and unfortunately destroyed it all the way to the dropout. In hindsight, not the smartest idea, but it did give me a valid excuse to buy a somewhat newer 36h hub/wheel instead. Lol. And I'm nowhere near smooth with my grinds, so that is a concern of mine as well. I thought I got lucky and had a hub guard that would work, but it doesn't work with either of these hubs (Animal PYN)

|

1/14/2016 5:55 PM

Primo Mix for sure.

I've seen & heard of too many Hazard hubs shitting out mainly due to the drivers.

|

1/14/2016 6:20 PM

I'd ride the Mix because it seems better and you can sell the Odyssey because it's not favourable compared to the mix and people will buy Odyssey parts like nothing .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/14/2016 10:48 PM

See, both hubs are solid, both 9t drivers are needle bearing, strong axles, however spare odyssey parts are more plentiful. Honestly id love a mix though.

|

1/15/2016 7:47 AM

I've had both the Primo Mix and Remix and i have to say that both have been stellar hubs. they can be beat to absolute shit but they'll survive. they've always been loved and there's good reason for it. a friend of mine has the v3 and its slowly starting to break. from personal experience mix.v3 but the mix is a heavy fucker if that matters to you.

|

Real riding from the streets of Windsor, Ontario.
Video in the works...stay tuned
Follow:Instagram

@4piece4pegshit

1/19/2016 2:02 AM

Some good points in this thread. Well, guess I'll stick with the Mix then. Doesn't look the best, but I trust it more and that's what matters in the end. Saves me from having to de/re-lace 2 wheels and I can just keep the other wheel as a spare, so a plus as well. Now if I could just find the same front wheel as my current one but in 36h, I'd be super happy. And lol bigbrother, nah, the weight doesn't really matter to me. My bike is front end heavy, so if anything i could use a little more back there to help even it out.

|