Primo aneyerlator v2 or shadow chula,what should I get?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2014 8:04 AM

I need a new stem now,I used MacNeil top shelf before,it's very light but not very strong.They got together by the pinch bolts.
And what stem should I get?Primo aneyerlator v2 or shadow chula?Or éclat burns?Which is stronger?And which will not have the problem like my MacNeil before.

|

1/20/2014 8:05 AM

Both of that stems are great, so go with the one you like more.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/20/2014 8:18 AM

I don't know much about the Primo, but the Chula looks solid and looks good. I always thought the Burns stem doesn't look that strong considering it's Sean Burns stem, and I do know someone who badly cracked one. But that's the only evidence I have that they are weak, so it could well be fine.

|

1/20/2014 8:21 AM

Have a Chula and they're great! I can't really tell you how well it holds or anything because I've only had it since Christmas but it hasn't slipped yet and I doubt it will. Plus it looks sick!

|

1/20/2014 8:32 AM

The primo is stronger. Simply because its made out of 7075 alloy instead of 6061. However, that means the metal doesn't conform to your bars clamping area as well. So make sure your bars have a VERY knobby clamping area before buying it otherwise theyll never stay in place.

The Èclat is made out of the same material (7075) so the same applies to it. I had an Èclat Burns stem and loved it, however my stock bars wouldn't work with it and ALWAYS slipped. I bought some Animal Scerbos off my friend and the problem went away.

The Shadow is made out of 6061, like majority of stems on the market, so it will work better with less knobby bars. Its fairly new and hasnt been out long so theres no real reviews on it, though it looks superb! Id definitely try one.

Mind you, theres nothing wrong with a 6061 stem. Most of the popular stems are 6061, and not many companies make 7075 stems.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/20/2014 8:49 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The primo is stronger. Simply because its made out of 7075 alloy instead of 6061. However, that means the metal doesn't conform to your bars clamping area as well. So make sure your bars have a VERY knobby clamping area before buying it otherwise theyll never stay in place.

The Èclat is made out of the same material (7075) so the same applies to it. I had an Èclat Burns stem and loved it, however my stock bars wouldn't work with it and ALWAYS slipped. I bought some Animal Scerbos off my friend and the problem went away.

The Shadow is made out of 6061, like majority of stems on the market, so it will work better with less knobby bars. Its fairly new and hasnt been out long so theres no real reviews on it, though it looks superb! Id definitely try one.

Mind you, theres nothing wrong with a 6061 stem. Most of the popular stems are 6061, and not many companies make 7075 stems.

A 7075 Stem isn't automatically stronger than a 6061 Stem. It depends on the design. If a 7075 Stem has lots of cutouts and a 6061 Stem has very few then the 6061 stem could well be stronger.

|

1/20/2014 8:53 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

A 7075 Stem isn't automatically stronger than a 6061 Stem. It depends on the design. If a 7075 Stem has lots of cutouts and a 6061 Stem has very few then the 6061 stem could well be stronger.

Yeah but the Primo doesnt have any cut outs and theres a few versions of the Eclat Burns. Mine had cutouts but they weren't crazy. The newer ones dont.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/20/2014 9:06 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Yeah but the Primo doesnt have any cut outs and theres a few versions of the Eclat Burns. Mine had cutouts but they weren't crazy. The newer ones dont.

Emmm...The primo cutouts in its inside.

|

1/20/2014 9:13 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Kendongbmx wrote:

Thats how most stems are. Those arent cutouts necessarily, its just the internal machining. By cutout I think he means a full hole all the way through the stem. Like the Premium Sub10.

|

1/20/2014 9:21 AM

I got a chula stem in Polish, no stupid flimsy cut out or anything.

Only slipped due to user error.

Photo

Photo

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

1/20/2014 9:24 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Kendongbmx wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Thats how most stems are. Those arent cutouts necessarily, its just the internal machining. By cutout I think he means a full hole all the way through the stem. Like the Premium Sub10.

Yeah I meant like the Sub10. My point was that the way you said it sounded to me like you meant any 7075 Stem will be stronger than any 6061 Stem, which isn't necessarily true.

|

1/20/2014 9:31 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Yeah I meant like the Sub10. My point was that the way you said it sounded to me like you meant any 7075 Stem will be stronger than any 6061 Stem, which isn't necessarily true.

Understandable haha. But yeah I meant material wise. If you make the same stem twice, one in 7075 and one in 6061, the 7075 will be stronger. However, if you dont have decent bars it will suck. I think a 7075 stem with a 6061 faceplate would be badass. Strong but doesn't slip.

|

1/20/2014 9:36 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Understandable haha. But yeah I meant material wise. If you make the same stem twice, one in 7075 and one in 6061, the 7075 will be stronger. However, if you dont have decent bars it will suck. I think a 7075 stem with a 6061 faceplate would be badass. Strong but doesn't slip.

I've never heard of 7075 stems being more prone to slipping, why would that be?

|

1/20/2014 9:46 AM

BMX_Forever wrote:

Its a harder material, it doesn't conform to the clamping area of the bars aswell. 6061 is more soft, so when you tighten it down it molds itself to your bars. This is the reason why most stems are 6061.

My Odyssey GY3s have an incredible clamping area though. The knobs literally dug holes into my profile stem. So they would work great with a 7075 stem because they would be able to dig into the stem and not need the stem to mold to them.

My friend has an Aneyalator and Tree Branch bars and his bars move literally every hour. My stock bars were the same with my Eclat Burns. Animal Scerbos + Èclat Burns worked great though.

|

1/20/2014 9:51 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Its a harder material, it doesn't conform to the clamping area of the bars aswell. 6061 is more soft, so when you tighten it down it molds itself to your bars. This is the reason why most stems are 6061.

My Odyssey GY3s have an incredible clamping area though. The knobs literally dug holes into my profile stem. So they would work great with a 7075 stem because they would be able to dig into the stem and not need the stem to mold to them.

My friend has an Aneyalator and Tree Branch bars and his bars move literally every hour. My stock bars were the same with my Eclat Burns. Animal Scerbos + Èclat Burns worked great though.

Yeah I see what you mean.

|

1/20/2014 10:15 AM

Because 7075 is less pliable than 6061.

The 6061 can distort slightly to grip tighter while 7075 being a generally harder alloy does not conform to the bars as easily.

I may be talking drunk bollocks though but thats my brief understanding of it.

However processes can affect the stem, forging, CNC, cutouts, even bolt size can change the durability and property of the alloy.

|

1/20/2014 10:20 AM

Sorry hard, didnt mean to look like i ripped your info, had this thread open while doing other things haha.

|

1/20/2014 10:23 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

Sorry hard, didnt mean to look like i ripped your info, had this thread open while doing other things haha.

It aint nothing but a thang. Haha. Thanks for explaining it better. Thats what I meant. Lol.

|

1/20/2014 11:27 AM

if those two... primo for strength, shadow for looks. but my favourite stem ever has been the BSD Race V2. the only downside is its not as knee friendly. But its strong as shit, and personally i think it looks the best. I actually had two i loved them so much, one in black and one in polished, but i sold the black one. oh and the BSD is made of 7075.

|

Insta: @devicacy

1/20/2014 11:33 AM

On aluminum, what you can't see by the manufacturers description, is a T- number behind the alloy designation. The T- number tells you the hardness of the aluminum stock. 0 being not hardened at all, and extremely soft. You could bend 0 around your finger if the extrusion or sheet metal was thin enough. Easily formed without cracking, but has to be hardened before paint. T-3 is still malable, but if your bend radius is tight, you will get cracks on the outside of the bend. T-6 is harder, and you really gotta watch your bend radius on that. Luckily, machining is a little different. If you try to machine aluminum that's too soft, it would be like trying to machine warm laughy taffy.

And your conversation got me thinking. Aluminum stock actually has a grain, kind of like wood. If you make the part with the grain going in across the part instead of with the part, it's life would be shortened by over half, and I would say closer to 75%. I'm sure that companies have qc, but sometimes one may slip through.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.